Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:22:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogscutthroat EP
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: cutthroat EP  (Read 15106 times)
mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »

My favorite part was that there was a button that just caused me to curse.  That captured something special about those days when you wake up and know it's going to be a crap day.  I'd love to see more of that in the game.  It's those moments that then make it so meaningful when I get to escape and be a bird. 

I'm struggling a bit to suggest anything else to add.  You could rest your head against the shower wall.  But things like fighting with your alarm clock while waking from a dream, running out of milk as you pour some cereal, spilling coffee, etc. are all a bit cliché? Or more to the point, the beauty of the curse is it's ambiguity.  As the player, I get to fill in the reason why he's cursing, so I feel more connected. 

In that same vein, I like the decision of stripping down a character (literally) to create a bond with a player.
PostPre
Level 1

Posted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »

This might be totally ridiculous but sometimes when flapping, the bleepy-bloops sort of formed a harmony to the song. If it did that more strongly/consistently that would be a nice touch - although it's certainly a polish thing since it would take some work.

Yeah, that was on purpose. There's one flapping sound that doesn't harmonize though, I'll see about getting it removed. Should make things much more cohesive.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. As you can hear by playing the build, we're going in the direction of procedural audio. Specific scenes, however, will have normal music tracks. This is my first time really scoring something this closely, and I'm having a good time of it.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »

showering vid is intense. does personalize/normalize character. good idea/execution.
mikewest
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »

which I accidentally forgot to remove.
Haha, just a coincidence then.  Well it certainly set the tone, and I'd vote for keeping it in.  Anyway, looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Alpha Zulu
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »

I'm totally intrigued by this game. You say you're re-using the engine from a previous game. What did you use to build it?
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »

He's a bad skeleton. Drinking a heart's juice (??) in his underpants Tongue

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 05:48:26 AM »

Mega cool-looking.
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »

Haven't checked out your stuff in a while zak, but I'm digging all this weird crap so far though, last game I played of yours was Love Space, and this is quite the departure. I'm mostly just posting so I can remember to follow this...anyway peace.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:34:26 PM by IndieGamesDig » Logged
OneMrBean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 01:52:22 PM »

There's a lot going on in Catering to Birds that I'm loving.

- The seamless transitions from one room to another, including a wardrobe change
- The tilt of the screen when flying and in the elevator. (I'm becoming known for tilting the screen in my games, so I'm glad others are using it to emphasize moments and experiences).
- The presentation as a game (interactive cold opener, intro at elevator, title at rooftops)
- The fuck button. I had fun pressing it when it's least expected, such as on the elevator or with each flap. Adds so much more to the character, especially since "fuck" can be used as any part of speech and for any emotion.

So, I'm a bit curious as to how you came up with the design for transitioning between areas (bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, hallway). This is something I find very interesting as it removes the need to open doors, change clothes, etc. and just lets you get to where you need to be going.

Thanks and looking forward to future updates!
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »

I like where this is heading.
tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »

dang looks lovely! like seriously really good! i'll be looking forward to this  Hand Shake Right

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 10:24:03 AM »

the 21st came and went.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

o u no iz gon b gud
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »

wut happend 2 "play nao -->" ??

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »

ok cool, waiting for it then

tanner bananer
Level 1

aspiring train conductor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 06:52:30 PM »

the game is real close to be finished, though!

The whole EP or catering to birds?

PostPre
Level 1

Posted

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »

I agree check it out and hopefully they have some speakers set up so you can hear the sound work I did for it!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 10:38:32 PM »

i want play
OneMrBean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »

I've mentioned before this is high up on my watch list, so I'd love to see how things have progressed since last year. Thanks in advance!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 05:04:13 PM »

I played noticed a few things.

the falling animation doesn't play when you first fall down, before you can fly.

and if you hold left in the elevator you'll find yourself on the other side when riding it up. http://i.imgur.com/xoDWwcD.jpg

but it's cool, though I think the glitchiness is too frequent when it first starts happening. should give it a little bit longer before it ramps up.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic