Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411484 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:23:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPixel Champions: A retro indie free to play 2D MMORPG.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Champions: A retro indie free to play 2D MMORPG.  (Read 50658 times)
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 02:06:25 AM »

The game looks good, but reading the feedback and your replies to it really discourages me to try even the free levels out after I'm out of hospital tomorrow.

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Fleury
Level 0

Pixel Champions Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »

March 5, 2013 - Build 227 Released  Coffee

• Increased attack of all arrows and bolts by +6.
  • Further increased base damage of arrow ammunition by +2.
  • The "Black Widow" warning sign now reads "Giant Scarab".
  • Corrected grammar error in private chat channel info notice.
  • Controls Scroll now notes increased walking speed per level.
  • The Stone Axe and Dragonslayer Axe are now one-handed weapons.
  • The Dragonslayer Axe's fancy tooltip has been moved to the Demon Axe.
  • The Alchemist on main now sells 5x and 20x stacks of red, blue, and purple potions.

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 09:44:30 PM »

Keep these updates and news rolling! I am interested in being up to date with how's your MMO doing.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »

Making progress on restoring input method editor support, but it seems I've introduced a new bug pertaining to the function keys. F10 seems to have a unique keycode on OS X (dunno if just library issue, or what), and F11 won't even get sent to my application (despite my attempts with overriding ProcessCmdKey).

Function Key - Windows Keycode - OS X Keycode
F1112112
F2113113
F3114114
F4115115
F5116116
F6117117
F7118118
F8119119
F9120120
F10121109
F11122?
F12123123

If this is the only side-effect, I think I'll just ensure only F1-F9 are ever used.

Looking for a retro 2D MMORPG? Check out Pixel Champions! [official site, facebook page]
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »

Bah, my attempt at using WinForms+GLControl didn't succeed due to a bug with WinForms on OS X that causes keyboard events to become incorrect, duplicated, or missing. My luck at choosing libraries to use on OS X seems to be quite bad:

• SDL - Fails on OS X due to lack of input method editor support.
  • Novell's WinForms - Fails on OS X due to obnoxious bug.
  • OpenTK - Fails on OS X due to lack of input method editor support.

GTK# could work, but I'm worried I might run into difficulties setting up an OpenGL context. A better solution, I believe, is to simply write the Objective-C Cocoa toolkit myself (there's very little I actually need: keyboard+mouse+openGL context).

I took a few stabs at it today, and it's off to a great start; I can create a minimalistic Cocoa window that (1) doesn't use nib/xib/IB or any other of XCode's automatons, (2) supports input method editors, and (3) doesn't hand over control of the main loop. The trick will be wrapping it all up into a C library to be platform invoked from C#.

(click to enlarge)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:33:53 PM by Fleury » Logged

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »

Works even for Pinyin  Grin

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 06:56:43 AM »

My own native bindings to Cocoa (with IME support) work!  Cheesy

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 07:20:59 AM »

Congratulations Smiley

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2013, 05:04:13 AM »

March 13, 2013 - Build 228 Released Wizard

• Rewrote OS X client to use custom bindings to Cocoa rather than relying on OpenTK's Carbon implementation.
  • Mac OS X client now permits input method editors to be used!

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2013, 05:15:12 AM »

That's nice. Althrough, here are my thoughts for now...

1. The graphics need their own style. Currently they look like some of them would be taken from one place, and some from other which gives mixed-style, and it doesn't look too good. That's the most important one.

2. Your site http://www.pixelchampions.com/ would require a slight redesign I think. ( I am not saying that I can do alot better, but for comparison you might want to take a look )

I am sure that your site could be much more responsive. For example, menu buttons could atleast highlight when we mouse hover on them. Same for library buttons.

Your game might be great and all, but those two things (appearance and website) are actually making somebody either play your game or leave it.

You might either ignore these advices, or try to make some use of them. Hope it's helpful.

PS. You might want to switch your website to pixelchampions.com from frostwinds.com in your TIG profile

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »

I've started working on roads to connect (what will hopefully soon be) large cities. The roads provide a speed bonus to the player, and should allow me to seperate the cities quite far apart without the need for additional boats.

Now I just need to adjust some weights in the auto-walk code so that it favors having the player walk on roads rather than the shortest path.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2013, 09:13:40 PM »

thx again for the feedback, kamac

I don't know if I agree with there being a lack of 'style' in the artwork; there's consistent light-source direction, weapon facing, contrast, color count, etc) in the sprites. However, the four monsters that I drew (the rest are drawn by contracted pixel artists) are in the wrong perspective: snake, bug, bee, and scarab. I'll request these be redrawn once higher priority sprites have been drawn up.

I'm quite proud of my website. It renders correctly on just about every (1) browser (IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome), (2) operating system (Windows,Macintosh, Linux), and (3) device (desktop, laptop, tablet, smart-phone). It's very close to passing W3C's Validation; it fails due to (1) the embedded YouTube video (the markup YouTube gives isn't valid XHTML), and (2) some ASP.NET web-controls SNAFU (I need to replace the use of <ASP:Label>). And I've been complimented in the past on how easy my site is to navigate.

Having said that, I do agree the buttons in the Library section could at least highlight when the mouse rolls over them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:27:52 PM by Fleury » Logged

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »

Working on Build-234, designing a new zone, iteratively, lol..  Wink

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »

it doesnt work on my school pc D: thats too bad :/

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »

If you can tell me a bit about your school pc, or a bit about the error message you encounter, I'd be happy to see if there's any changes I can make to my code to allow it to run.

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »

If you can tell me a bit about your school pc, or a bit about the error message you encounter, I'd be happy to see if there's any changes I can make to my code to allow it to run.

I bet too low supported OGL version.
School computers are really bad at them.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »

i guess kamac would probably be right...

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »

School laptops are crap, if you can make it work on them it can probably work on anything.

Fleury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »

I doubt that the OpenGL version is the culprit; I don't use fbos or pbuffers or anything similar. I also don't use any fancy parameters for the functions that I do call, which I'll list below:

Code:
void glDisable(EnableCapp cap);
void glEnable(EnableCapp cap);
void glScissor(int x, int y, int width, int height);
bool glIsEnabled(EnableCapp cap);
void glBegin(BeginMode cap);
void glEnd();
void glVertex2i(int x, int y);
void glVertex2d(double x, double y);
void glTexCoord2d(double s, double t);
void glColor4ub(byte red, byte green, byte blue, byte alpha);
void glViewport(int x, int y, int width, int height);
void glMatrixMode(MatrixMode mode);
void glLoadIdentity();
void glOrtho(double left, double right, double bottom, double top, double zNear, double zFar);
void glBlendFunc(BlendingFactorSrc sfactor, BlendingFactorDest dfactor);
void glClear(ClearBufferMask mask);
void glClearColor(float red, float green, float blue, float alpha);
void glBindTexture(TextureTarget target, uint texture);
void glGenTextures(int n, out uint textures);
void glDeleteTextures(int n, ref uint textures);
void glEnableClientState(ArrayCap array);
void glDisableClientState(ArrayCap array);
void glFlush();
void glDrawArrays(BeginMode mode, int first, int count);
void glTranslated(double x, double y, double z);
void glCopyTexSubImage2D(TextureTarget target,
int level, int xoffset, int yoffset, int x, int y, int width, int height);
void glTexParameteri(TextureTarget target, TextureParameterName pname, int param);
void glTexImage2D(TextureTarget target, int level, PixelInternalFormat internalformat,
int width, int height, int border, PixelFormat format, PixelType type, IntPtr pixels);
void glTexSubImage2D(TextureTarget target, int level, int xoffset, int yoffset,
int width, int height, PixelFormat format, PixelType type, byte[] pixels);
void glVertexPointer(int size, VertexPointerType type, int stride, IntPtr pointer);
void glColorPointer(int size, ColorPointerType type, int stride, IntPtr pointer);

It looks like the OpenGL version required is 1.1. If his computer doesn't have that, I don't think there's a single OpenGL application for his OS that will run on it.

Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »

I doubt that the OpenGL version is the culprit; I don't use fbos or pbuffers or anything similar. I also don't use any fancy parameters for the functions that I do call, which

Are you using immediate mode?

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic