Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:38:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSandbox 1942 - Feedback & Bug reports needed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sandbox 1942 - Feedback & Bug reports needed  (Read 3482 times)
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2012, 12:48:59 AM »

Many changes since my last post..

Sandbox 1942 is a beta test game for the public to give me a bug reports for the final game and for fun. The bugs reported to me, will be checked and fixed if necessary.

Events of the game will take place in northern France in year 1942 far behind the enemy front lines, but that doesn't matter in a sandbox.. what matters is the ensemble of the game engine, npc ai and graphics. Protagonist and friendly characters are english or american special forces. I guess i don't have to explain who you fight against..

Features:
-Wsad + Mouse look
-You can create 4 different types of team mates witch you are able to control or set them to just follow you.
-You have ~12 very different weapons and a lots of ammo at the start.
-..yeah, i'm going to list every feature here for sure

Vehicles: I spent days of making complex vehicle physics and i think it works ok(not excellent). EXCEPT: collision with solid objects works, but it is not realistic. (so it sucks Tongue)
AND: few months later i found out about Box2d and tried it's abilities. It is really good(angry birds use it), and i'm planning on adding it to the project but probably not in the sandbox.

Buildings, environment, and nature:
First of all: everything can be either burnt, destroyed, or both.

Buildings: Buildings can be completely destroyed, and set to fire with a flamethrower.
They are made of several parts, and if you hit a brick wall with a knife 10xe1000 times, it'll fall. However machine gun, or an explosive will do the trick easily.

You are able to hide in a crop field or in bushes via prone action. You are not seen as easily when you are in "prone mode".

Other: There is wind direction and speed witch changes a little sometimes, that affects about any fire/smoke related effect.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:
I forgot to place some hints for you in the controls menu..
->First of all you get all the controls and some hints by pressing T.

-STRAFE! Always when enemy starts shooting at you, strafe.

-PRONE! Approach the enemies using prone mode and surprise them(prone works better near forest and crop fields).

-Create friends - Press 1=Colt 1911 marine, 2=M1 carbine marine, 3=Tommygunner, 4=Maghinegunner (Hold mouse right to control them. Press space to get them to follow you.)

-There is a Flak cannon at the top right of the map. Fire it by pressing mouse middle when the cannon is pointing near to your cross hair. Use the cannon to destroy the compound.

-When behind sandbags, the enemy bullets wont hit you that easy. Works also with every "half wall" (objects that you are able to see over(dining table, ammo crate, you name it..)). Boost this ability by going in prone position by pressing C.

-In the middle of the map, there is a crop field. When you prone in there you cannot be seen unless you have been seen before.

-If you start from the beach, shoot the enemy machine gunners through the metal cross obstacles (i don't know what the vehicle blockers are called). Since the enemy can't shoot through them. This makes sense because you are sort of peeking behind them like in Saving Private Ryan -movie.

Weapons:
Colt 1911 - Best of pistols
Luger - Piece of shit
M1 Garand - Basic weapon
Kar 98k - Effective - One direct shot might kill - bolt action - low capacity magazine
Thompson - Best of machine pistols - high rate of fire - high capacity magazine
MP-40 - Basic machine pistol
Johnson machine gun - basic - low magazine capacity for a machine gun
MG 42 - Probably the best weapon against targets on foot, airplanes, light vehicles - highest rate of fire - 100 round "magazine"
Winchester 1897 - Very effective from low-medium distances
Flammenwerfer 41 - a Flamethrower - use this to start fires (brick walls wont burn) - also very effective in low-mid distance against enemies
Panzerfaust - destroy the tank with this - basically a low distance bazooka
Grenades - use these.. you have 500 of them(yes, very realistic) - great for everything - the how far it'll fly depends on the distance between you and your crosshair
Knife - If you are a professional  Ninja then play the sandbox with knife and pistol only (except use panzerfaust for the tank)  Wink

Use the advises and feedback me..

Dl=23 mb
Mirror 1: http://www.sendspace.com/file/3cv4z8
Mirror 2: http://speedy.sh/QEHe5/Sandbox1942v1.1.exe
Mirror 3: http://www29.zippyshare.com/v/25571119/file.html

Offical project site: http://create-games.com/download.asp?id=8764
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 10:08:26 AM by hapsi » Logged
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 02:42:32 AM »

I can see that many of you have downloaded (and probably tested) the game, but i created this game for feedback/bug testing purposes (and for fun) for the final multiple areas/levels containing game.. feedback please.
Adam27
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »

I played it a little and I found the sandbox really good. Destroying objects and buildings is pretty enjoyable and this is the part I like at most. Graphics and sounds are nice, effects like holes in the ground after explosions or blood after killing enemies are great. I also like the possibility to use vehicles, although I was a bit disappointed at not being able to drive the tractor Wink

When using the flamethrower, fire looks weird. I think that the particles are just too big. If they were smaller and more densely packed, it would look way better.

Either I missed something, or the only way to exit the game is by pressing Alt+F4. It'd be nice to have a menu and be able to exit the game from that menu.

I also found some bugs:
- bullets didn't get into the buildings through an open door
- when I was standing under a tree and there was HP indicator over my character, the text was partially covered with that tree
- when I had started playing from the forest and got to the tank, it killed me, and then rotated itself all the time

What I would like to see in the game:
- animated water
- sounds of the vehicles (engine etc.)
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »

I played it a little and I found the sandbox really good. Destroying objects and buildings is pretty enjoyable and this is the part I like at most. Graphics and sounds are nice, effects like holes in the ground after explosions or blood after killing enemies are great. I also like the possibility to use vehicles, although I was a bit disappointed at not being able to drive the tractor Wink

When using the flamethrower, fire looks weird. I think that the particles are just too big. If they were smaller and more densely packed, it would look way better.

Either I missed something, or the only way to exit the game is by pressing Alt+F4. It'd be nice to have a menu and be able to exit the game from that menu.

I also found some bugs:
- bullets didn't get into the buildings through an open door
- when I was standing under a tree and there was HP indicator over my character, the text was partially covered with that tree
- when I had started playing from the forest and got to the tank, it killed me, and then rotated itself all the time

What I would like to see in the game:
- animated water
- sounds of the vehicles (engine etc.)
-The tractor there is just an ornament but it's easily turned to driveable (never thought about driving it Blink).
-Flamethrower effect is actually done with randomly rotating fire sprite that scales larger and leaves smoke. Maybe it should spread more flame sprites in certain point of scaling.. i'll look into it.
-I assume everyone know the Alt+F4

-"- bullets didn't get into the buildings through an open door" This is not true or i've misunderstood something.

"- when I was standing under a tree and there was HP indicator over my character, the text was partially covered with that tree" Will fix this.

"- when I had started playing from the forest and got to the tank, it killed me, and then rotated itself all the time"  Cheesy ..yeah that's hilarious sometimes. I know why it does it, and it's in my bug list.

-I actually have animated water and a sound of it, i just left it out of the sandbox. I have planned a mission with a gunboat.
-Vehicle sound added to "bug" list.

Thank you from the feedback  Gentleman

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:19:51 PM by hapsi » Logged
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:42:18 PM »

Nazis won because they have an advantage in machine gun section. M1 Carbine beats Kar 98k though (kar 98 is still more accurate and makes more damage(in game and in real life) but this is close combat).

Random pics.. Toast Left

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:36:28 AM by hapsi » Logged
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 05:57:16 AM »

I was thinking about adding something in the project.

What would you think if in some point of the game you'd find a secret nazi superweapon/vehicle? The technology for them would have came from a crashed ufo, or from a nazi time machine. And i have planned a mission where you are in the middle of a nazi biology studying center (human studies) and all the sudden the dead "customers" would wake up as zombies or hostile mutants.. the virus that made it happen came from the crashed ufo/from the future. A little like in Far Cry 1 or Crysis(first normal ww2-wargame, then scifi-ww2-wargame).

Is that something you wouldn't want to see in a war game?

Flak cannon
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 05:35:14 AM »

Using Maschinengewehr 1942 to do some massacre.
dx0ne
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 03:44:23 AM »

Looks really promising and rich.
WWII + UFO/occult/bioweapons == big yes.

Some suggestions:
- I admit - I ignored infobox at first == didn't knew how to get weapons, maybe Colt should be default
- needs mute button
- it should take some time for enemies to know where you are(except when you start shooting), even more when you prone - edit: I see it actually works with prone, couldn't see it in game but maybe I was too Terminator-style Wink
- it would be nice if you could shot some weapons while driving with price of worst control over vehicle
- there should be option to see further - like binoculars or with scoop, because now enemies can see and shoot you before you can see them

Anyway hope you finish it since I'm big fan of top-down shooters(and there's not much of them).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:54:53 AM by dx0ne » Logged

https://itch.io/dx0ne<br />faking gamedev success since 2083
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 07:19:52 AM »

Looks really promising and rich.
WWII + UFO/occult/bioweapons == big yes.

Some suggestions:
- I admit - I ignored infobox at first == didn't knew how to get weapons, maybe Colt should be default
- needs mute button
- it should take some time for enemies to know where you are(except when you start shooting), even more when you prone - edit: I see it actually works with prone, couldn't see it in game but maybe I was too Terminator-style Wink
- it would be nice if you could shot some weapons while driving with price of worst control over vehicle
- there should be option to see further - like binoculars or with scoop, because now enemies can see and shoot you before you can see them

Anyway hope you finish it since I'm big fan of top-down shooters(and there's not much of them).

-Mute is Ctrl + s. It's not in the controls menu though.
-I've planned missions with gunboat, apc, and maybe a tank where you can control the weapons too.
-Actually enemies shouldn't be able to see you before you are able to see them. Binoculars however is an excellent idea.

Thanks for feedback.
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:46 PM »

New update report;
A lot of the things in this beta has been modified and a lot of things added. I'll publish a new beta soon.. here is some screens.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:26:03 PM by hapsi » Logged
hapsi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »

Ok, here is the public beta nr.3. Give me bug reports and improvement ideas.

Tips that are not in the launch screen:

-Press Tab to open an objectives window >
-Use paratroopers, artillery fire, or parabombs by pressing "e" (while on the Tab menu and selected one)
-You cant call for paratroopers if you still have any team mates
-Use Flak cannon (the one witch is close where you start) by mouse middle or "G"

Warnings:

-There is a tank at the bottom of the playfield
-There are 2 heavy machinegunners at the first house on the road
-Be careful with the "Unknown Item" -weapon.. you might die using it near an object (wall, team mate, etc.)

Other:

-You have 500 grenades, all the weapons, and pretty much ammo.
-Enjoy and feedback!  Gentleman

Mirror 1:http://speedy.sh/4Tpnf/1942-beta3.exe
Mirror 2:http://www.sendspace.com/file/iqdiuq
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic