Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:18:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 179940 times)
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: September 23, 2010, 03:09:15 PM »

sadface.jpg

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
shig
« Reply #841 on: September 23, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »

I'm sorry that I'm probably sounding like an internet tough guy or something, but, Frikman, you post too much. 
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: September 24, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »

Frikman's main problem is that he's picking games for stages for their playability, rather than for their having memorable levels and/or artwork, which is what counts for stages.
BeholdThyPecs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 02, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »

I have suggestions, of my own. I had been coming up with suggestions, myself.

When Pigs Fly Stage
 A cute little background, where there are a bunch of  flying pigs. Jump on one, and it will exaggeratedly be knocked out. It's bottom half is some kinda underground cave, while it's top half is not.

Nelly Cootalot Stage
 It takes place in the area where all the business buildings are. In the background, spoonbeaks and leprechauns appear at it, simply watching the fight. (After Nelly Cootalot had them rescued, of course.) But when Widebeard walks by, you do not want to get in his way; he has his handgun with him, to shoot any “potential threat” that gets in his way.

Gamma Bros. Stage
 A stage where you fly on a large, rocky platform. There are ships that shoot ammo that you have to dodge. Though damaging the enemy ships is indeed, possible, if you attack them.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #844 on: October 02, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »

The defining feature of a good stage is that it represents a memorable location, has a unique gameplay mechanic or is represented with a unique art style. While I haven't played all of those games, none of them seem to fit the criteria. Correct me if I'm wrong.

ink.inc
« Reply #845 on: October 02, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »

The environments in Nelly Cootalot aren't anything spectacular. It has better character designs than backgrounds.
BeholdThyPecs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 03, 2010, 03:34:08 AM »

The defining feature of a good stage is that it represents a memorable location, has a unique gameplay mechanic or is represented with a unique art style. While I haven't played all of those games, none of them seem to fit the criteria. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Ah, I totally understand what you mean.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 09, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »

how about a Minecraft stage? Here's an idea I had of one

Maybe there could be a day/night cycle (at night items appear more often?) and occasionally a piece of the stage breaks or something? I don't know, the more I think about it the more work it seems to take.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 06:04:32 PM by brod » Logged

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 05, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »

this.

since somebody suggested something about a self destructive "Seven Minutes" stage i had to do something about it. I know it's pretty simple but it's just an idea of how i imagine it should look like (i'm sure someone can make it ten times better :/). btw after all the blocks falls (after seven minutes maybe =P?) only the center platform should remain and it has to be made only with light blue semi-translucent blocks (like on the end of the game).
Minecraft
looks lovely, but wasn't uneven terrain a problem?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: November 05, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »

since somebody suggested something about a self destructive "Seven Minutes" stage i had to do something about it. I know it's pretty simple but it's just an idea of how i imagine it should look like (i'm sure someone can make it ten times better :/). btw after all the blocks falls (after seven minutes maybe =P?) only the center platform should remain and it has to be made only with light blue semi-translucent blocks (like on the end of the game).
I think this would be a lot of fun.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #850 on: November 06, 2010, 01:09:49 AM »

how about a Minecraft stage? Here's an idea I had of one

Maybe there could be a day/night cycle (at night items appear more often?) and occasionally a piece of the stage breaks or something? I don't know, the more I think about it the more work it seems to take.

Hey, nice mockup! If it were to be made, I'd need to have destructible environment though. Wink

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Zulli
Level 0

Maybe I´ll dev today

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 06, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »

Minecraft stage could be procedurally generated, just like the original. Durr...?

Btw,
Totally supporting a minecraft stage!

:D
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: November 06, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »

Minecraft stage could be procedurally generated, just like the original. Durr...?
Btw, Totally supporting a minecraft stage!
wasn't random generated stuff a problem because the chances of getting a playable stage were too low?
Hey, nice mockup! If it were to be made, I'd need to have destructible environment though. Wink
That sounds fun. Maybe this could turn out on something like the LOZ bridge stage from SSBB or something (I don't remember the name. Not a big deal ¬¬).
I think this would be a lot of fun.
Thanks. Maybe with some tips and free time (Since I got a job for the summer yai!) I could make some better tiles (unless someone already started :/)

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: November 06, 2010, 05:49:56 PM »

Procedurally-generated levels are far too complex. It's a lot more work than it's worth for a single stage.

The problem I have with a Minecraft stage is that the level would end up being a generic, tile-based stage. It doesn't have many distinct elements that could be transferred to a stage in Indie Brawl.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #854 on: November 06, 2010, 06:16:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Durr...? meant he was joking.

Ideas:

We could have the terrain destructible, but have a flat layer of stone below that you couldn't destroy, so the level would flatten out eventually.

We could have a day/night cycle, with pre-placed torches. During the night, random enemies would spawn and be weak stage hazards. They would all burn when day comes. The AI for these would be very simple. (Walk, sometimes jump or shoot or explode)
During the day we could have animals appear (rarely) and drop items on death.

We could have the stage occasionally switch to the "Nether" where some of the ground is now lava and Ghasts could appear and shoot fire.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: November 06, 2010, 06:20:28 PM »

a minecraft stage would be annoying because we would have to constantly update it.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: November 06, 2010, 06:37:25 PM »

And the stage hazards would only appear if you pay for them.
Zulli
Level 0

Maybe I´ll dev today

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 06, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »

I'm pretty sure the Durr...? meant he was joking.
Sorry but... mokesmoe got it.

The problem I have with a Minecraft stage is that the level would end up being a generic, tile-based stage. It doesn't have many distinct elements that could be transferred to a stage in Indie Brawl.

I dont think so. Minecraft is pretty unique. Mokesmoe´s ideas would make the level very interesting. The "3D" style that brod mocked up would make the level even more recognizable. I think we could have some special items for this level (but i think that the game engine would not "support" that) like a shovel, pickaxe and other minecraft items.

:D
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #858 on: November 06, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »

The game has a 'no weapons' policy because they would require separate animations for each character, and because they take away from what makes each character unique.

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 06, 2010, 08:05:32 PM »

For minecraft stage, you could have bigger blocks that can be attacked and destroyed after extended attacking. (They shouldn't heal) Along with that, you could have a day/night system (not so dark that you couldn't see) and at night, skeletons (minecraft style) could appear on either side of the stage and shoot arrows into it then burn when morning hits. Places that will be hit by arrows will have a (!) mark on them, and the arrows will deal pretty heavy damage, (I'm thinking Death Worm Missile-amount?) so they should be shot conservatively.

In addition destroyed blocks will start to respawn, by slowly filling from 0 alpha to 0.5 alpha, and when it is 0.5 alpha, if there are no characters in it's area, it will spawn. There can also be a bedrock layer on the bottom of the stage to prevent falling through it.
Also, the blocks should be really big, imo. Like, 96x64 big, to minimize processing and stuff.

Edit: Oh wow mokesmoe's idea is incredible! Every 1-2 minutes, a big spiral background would fade in, then change all the tiles into nether-style tiles. There, ghasts will appear on the background layer and shoot molten balls into the screen at a slow speed (no gravity), represented by (!) symbols. After 10~15 seconds, background changes to a spiral again, and the game is sent back to the normal world with all of the blocks at 0.5 alpha (ready to respawn)

Here are some crude sketches:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:52:06 PM by brod » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic