Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:26:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XIII- Kids Game (PythonBlue Wins!!!)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XIII- Kids Game (PythonBlue Wins!!!)  (Read 6491 times)
gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:17:54 AM »

First, the Law:
-I (the host) will provide a theme for the challenge.
-You will be given TWO WEEKs to compose one song with said theme.
-The song must be a new track made for this challenge.
-You will post your song HERE, in the official challenge thread.
-Other participants will listen to your song. You will listen to other participants' songs. Critique will be had.
-A winner will be chosen by the host.
-The winner will host the next challenge.

Ok!  Ready to dive into the quirky, silly, warmhearted, and hilarious world of video games that target the little ones.  Ready to leave behind your jaded views of the world and remember what it felt to be en-rapt and enthralled by cute animals with big eyes and silly voices.  I hope so because the TIGsource Musical Challenge XIII is:

Kids Game!!!!

Really, its very open ended.  Lately I have been playing "Botanicula" by Amanita Designs and have been charmed to tears by its beautifully innovative soundtrack.  It made me think of how much fun these little games can be even for adults because it reminds us of being a kid, which is good never to forget (I am convinced that no one really grows up anyways- but thats a different subject).

SO!!

Show us what you got.  If you want to make 30 seconds, or 10 minutes of music I dont care.  Have fun and be as creative as you want.  I am down if it gets abstract (just to keep it interesting).  If you have any questions let me know.

Final Submissions must be submitted by Midnight, September 29th EST

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:51:38 AM by gryphonsnyder » Logged
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »

Awesome idea, Griff!

I'm a big fan of Amanita too, by the way. Great reference.
Hope I can find the time to enter. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to hearing some wacky tunes from you guys!

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »

shit yeah, i love this theme!

gonna get real silly!

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 03:50:40 PM »

Neat topic! I really hope I will find time to participate since I'm a little busy right now. But I'm already looking forward towards hearing some of your awesome tunes again.  Well, hello there!
gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »

@Calum I was totally thinking your Super Ubi Land Theme when I came up with the challenge.
EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 12:39:41 AM »

Hm, love the idea of this theme but.. What would be considered kid-like?
I mean I guess it would have to be something retro considering I can't think of many games with note-worthy soundtracks aimed at kids. But thinking back the music I enjoyed during my youth, playing games, can pretty much be summed up by the range of Pokemon games.. Huge variety of music in those games.

Hm it's going to be difficult to choose just what direction I take.
gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:52:25 AM »

Good question.  I think what is great about most games is their appeal to both adults and kids alike.  I like that they touch on a spot they transcends maturity.  So when i say "Kids Game, I think I mostly mean the games that have a sort of innocent appeal.  Like Mario, like Katamari Damacy and so on.

So maybe I was thinking the "cartoon-ish" genres.  I dont want to start a riot by saying that i think Mario is just for kids.  But a game like that is equally accessible to a kid as it is towards an adult which isn't an easy thing to do.  Thats what i mean. 

Not first person shooters, or even RPG's.  Im thinking silly, simple, Angry Birds style games that they sell stuffed animals of and go on to make cartoon episodes and sugar cereals.

Hope this helps.
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »

this is my pre-entry entry... it is definitely not my entry. Jus' warming up...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yetm40n72cizyds/moshi.mp3

i wrote this on the way home from a japanese lesson the words are:
もしもうしわけはないだからもしもしと言うJUST SAY HI
moshi moushiwake ha nai, dakara moshi moshi to iu just say hi
loosely translated to "if there's no excuse, say hi, just say hi"

i felt i really needed to get it off my chest and put it somewhere. ignore this for all intents and purposes of the competition.

LOOKING FORWARD TO ACTUALLY ENTERING THE COMP

gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »

F ya.  Dude you might make millions writing J pop songs.  Thats a catchy hook.  Just need some verses and a really cute 20 year girl to sing it and you wont need to worry about scoring video games.

YATTA!
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »

hahaha that's the dream. i've been toying around with vocaloid so maybe that really cute 20 yr old girl isn't too far away.

let the competition continue!

EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »

Good question.  I think what is great about most games is their appeal to both adults and kids alike.  I like that they touch on a spot they transcends maturity.  So when i say "Kids Game, I think I mostly mean the games that have a sort of innocent appeal.  Like Mario, like Katamari Damacy and so on.

So maybe I was thinking the "cartoon-ish" genres.  I dont want to start a riot by saying that i think Mario is just for kids.  But a game like that is equally accessible to a kid as it is towards an adult which isn't an easy thing to do.  Thats what i mean. 

Not first person shooters, or even RPG's.  Im thinking silly, simple, Angry Birds style games that they sell stuffed animals of and go on to make cartoon episodes and sugar cereals.

Hope this helps.

I guess it depends what era.. But, personally, what springs to mind is action shows. Power Rangers, Gundam, Pokemon, Digimon, each having rock/metal inspired anthems, kids think it's awesome and adults appreciate the cheese.. I think the same could be applied to games.. Something with a hook, but a powerful chord progression, that's catchy as hell. I mean if someone gave me the Megaman 2 soundtrack as a 10 year old, I'd be very, very happy.

I guess it's just making sure it's not subtle, or too complex, just cutting straight to a simplicity people can enjoy
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 01:17:15 AM »

To add to the discussion: Genre-wise this theme is really quite open. In my teaching experience, kids are generally more open to any kind of music style as long as it's not too complicated.

Fun fact: studies show that the first melodic context kids can really hear and reproduce (e.g. sing along to) are pentatonics. That's why "folky" music is generally a hit with the young'uns. (Lucy Gelber: Musical readiness of school beginners.)

For me, the whole action-cartoon thing became interesting when I was around 12. I remember being in love with a vinyl record of Peter and the Wolf when I was a bit younger.

The most common instrumentation for kids game music is probably pizzicato strings, sneaky woodwinds and "silly" acoustic percussion like Guiro, Cuica, Bongos, Shakers, a Vibraslap here and thereā€¦

Anyhoo. Just some random thoughts, I'm not sure how to tackle this myself. Yet.

Cheers,
Moritz

EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 02:23:44 AM »

I find that kids can often enjoy any type of music if it's applied in the right context.. I'll again, refer to Pokemon as an example; Pokemons battle themes are pretty intense and complicated, however, it tends to have the same affect on both adults and children alike.. It's applied in the right context, so it's affect is clear to even young children, it builds suspense and tension. I'd say that applies more so to the older games, on the original GameBoy Color's, because though the themes have remained intense and complex, they have now become sonically complex, with varied instrumentation, which I feel is less direct than the soundchips of earlier handhelds.

That is one of many reasons I will most likely be entering with a chiptune.

I don't know if any of you would agree.. But, there's a certain kind of atmosphere with tones from earlier consoles, perhaps not 16-bit consoles (forgive me, I don't know the names of the soundchips used for each), but consoles only capable of generating simple waveforms.. Sitting there, in the dark, and the speakers resonating simple tones as it plays songs of a limited construct. It's appropriate really, I mean, I feel both younger and older gamers alike can cling to a hook.. The only themes I can recall clearly from my youth, are ones with hooks. It's hooks that are burned into memory following hours of gameplay.

Besides that, it feels as if those simple waveforms are a courtesy of games.. No, I have nothing against using acoustic instruments or synthesizers on a game soundtrack, but when you hear lil' bleeps and bloops, you think - "Video-Game".

A little off topic, but eh. It's something I've thought upon before whilst reflecting on my youth.
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 02:46:48 AM »

I rather enjoy these discussions. Smiley

I agree that we need some nice melodies for this, but the sound aspect - I don't know, it's easy to mix nostalgics into evaluating what's objectively suitable. Kids this generation are probably already used to the luxurious sampling capabilities of modern game systems.

That said, chip sounds still hold a special place in VGM and every time I tell non-gaming-people what my job is, the reply is: "Oh, so you make music for like Tetris and Mario?", followed by them uttering weird "bleep-bloop-bling" sounds. Durr...?

I posted this in some other thread, but one of my favorite soundtracks this decade (so far) is off "Rayman: Origins".

Oh yeah Calum, yesterday your Ubi theme was playing in my head all day. Marvelously annoying! Wink

Cheers,
Moritz

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 07:39:59 AM »

@Calum: that sketch is hilariously cheesy. love it! Grin

I really like where this topic is going. The theme leaves very much space open for discussion and interpretation.
Chiptunes might be well suited since they are straight to the point. I think this is the most important aspect. Stuff like more complex counterpoints might not be too much of a problem if the melody is sonorous and catchy. It doesn't even have to be upbeat if the musical subject is simple and easy.
Anyway, I wouldn't consider stuff like Gundam Wing or Power Rangers to be typical kid's music. I think it's rather aimed towards a more teenage audience. The soundtrack might be straight to the point but it's too solemn and the transmitted emotions are too complex.
Maybe we should clarify the timespan that is enveloped by childhood.

Whatever the case, it will be pretty hard to not get overwhelmed by nostalgia in this competition.
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 08:04:04 AM »

thanks launchsuppe! Anything generally described as cheesey is often something i'm very fond of.

i apologise moritz - get it out of your ears nowww or you won't want anything to do with it by the time OST comes out!!!  Wink

As for kid stuff. I gotta agree that nostalgia for most of us dominates the definition of kids themes, like those listed, when in fact i probably wouldn't say cheesey vocal hard rock is really kids music. Not that they won't like it but it doesn't say innocence or unrelenting joy or just plain silliness to me. Those are the descriptions I'd give to kids music. Pikmin and animal crossing soundtracks come to mind. Melodically fairly simplistic and very catchy. instrumentation definitely has a big influence on how they're perceived as well. Usually upbeat. Vocals with funny little morals and stories too!

Great discussion - i'm certainly not going to hold "it not strictly being kids music" against anyone who wants to belt out a pokemon-esque power pop enthusiastic, LET'S DO IT, rock out! I actually couldn't imagine anything i'd enjoy hearing more! hahaha, now i'm tempted to do something along those lines...

Lets embrace absolute ridiculousness in this challenge!

gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »

WOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
hahahaha Evil
huhuhuhuh Durr...?

(thats all i got, just being a kid)
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 01:18:59 AM »

WOOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
hahahaha Evil
huhuhuhuh Durr...?

(thats all i got, just being a kid)

lamontx
Level 0

I don't even know who Kuppo is. Kupo.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »

^
Can't find a more fitting image than that. Well done.

Anyway, I won't be participating this challenge unfortunately, I may end up sounding too much like

or something silly like that  Giggle
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 07:27:30 AM »

Anyway, I won't be participating this challenge unfortunately, I may end up sounding too much like

or something silly like that  Giggle
And that's a bad thing because...?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic