Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:49:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage Design
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage Design  (Read 179800 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #860 on: November 06, 2010, 10:03:55 PM »

When the nether starts, any currently alive blocks become nether blocks, which are indestructible. Any currently dead blocks don't respawn until the Nether ends.
Optional: The bedrock becomes lava.

Since one of the most impressive things about minecraft is the amazing natural occurring structures, we should take a really good screenshot from minecraft itself, and use that as a reference to build the background.

Here's some blocks I made from copy-pasting from the games graphics. I wouldn't use this for the level, but it's something to start with.

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 08, 2010, 04:36:02 AM »

Surely a minecraft stage would need to include some tunnels and such, maybe it should be more like the temple stage from smash brothers, it can have an above ground area with a couple of buildings and a few tunnels underground. Instead of making it a floating island, it could just have a lava floor.

making the level cycle between day and night sounds like a lot of work also, having to create two sets of the stage, for day and night, and to create a transition between the two. I can't really figure of an easy way to do this, fading between the two would look cheap and applying different colour filters depending on the time of day would lose detail.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 08, 2010, 06:02:01 AM »

I was thinking an object will go in a sine curve (on the z axis) with the moon and sun on opposite ends of the curve. Also, colors change based on the time of day, along with a slightly visible black rectangle laid upon the tiles based on the time. (0.3 alpha when completely dark, 0 alpha when completely light, 0-0.3 when in between)

And besides... what you explained is actually what Minecraft does. Albeit it has a gradient for sunrise and sunset, which is also easy to reproduce.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:11:24 AM by brod » Logged

-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 08, 2010, 03:47:32 PM »

we could have a slow scrolling background with a gradient of colors =D

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 13, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »

hey, talking about "Eversion", will we have a "classic Eversion" or an "Eversion HD" stage? because i was playing the HD version today and the graphics are really, REALLY different My Word!

Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 14, 2010, 03:55:22 PM »

Really? I still haven't bought it yet but the screenshots I've seen look to be in the same style.

Regardless, if they are different I imagine the HD version would be closer to the indie brawl style as a base point. Since it's more detailed aswell I can't think of any good reason to use the original for inspiration  Shrug
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 15, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »

oh I dunno. "Eversion HD" has better graphics, but because they're more detailed they loose that creepy style they had on classic "Eversion" (I mean, they still look creepy but not so much). Plus the background on the "normal layer" and other stuff are darker than the original, and they kinda loose something. I guess we can make a mix with the best stuff of both styles to get an epic looking stage or something, right Undecided?

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 18, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »

So is it cool to make a Minecraft topic?

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: November 18, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »

Sure. There seems to be plenty of the support for the idea.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 04, 2011, 03:48:17 AM »

If I could make another suggestion for a stage:
The Void
From Fetus/setuF.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: January 21, 2011, 05:48:49 AM »

In response to the suggestions in the character thread;

A couple of suggestions:

We Want YOU stage (scrolling forever downwards, tilesets changing as time passes; has weapon pickups that can destroy terrain, flamethrowers and health tents)

Weapons aren't going in. The discussion's been had and it'd be more work than they're worth.

Super Meatboy stage (sick amounts of saws that instakill any character)

Filling it with hazards would make it an awful stage to play on (people would be too busy avoiding hazards to actually play) and if we just used less hazards it could be a level from anything. There's been a suggestion for Meat Boy, as a support character, running across the screen chased by saws which would work a lot better.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 21, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »

But the scrolling down idea is way too badass to let it pass. Maybe if the platforms are random generated (1 big one or 2 maybe)...

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: January 21, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »

We Want You does not have memorable locations or graphical style. There are plenty of other ideas for stages that could scroll vertically in either direction.

Super Meatboy is probably too generic for a level. Besides saws, there isn't much that really stands out in my mind about the environments.

As far as weapons go, the reason they aren't included is that each weapon would require a separate set of animations for each character. Essentially, adding a single weapon would take more work than adding an entirely new character.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 21, 2011, 07:55:17 PM »

If I could make another suggestion for a stage:
The Void
From Fetus/setuF.

EDIT: And only then do I notice this whole discussion was already had in the Meta topic. Nevermind then.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:00:23 PM by Sir Raptor » Logged
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: June 26, 2011, 08:36:48 AM »

As much as I think that we have enough stages, an idea hit me that I just cannot let go of:

Brennenburg Castle (Amnesia: The Dark Descent)

Before you say it's too realistic of a game to have anything included, hear me out. I honestly think it would be cool to have a level were lighting affects play, in which torches mysteriously blow out, leaving players only visible in and the environment (if designed not to be too frustrating in the dark) barely visible. Adding the occasional gatherer and brute appearance, the growth of "the shadow" from the game, and some view distortion and other affects indicating "insanity" and we've got an interesting level.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 08:45:42 AM by Goodbye » Logged
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #875 on: June 26, 2011, 05:14:59 PM »

Yeah, that could be interesting.

thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #876 on: June 26, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »

Okay if that is a verification I have some more concrete ideas.

1. Should probably be based on this area:

It is probably the most recognizable

2. Torches and windows will be sources of light. Torches can blow out and come back on, while windows are permanent. The Shadow only grows near players who are in the dark.

3. There will be doors in the background. Every once in a while, banging will be heard and seen in the doors, causing great warning (and panic) before an extreme danger. Eventually, a gatherer will break down the door, seriously damaging anyone in the immediate vicinity. Afterwords,it will look left and right, and, if it sees a player, will run towards him/her and deliver a powerful slash that deals massive damage,and then will walk off the stage. Otherwise, it'll simply walk off of the stage.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 22, 2011, 08:25:02 PM »

Rotating shouldn't be a problem, but rotated pixel art usually looks bad, and I don't think we have rotating solid object support. We could have a mainly circular level with mostly non solid platforms though.

Something like this:

We could have it periodically rotate with some sort of warning. Anyone one on the ground would get moved with it, and anyone in mid air would not be affected.

Late on this topic, but maybe a stage based on Remaddening where the fighters have to either kill each other or knock them into the slow-moving red wall. Idea for a moving stage and it provides some use for this mockup.
thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 23, 2011, 06:29:50 AM »

we could use d3d models to support the level, and then just give it a non-rotating mask and stuff. It'd look great.

Vrominelli
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 25, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »

Here's a shot in the dark for a scrolling stage: Big Building Boom Blues.

The screen would have some small occasional shakes, flaming debris falling down, platforms are outcroppings of the building.

Does this sound good to you guys or bad?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic