Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:56:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDDrop - 2D Action RPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: DDrop - 2D Action RPG  (Read 30566 times)
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 11:18:22 AM »

For some strange reason (*cough* the wife's wishes) we decided to move over the holidays, which when coupled with the holidays has meant not a whole lot of progress the last couple of weeks. With some luck, we'll get internet at our new place this Thursday and then hopefully sanity ensues...

Last week I did get started on the implementation for traps. A lot of the annoying leg work is done, and now I just need to flesh out the various types and triggers. The simplest to implement was a projectile trap. It is exactly as it sounds: when triggered, it fires off some kind of projectile, be it a fireball, arrow, poison gas cloud, or whatever. In many ways, projectile traps are just a special case of emitter so it was only a couple of hours of work to get something basic up and running.

Of slightly more importance, I *finally* tracked down an awful performance bug that was murdering the CPU. I was convinced that there was something vile going on in the physics system, which turned out to be totally incorrect (although the physics system was a prime manifestation of the issue.) It actually turned out to be some simple evil of leaving in debug code where it shouldn't be and that debug code being horrendously broken anyway. (Performing dynamic string copies on *every* single random element access = very, very bad.)  The net result of that fix was instead of blitzing the CPU during physics solving with only 40-50 on screen entities, we can now solve for many hundreds/low thousands of closely situated objects. Since basically everything in the game is physically interactive (character, enemies, projectiles, objects, debris, coins, items) squashing this bug will finally let me sleep better at night.

And in celebration of axing that bug, I present a short video with a lot of fireball spewing  altars and a lot of goblins. Just a bit of fun :D

At some point, I want to write about our data system (short story: xml based that have a high level of readability/correspondence to game object hierarchy and support for [nested] templates) but that post will take forever. So in the meantime, here's a look at the data which drives the basic fireball trap shown in the video.

Fireball Trap
This "trap" just shoots out fireballs in any random direction on a timer, versus being triggered by some event.
Code:
<FireBallTrap_A name="fireball_trap_A">
<Emitter >
<Nexus type="point" offsetx="0" offsety="0" size="0.0" slope="0.0"/>
<Pattern type="arc" dir="0" minangle="0.0" maxangle="360.0" minmag="200.0" maxmag="250.0"/>
<Burst emitonload="1" numbursts="-1" minemittables="1" maxemittables="1" bursttimer="3.00"/>
<Emissable class="interactive" database="Object" entry="Fireball" quantity="3" />
</Emitter>
</FireBallTrap_A>

Fireball Object
Code:
<Fireball name="fireball">
<Template database="Object" entry="HasBlobShadow" />
<SceneNode posz="32" />
<Renderable debugdraw="5" />
<Sprite file="art/effects/particles/fireball.xml" />
<Dynamic mass="10.0" cod="0.0" cor="1.0" gravity="0" rotatetoheading="1"/>
<Collidable type="9" height="28" prop="3">
<Reaction objtype="4" action="10"/>
<Reaction objtype="5" action="10"/>
<Reaction objtype="6" action="10"/>
<Reaction objtype="7" action="10"/>
<Reaction objtype="10" action="8"/>
</Collidable>
<Interactive maxhp="4" passive_dmg="4" />
<Entity> <Body iscircle="1" radius="15.0"> <Vert x="0" y="0.0" /> </Body> </Entity>
<Node class="emitter">
<SceneNode name="em_destruct"/>
<Template database="Emitter" entry="BloodSpray"/>
</Node>
</Fireball>
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »

This looks very nice, I'll keep an Blink out for further updates
Would love to see a simple diagrammatic explanation of touch controls.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »

Game looks solid, and the 3D effect is really cool. Very nice art, as well.

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 01:11:56 PM »

This looks very nice, I'll keep an Blink out for further updates
Would love to see a simple diagrammatic explanation of touch controls.

Thank you! I don't have a diagram or anything for the touch controls, and they are actually far from finalized right now. How it currently works though is as following: Touching anywhere on the left half of the screen will 'center a virtual joystick' at that position. Then you can slide your finger in any direction to get the character to move. The threshold is quite small so you don't have to move your thumb much at all. This was heavily inspired by how Mage Gauntlet handles their hidden virtual dpad. Further, if you do slide your finger a lot, once you stop moving your finger, it will recenter the joystick slightly offset from the current touch pos back along the direction you were sliding, so the threshold to change directions is again quite small.

The current iOS build, which is 2-3 months old, just has tapping on any part of the right half of the screen as attacking. Since then we've added inventory item usage which requires a button and thus the attacking will have to be modified a lot. I may try and update the iOS build soon and take a short video which shows how this works, although the "feel" is what's obviously important. As it is right now, I'd say the controls are not obvious, but once you are aware of them, fairly intuitive.

Game looks solid, and the 3D effect is really cool. Very nice art, as well.

Thanks very much! I'm glad you like the 3D walls - we've not gotten any feedback on that since changing them as this is the only place it's ever been seen. I will pass along your compliments on the art as well :D

Sort of jumping back to iOS for a second; we're actually heavily leaning towards splitting the release of the game into PC/Mac as the lead/launch SKUs and releasing iOS/Android later. There are a lot of reasons for this: (1) we are a small team and 4, largely different, platforms is very time consuming. (2) the mobile versions will need extra love with the controls as well as a lot of heavy duty optimization. (3) the markets/audiences between desktop and mobile are vastly different and the actual structure of the desktop and mobile versions may end up being quite different.
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 02:54:21 AM »

It lives

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 10:45:09 PM »

This past week was sort of lost, sadly. Besides needing to get a flash adver-game contract I'm doing to Alpha, I was also sick a couple of days. I still managed to get a new feature into the game though, which is pretty fun: explosions!

Right now the explosions are just a physical effect; no fancy visuals to accompany them, but that's coming down the pipe soon.

Up to this point, we've basically been building up this sandbox of features and systems. It's now pretty easy to add content and build rooms and what not, and there are a lot fun things to tinker with. So, it's time to actually make the *game*; we need game flow, add in narrative, design and build actual rooms, etc. It's pretty exciting but also kind of terrifying realizing how much work is left. A good kind of terrifying, mind you, but still sobering.

Pretty soon, all of the placeholder graphics and rooms are going to be replaced with actual final quality stuff and I hope that it turns out as awesome as it is in my head. I guess we'll see :D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:05:27 PM by randomshade » Logged
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »

Your wall parallax looks really good! However, it strengthens that some things in the game are of a different perspective, like the TNT-crates in the video.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:52:38 AM by Hipshot » Logged

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »

Incredible indeed!
Are you still aiming to release on OUYA?
Can't wait to try this out :D

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 01:06:06 PM »

Incredible indeed!
Are you still aiming to release on OUYA?
Can't wait to try this out :D
Thanks Smiley
Yep, we are still planning on releasing for OUYA. We didn't back the KS and don't have dev kits, and the Android version of our engine is very incomplete, but there are basically no real reasons for us to not support it. The game plays best on a TV w/ controllers IMO anyway, so it's a fairly natural fit.

Your wall parallax looks really good! However, it strengthens that some things in the game are of a different perspective, like the TNT-crates in the video.

Indeed, the perspective is a challenging problem. (And thank you!) Obviously, it's not possible for us to make it 100% accurate but we'd still like to get something that looks as natural as possible, or at least distracts as little as possible. Whether we can make the un-realism as subtle as games like a LttP, I don't know. But we're going to try!

To that end, I've modified the perspective to be more "drawn down" such that the south faces of the 3D rendered things are always visible. But by doing this, the lower wall can completely cover/obscure the player and other objects. A cheap and quick solution to that was fading out the bottom wall as you approach it. Here's a video to demonstrate. I'd love to hear your thoughts on whether or not this an improvement!

Also, dynamic shadows are looking a lot better. I added in some random animation to them to go along with the flickering of the lights.
NeonMusashi
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »

This is looking really good!

I think it's working with the transparency, but I was wondering it would be possible to lock the camera movement a certain distance from the walls and to block the perspective shift from that point. You could get the same "slanted wall effect" for the bottom wall, and manage to keep your Zelda dungeon wall effect consistent across all of the walls.
I don't know if that's making any sense to you  Smiley

Btw, your post on resolution/texture management/porting was brilliant!

Looking forward to see more of your game, thanks for sharing!
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 08:35:03 PM »

This is looking really good!

I think it's working with the transparency, but I was wondering it would be possible to lock the camera movement a certain distance from the walls and to block the perspective shift from that point. You could get the same "slanted wall effect" for the bottom wall, and manage to keep your Zelda dungeon wall effect consistent across all of the walls.
I don't know if that's making any sense to you  Smiley

Btw, your post on resolution/texture management/porting was brilliant!

Looking forward to see more of your game, thanks for sharing!

Thank ya! Yes, it is definitely possible to lock the camera within or close around the boundaries of the room thus preventing the walls from ever being in a particularly odd configuration. However, unlike in our PAX build where rooms faded in and out, we'll be having the transitions occur in-place. So as the player walks through a door, effectively under a section of the wall, and continues onto the other side and next room, the camera will have be to free.

Perhaps we can lock the camera while the player is in the room though, and only free it up when the player actually leaves through a door and then lock it again once they enter the next area. This might vastly reduce the appearance/time of odd angles mixing...something to try, I think. Thanks for all of your input!
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 12:01:56 AM »

Ah, January 2013, so full of contract work...

Anyway, the other guys at Pixelscopic have been *super* busy. Incredibly busy. And I've finally got some new and cool stuff to show!

, yay!
New website with lots of information 'bout the game. EDIT: Oops, apparently this isn't live yet...still just the sign up page. Well, should be coming online in the next couple hours. EDIT 2: Live now, although missing a couple of pieces of art.
Greenlight Page - I would hugely appreciate any upvotes!

If you check out any of the above, it's impossible to miss that we also launched a Kickstarter. That, was an interesting process. Good move? Bad move? No idea, we'll see how it goes.

The exciting thing 'bout all of the above finally launching, is that I can show off new and cool stuff here, which our artists had sort of been forbidding me to do Cheesy Also, guess a new screenshot would be nice.

Back to writing the newsletter update and more emails...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:04:17 AM by randomshade » Logged
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 12:45:14 AM »

You guys did a great job putting together your Kickstarter. I'm sure by the end of it you will be very happy you did run a Kickstarter. It is a lot of work but can be very rewarding. Good luck!

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15:01 AM »

You guys did a great job putting together your Kickstarter. I'm sure by the end of it you will be very happy you did run a Kickstarter. It is a lot of work but can be very rewarding. Good luck!

Thank you! It was...a lot of work, a lot more than I anticipated. Using KS was a raging internal debate for several months and then once we decided to do it, we constantly debated on the actual details. I'm just happy it's finally up and curious to see how it's received!  Grin

Also checking out the Greenlight statistics is pretty interesting -- it seems pretty volatile, but very neat. I didn't figure we'd get any GL or KS traffic until the morning, but I was a bit wrong.
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2013, 06:32:55 AM »

You have my money and my vote. Good luck with the kickstarter!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2013, 08:09:36 AM »

phil f'bokd about this. will throw a few bucks your way!

play hydlide 2
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »

I just noticed on your greenlight page that you don't link to your Kickstarter. You definitely should to create synergy between the too. Wink

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2013, 11:54:09 PM »

You have my money and my vote. Good luck with the kickstarter!
Thank you. It is greatly appreciated Smiley

phil f'bokd about this. will throw a few bucks your way!
Awesome and thanks! You guys are making me blush.

I just noticed on your greenlight page that you don't link to your Kickstarter. You definitely should to create synergy between the too. Wink
On the list!

Now that all kinds of stuff 'bout the game is out in the wild, I think it time to refocus the devblog a bit, which has previously been: sporadic and schizophrenic. Originally, I thought this was the perfect place to keep track of my roadplan, but that turns out to be really boring to write about. And probably read. So, what I'd like to do, is just start posting about random cool stuff in the game and also going over anything that someone is curious about. So, that's your cue: any thing, no matter how big or small, you would like me to dissect? If no one volunteers, I'll choose which will probably suck again. You've been warned.

Today was a strange day -- super busy, yet I didn't have any contract milestones breathing down my neck or wasn't implementing anything in DD. Actually, today was probably the first time I haven't written any code in...man, a long time. I was feeling like jacking around though, so I made a little "homage" video to TIGSource.  Big Laff

randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »

Some glorious HUD

Some glorious death (from Endless Drop mode)
Wilds
Level 0

Capre Diem

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »

Hey Coby, I asked on the live video today about the lighting and shadows system.
Could you tell more about it? (can be technicall if you can/are allowed)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic