Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:09:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAfterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson (a freeware roguelike platformer!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson (a freeware roguelike platformer!)  (Read 4292 times)
Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 12, 2012, 03:57:58 AM »

So, I just released a new game. Smiley

It's called Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson, and it's somewhat of a 90s-inspired roguelike platform adventure game with quite a lot of content, procedurally generated levels and shiny unlockable things that I've been working on since around 2009. Oh, and it has online scoreboards too (here).

It's actually a prequel of sorts to my earlier two Afterlife games, and doesn't require any knowledge of the others, so it should be fine to jump right in and play even if you've not already played the first two... Although there may be some advantage to how quickly you'll pick it up if you have played the first game. Possibly.

I should maybe note that it is rather brutal, and very possibly too roguelike for most platformer fans whilst also being too skill-driven for most roguelike fans (I aim to alienate as wide an audience as possible). But if the expressions "roguelike" and "platformer" both excite you in equal measure and you're comfortable with a mid-90s level of difficulty rather than the modern trend for casual, cakewalkable games, then you might possibly quite enjoy it. Smiley

Anyways, screenshots and download link below. Smiley

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:27:03 AM by Ryan J. Bury » Logged

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 06:22:36 AM »

So, to bump this topic with a quick further news-flash, I've just released a quite large revision/expansion update to the game, taking into account a lot of feedback from players and also adding new things from my own notes that didn't make it into the first release.

As well as a lot of new items, weapons, traits and other exciting new things, the new version also makes a lot of tweaks and improvements to the core gameplay and some of the minigames, and also includes quite heavily revised training levels, which are hopefully now somewhat more succinct and inclusive.

If you've already played the game, there's a full list of changes, additions and whatnot here. Um... And if you haven't:

Game Homepage
Latest Version

Smiley

Ryan

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »

Wow, I missed the first time this was posted. I've been following these games since I discovered you through the Noctis Manual years ago. I'm going to download and play it this weekend, for sure.

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 03:47:48 AM »

Wow, I missed the first time this was posted. I've been following these games since I discovered you through the Noctis Manual years ago. I'm going to download and play it this weekend, for sure.

Wow, thanks - that must be about twelve years ago now! Dear me, how time passes. Undecided

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:31:44 AM »

With thanks to everyone who's been kind enough to forward comments and suggestions in my direction, I've just released a further expansion update to the game, with rather a lot of small and large revisions, balances, fixes, traits, upgrades and new items... Oh, and a new unlockable playable character, too. Wink

The new version is available here, and a full list of changes can be found here, for existing players. Smiley

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:33:29 AM »

With continued thanks to all the people who've kindly contributed thoughts, feedback and bug reports, edition 1.4 is now available to download, featuring a slew of bugfixes as well as gameplay revisions and some requested new features. Smiley

Homepage: here
Download: here
Release thread: here
Changelog: here

Ryan

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »

So's anyway, after several months working on this, I've just released quite a massive update to this game, making some rather sweeping changes to the core gameplay and structure, as well as adding lots of exciting new things, fixing an enormous checklist of bugs, and balancing out and rounding off a lot of the rough edges to (hopefully!) make it much more accessible and self-explanatory to new and old players alike.

This is enough of a major update that I'd even go as far as to say that the previous release and updates are somewhat more like mid-stage betas by comparison, so if you've already played and didn't enjoy it before, now might be a good time to give it a second try. Wink

Anyway, some links!

Homepage: http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3
Download: http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3/download
Scoreboards: http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3/scores
Release thread: http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1045

Have fun! Smiley

Ryan

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:55:31 AM »

Additional bump!

Following from last weekend's 1.6 release, I've just released a further update with quite a few additional tweaks and improvements, along with fixes for some things kindly reported over the past week (including two quite serious bugs which had managed to slip through the net), so updating is certainly recommended. Smiley

As always:

Full changelog: http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3/history
Scoreboards: http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3/scores
Release thread: http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1046

Have fun! Smiley

Ryan

M.C.THUGZ
BANNED
Level 0

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »

reminds me of when i was 13 asnd made gaems with mmf good times
Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »

So, I've just released another update to this game, fixing a couple of bugs, and also adding some new things, such as the ability to blast items/coins/treasure out of tricky places using your bombs, and also more detailed logs of all adventures (stored in the "Adventure Logs" folder!)

Full changelog: http://www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3/history

As always, all thoughts/comments/questions/suggestions welcome. Wink

Ryan

Mauricio Gomes
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »

Ryan how your breeder game is going?

My company site: www.kidoteca.com
My blog: www.coderofworlds.com
Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 12:41:24 PM »

Ryan how your breeder game is going?

You're not the only person to ask that recently. Wink

Ryan

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 01:20:32 PM »

Just released version 1.6.3, primarily a bug-fix roundup (including fixes to one or two quite serious bugs). As always:

Download: www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3/download
Changelog: www.rjbsoftware.co.uk/afterlife3/history

Ryan

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 08:00:50 AM »

Hello TIGSource! Coffee

After several months of work, I'm very happy to announce the release of Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson version 1.7, a massive update to my little (not so little?) roguelike-platformer, with a huge amount of major revisions and new content, including entirely new missions and even a whole new Zone for Rickard (and Raymond!) to explore!

As well as focusing a lot on early and late game balance with this update, I've also heavily revised the handling and response of combat mechanics, especially the Deadly Hunting Umbrella, which should now be far more accurate, consistent and intuitive to control, though more limited in its overall power; a change which I feel really makes for more skilled, enjoyable combat, especially combined with the ability to head-stomp enemies as part of combo attacks, leading to fast-paced decision-making in tight situations! (As a result, I'd recommend that existing pros take a refresher on DHU-use to get used to the new controls - the Target Tower and The Last Stand minigames are a great place for this!)

On a personal note, I think this is very much the best, tightest and most balanced version of the game I've yet released, and should hopefully be a big step towards making it closer to the game it deserves to be - but of course, please do play and see what you think! As always, a full list of changes is available at the game's history page.

Have fun, and of course, if you have any comments, thoughts, questions, suggestions or other feedback, please do post below to let me know! Smiley

Ryan

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 07:57:45 AM by rjb » Logged

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2014, 07:19:57 AM »

I tried it but didn't make it past the tutorial levels. It was just too much for me. I think you shouldn't force the player to sit through the lengthy tutorial levels if they don't want to. I've played video games before, I should be able to figure out most of this stuff by just playing the actual game. The game looks fun but I never even made it there because of the tutorials.

I also wish it didn't need an installer.

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 12:32:01 PM »

So... Something for the weekend! Smiley

Following on from the v1.7 release earlier this month, I'm very pleased to be able to announce the release of Afterlife 3: Legends of Rickard Bronson version 1.8, another major update with new gameplay revisions, new content, new bosses, improved game balancing, new artefacts and traits to aid adventurers on their quests, and even a useful new unlockable feature... Wink

Thanks as always to everyone who's been kind enough to make suggestions and report bugs since the last update, and of course, please do feel very welcome to post below with any further thoughts, comments, questions or suggestions!

Enjoy! Smiley

Ryan

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 07:08:12 AM »

Update: just released a bug-fix roundup with fixes for some issues reported since the 1.8 release. Smiley

As usual:

Ryan

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »

Further update: it seems a silly bug managed to sneak into yesterday's compile. Sigh. I've just uploaded a fix, so please do grab that if you've already downloaded the previous update. Sorry about that! Roll Eyes

Ryan

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 12:12:29 PM »

Just released: version 1.9!

This update adds a new weapon and several revisions to item behaviour (including the ability to use fuel barrels as a crude form of improvised bomb!)

As always:

Ryan

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 04:43:47 PM »

So, I've just released a further update to this game, with some small bugfixes, gameplay balance revisions, and the ability to save adventure logs to the Documents folder. Smiley

And of course, all comments/ideas/feedback/suggestions welcome as always. Smiley

Ryan

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic