Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:06:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPixel Champions: A retro indie free to play 2D MMORPG.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Champions: A retro indie free to play 2D MMORPG.  (Read 50416 times)
ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2013, 07:28:36 AM »

Woah, Fleury!  I had no idea you created a devlog for your game My Word!  It's good to see that it is still in development!

I knew your username sounded familiar; you're the guy that made Loradon Online. And thanks! I hope you get time to finish Volund at some point; that game looked really fun.  Grin
Thanks! I am looking forward to working on it Smiley  Not sure when that will be though Sad

I'll have to give your game a try again.  I remember playing it a long time ago, although I am pretty sure it went by a different name at the time.

Fleury
Level 0

Pixel Champions Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2013, 08:23:32 AM »

More monsters? Well ok then! Meet [Untitled]; he's a work-in-progress, which could only make him all the more intimidating.  Epileptic

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
Vindora
Level 0

Abe.

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »

Ooh, the new monster looks exciting.
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »

September 3, 2013 - Build 246 Released  Droop

• Introduced a new skill for mages: Orbs!
  • The sell value of items is now strongly influenced by an equation: "item_value=avg_gold*(1/item_rarity)*0.3".
  • The Bumblebee Crossbow and Duckian Bow have been renamed to Majestic Crossbow and Thorned Bow respectively.
  • Weapons dropped from Demons now carry the name "Demonic": Nightmare Bow is now Demonic Bow.
  • Reordered the difficulty of Warlocks and Dragons; Warlocks are now weaker than Dragons, and spawn in the ice island caves.
  • Wands and Orbs no longer require spellbooks.
  • Spellbooks have been removed from the game. A record of who owned which spellbooks has been stored, and if spellbooks are readded in the future as rare items, players will have an opportunity to reclaim their lost spellbooks.
  • Dragons now roam the desert freely, and the city is guarded by a locked gate.
  • Added a new monster: Trolls! They occupy the desert tombs that once belonged to Warlocks.
  • Shopkeepers no longer sell Resurrection Amulets (but existing amulets will still function), and the death penalty now has maximums: 5% level (max 150k experience) and 3% skill (max 1.5 hours of training).

Update: Build 246 Hotfix
  • Nerfed Dragon's wave attack (from 725 to 360).
  • Un-nerfed mage attack damage (all the wands and orbs were 10 attack lower than they should have been).
  • Trolls move slightly faster now.

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

September 28, 2013 - Build 248 Released  Screamy

• OpenTK is no longer a dependency. This should only affect Linux users (better Linux support coming soon).
  • Graph searching is now an in-place algorithm (pathfinding is roughly 60% faster).
  • Rendering CJK characters now requires only a single call to glSubTexImage2D per character (it use to require five).
  • Updated the login screen to use the new warlock artwork.
  • Emoticon "oO" replaced with "%|"
  • Various improvements to the website (including the removal of ads and the (misbehaving) Facebook social plugin).
  • The maps page now has an interactive map of the game-world.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2013, 06:04:56 AM »

November 5, 2013 - Build 250 Released  Ninja

• The game is now free-to-play; the main islands (and all of their content) are not restricted to upgraded accounts. As the boat "fast-travel" system is now an upgraded account feature, free-account players will have to use the underground tunnels to travel between continents.
  • Added an "offline training" system for players with upgraded accounts; your character will train its skills while you're offline. See the Calculations page of the Wiki for more details.
  • Added a food vendor NPC, and rebalanced the cost and consumption % of all food items.
  • Many obtainable items have been removed (scarf, watermelon, grape).
  • Many unobtainable items have been removed (fire boots, magical sword, scrolls, red/blue/green keys); players with these items will notice they've been converted to their nearest equivalent (magical sword -> demonic sword) if one is available.
  • Removed talkable quest NPCs; these proved to be quite confusing for most players. A new quest system will be coming soon! Smiley

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »

I'm a little bit late to the party on this one, but I really like that monster sprite!  Coffee

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »

New logo in the works! Giggle

That should make a nice replacement for the existing logo on the website.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »

December 12, 2013 - Build 251 Released   Hand Knife RightBig LaffHand Point Right

• There is a new launcher for the Mac and Linux versions of Pixel Champions. Players using either Mac or Linux are recommended to redownload the game to get the latest launcher.
  • Removed the ducks from Ice Islands, and added Wraith spawns next to Warlocks.
  • The server no longer lists the number of Soulstones sold since last server restart.
  • GoldenHelmet is now a Warlock drop rather than a Dragon drop.
  • Penguins melee raised from 5->11, and they no longer throw snowballs.
  • Wraith now drops Snake Wand instead of Dragon (reduced value from 5610 to 2310).
  • Ducks no longer drop Wooden Arrows.
  • The Food and Potions pages of the website's wiki now has informative 'header text'.
  • Added an Emoticons page to the website's wiki.
  • Warlocks now shoot Deathbolt and EnergySpark rather than Fireblast and EnergyBall.
  • Bandits now drop arrows and bolts, rather than just arrows.
  • Energy effect now uses the new Thunderbolt sprite.
  • Wizards now shoot energy ball instead of a beam, and they now spawn on novice.
  • Replaced the Crawler sprite with the new Slime sprite, and renamed "Crawler" to "Slime".
  • The performance of the pathfinding algorithm has been improved.
  • Fixed the OptionButton getting stuck if you click-and-drag and then click another one.
  • Experience sharing should now work at 1-25 levels difference (instead of 1-24 levels).
  • The experience page table now lists all the levels between 1-225.
  • The wiki now has a tooltip for the defense values of None, Partial, and Full.
  • The calculations page calculator now notes that None=0, Partial=55, and Full=175 for armor.

Moghard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2014, 04:41:52 AM »

Hey, I played this game for some hours, and i really liked it. The only thing that i disliked was that when i enter an area, almost all of the monsters there come and attack me at once, even if they weren't visible on the screen.

Sorry for possible poor english mistakes.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2014, 06:46:19 AM »

so, is this game Tibia or what?

Ozz
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »

Demon Lord getting owned....   Evil
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2014, 03:55:07 PM »

Some new boss-forms of existing monsters in the works.  Smiley

The Iron Sentinel!

And the Giant Scarab Queen!

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »

Finally found a nice solution to scaling the viewing camera without burdening the game-client with "mixed resolution". On supported hardware, it'll render the view three-times: once to compose the scene, the second to pixel-double the scene, and then the third to arbitrarily scale the pixel-doubled scene.

Old-Stretching

New-Stretching

A side-by-side comparison (new on left, old on right).

I'm surprised that I didn't need to utilize FBOs to accomplish this; I hadn't realized glCopyTexSubImage2D would preserve the alpha bits if the framebuffer's pixelformat had them. On hardware that doesn't support alpha bits on the framebuffer, the stretching algorithm will fallback to my old (blurry) method.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:37:17 AM by Fleury » Logged

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »

Played it for a while, even though it reminds me a lot of the good old Tibia i used to play, theres a lot of things you're doing wrong.
I think in general, the map needs to be bigger, you need more assets and study a little bit of perspective.
Other than that, you need to revise those codes and come up with something better than that "action" thing. I feel like you cut a lot of the freedom i had in Tibia.
Good luck with your project though  Coffee

Tibia is crap  Giggle
Also, it has uncommon view of the angle and graphics.

You need to differ  Undecided
You didn't play Tibia, did you?  Undecided
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »

Why aren't you simply rendering once and then scaling that buffer though, this seems unnecessary
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2014, 01:46:37 PM »

Why aren't you simply rendering once and then scaling that buffer though, this seems unnecessary

The scene has to get pixel-doubled at some point, otherwise it just looks all blurry. The less GL_LINEAR I use, the less blurry. By doing the 2x scale with GL_NEAREST, and only the final scaling with GL_LINEAR, I'm able to reduce the blur.

For example, the attached image below shows two smiley faces. They both started at 16x16 size, and were scaled to 35x35.

The one on the left, I pixel doubled (using the GIMP equivalent of GL_NEAREST) from 16x16 -> 32x32, and then afterwards scaled it from 32x32 -> 35x35 using linear interpolation (aka, GL_LINEAR).
The one on the right, I simply just scaled it from 16x16 -> 35x35 using linear interpolation (aka, GL_LINEAR).

The left smiley face ends up with less blur than the right smiley face. Smiley

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »

Some players have been requesting, for a very long time, a way to see their in-game latency. So here's what I'm working on right now.  Grin

Functional Prototype:

Polishing:

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2015, 05:47:34 PM »

Wow, it's been over 150 days since I posted here.  WTF
During which time there's been over 20 updates to Pixel Champions.
I knew there was something I've been forgetting to do...

flyingmangoes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »

Is the mac download not working, because I really would like to play!  The game looks great!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic