Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:03:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPenumbear
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Penumbear  (Read 8587 times)
tacograveyard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 02:39:10 PM »

Spent some time watching people play Penumbear first hand yesterday. They were definitely the most valuable game dev hours I have had in weeks. Today, I fixed up some warts that I had grown blind to. The whole experience reinforced the need to get the game in front of more people.

Here is screenshot of the latest zone:

tacograveyard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 12:40:34 PM »

I've been pretty horrible about posting updates and in general talking with the outside world lately. Been focused on digging in and making progress. The positive thing that has come out of it is that I have a draft of every zone in the game ready and I have watched several people play through most of the game and made a ton of adjustments based on that.

Things to do:

- better controls on mobile devices
- finalize sound effects
- finalize music
- record narration
- get more play tester feedback
- record new gameplay footage for an update trailer
- clean up everything
- spice up menus
- polish polish polish

tacograveyard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »

Received some beta tester feedback today and it was the first time someone really crapped all over the game. I'm still trying to dig through it and see what useful changes I can pull through it. I've had plenty of other negative but constructive criticism, but I am having a hard time digging out what to do with this.

The gist of it was that they expected a laid back exploration game based on the cute bear, but instead got a game where you die sometimes repeatedly. They were really upset that it didn't match their expectations. I had already softened up / modernized the game via checkpoints, bonus items to skip certain tough sections, nixing any cheap kills I accidentally introduced. I've no desire to make the game stupid hard for the sake of being stupid hard, but it isn't easy. That said, I've watched people sit down and beat the game so I know it is manageable.

I guess my biggest fear is that the art style sets an expectation that the game is a cake walk and it definitely isn't. Still need to mull this over for a bit. Needed to rant for awhile. Thanks for listening.

tacograveyard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 02:58:44 PM »

Put together a game manual:

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »

That's some pretty excellent work, you never see Instruction Manuals anymore! Really charming illustrations throughout too, I'm keen to see the finished product!

tacograveyard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »

Thanks!

The iOS version is complete (still working on the desktop and ouya ports) and it is available on the app store now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/penumbear/id593441872?mt=8

Here is the final trailer:

Would love to hear your thoughts!

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »

I'm currently downloading it, I'll come back with my thoughts later.

How was the whole experience of going through a publisher for iOS? I've thought about it before but never actually pursued it.

I'd be interested to see sales stats, if you're interested in sharing those with the community that is. I always like to know what works and doesn't etc.

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »

It's good! I really like it, the whole thing feels very polished overall. The virtual controls are good too, which is always nice to see.

I'm sure you've seen but there's a thread on Touch Arcade about it that's incredibly positive.

tacograveyard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »

Thanks! Yeah the toucharcade thread is great, everyone really seems to be enjoying Penumbear. There were a few video playthroughs on youtube with commentary that really made me smile too.

Going through a publisher on iOS has been different. It will be a few weeks before I know how I really fel about the whole thing. I'll keep you posted.

I don't have any sales stats yet but I will share what I can.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic