Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:00:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 180973 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2008, 06:16:00 AM »

Rom Check Fail. We need a Rom Check Fail stage. In fact, this entire game needs more TIGER Compo Loving.
I want to avoid including Indie Games that are entirely based off of commercial games. Indie Brawl is supposed to be the indie equivalent of SSB, and including Mario doesn't mesh well with that concept.

After a quick look at TigDB, I think there are a few characters from compo games that could work: Gunlimb, the Bazooka Viking, the Space Barnacle, and the Fantastic Blood Boy. Space Barnacle, Cottage of Doom, Rescue the Beagles and Everyone Loves Active could make good stages.

medieval
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 08:05:10 AM »

Okay wait.

The number of stages is going a little tid bit out of hand if we keep going like this.  :D
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2008, 08:06:34 AM »

i would say cactus' precision, which would be a continuously scrolling stage - if you get left behind, you die.  ok, i'm done giving suggestions.  i'll see about doing a mockup.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2008, 12:43:02 PM »

i would say cactus' precision, which would be a continuously scrolling stage - if you get left behind, you die.  ok, i'm done giving suggestions.  i'll see about doing a mockup.

Hah! This would be actually really cool! I would be great to see every stage haveing it's unique mechanisms that that resemble the original gameplay concepts.

Also I have to agree with Medieval - the probability of ever finishing a community project (or any project for that matter) decreases proportional to the amount of features added. Allthough I love the ideas circulating and can imagine them to be fitting really well, I'd be quite happy to see three choosable characters and their corresponding stages actually finished. Of course we can keep on adding stuff after that, but highest priority should be reaching this 'milestone'...

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2008, 01:27:50 PM »

he's right.  not to beat a dead horse but our very first priority is getting a build up that has all the core features.  after that we can continuously improve on it for a time.

Renton
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »

Okay wait.

The number of stages is going a little tid bit out of hand if we keep going like this.  :D

I say let it. Make as many stages as you like, then take the core number of those stages, put the rest in a point store or something and have the players buy them with points they earned through playing. Would add some good replay value to the game.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »

Okay wait.

I say let it. Make as many stages as you like, then take the core number of those stages, put the rest in a point store or something and have the players buy them with points they earned through playing. Would add some good replay value to the game.

Well, it's not a matter of not wanting to have that many stages, it's more a matter of actually realizing them...

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 02:27:37 PM »

So far we're just throwing ideas around. We don't actually have to make all of them.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

How about packing the game with just 5 or 6 stages, and including something like a level editor. That way everybody could more easily contribute to the stages. I think it would get all the stages being recommended done faster, and you could re release once a more suitable number of stages have been finished.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 05:54:17 PM »

The stages are pretty small, so I don't think a level editor's necessary. Just an idea, graphics and music.

Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »

I agree with Kovski: we (that is, the incredible people who are actually making this. I wouldn't know where to start) should aim for a milestone and then release it like that as a demo or something, then keep working on all the pther characters and stages.
That way we can give people a taste of Indie Brawl sooner rather than later, but still use a lot o the great ideas floating around.

Also, with the level editor idea, it could be done like Liero's system: a background bitmap, a playable area bitmap and a "what's-ground-and-what's-not" black and white bitmap.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:03:22 PM by Rory » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »

That's not a bad idea, Rory. It would give people a lot more options in the presentation. The alternative is to do something like in SSBB where you can place parts, which gives them a lot less freedom in presentation but a little more in terms of gameplay. I would prefer the former option personally.

Also, for Nikujin's home stage, I was thinking we could do the scene of the final 3 boss battles in the original game. It's already laid out with holes on either side, and then up the top there's a platform where the bosses appear. It would make an interesting stage because there's so much space between the two platforms. We would need to be careful though, and make sure that the top platform is low enough that every character can get up to it, otherwise it would be a camper's heaven. There are also two (very) small platforms at either side which are perfect for helping characters to reach the top platform, but too small to accomodate much combat.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 11:01:43 PM »

Just make a stage from every compo winner. And include games like Aquaria stages as unlockables. ALSO, There should be an entire demake of Indie Brawl inside of the game. An unlockable that turns everything down into a demake.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 12:32:12 AM »

Bear Miner should be a stage, just so we can include that awesome song.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 02:05:13 AM »

Swing your axe, get the bear, this is the way of a miner dwarf...

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 07:26:54 AM »

Bear Miner should be a stage, just so we can include that awesome song.
medieval
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »

I think An Untitled Story has the potential for some very awesome stages.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 02:05:56 PM »

I think An Untitled Story has the potential for some very awesome stages.
I support this, I absolutely adore An Untitled Story, I want to see it somewhere in Indie Brawl, and a stage would be perfect
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »

Swing your axe, get the bear, this is the way of a miner dwarf...
You must never reach the ground 'cause then you will lose the game.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »

MONDO MEDICALS

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic