Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:56:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallTELETROOPER - Pixelly shmup with unique controls!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: TELETROOPER - Pixelly shmup with unique controls!  (Read 12948 times)
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:28:21 PM »

After 7 years in the making, we finally finished:

Download the game!

Visit the website!

TELETROOPER is a fast-paced flying shooter with an unashamedly high difficulty level.

It was beta-tested by the kind people at TIGForums (under the name Telenaut), and now it's ready for everyone!

Would love to hear comments, questions, screams of pain below!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:38:01 AM by AdamButcher » Logged

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:57:36 PM »

Teletrooper? Not sure I can get used to that!

Congrats on the release dude. I'll give it a shot, maybe even play through again.

To everyone else, Telenaut was one of the finest games to come out in years. Please play this.
Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 12:19:34 AM »

I have to say how amazing the beta was, I can only imagine the full release is that much more. I'm gonna have a hell of a time getting used to the name, trooper makes me think of a ground solder. Telenaut just had that.. ring to it.

Ah well, the gameplay is amazing!

AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:37:30 AM »

Yeah - I had to change the name because Telenaut already was a little flash game (in which you played a teleporting astronaut, surprise surprise). "Teletrooper" was the best 2nd option.

Glad you both are fans (of the game at least)! Feel free to spread the link around  Gentleman

Kit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »

Yeah - I had to change the name because Telenaut already was a little flash game (in which you played a teleporting astronaut, surprise surprise). "Teletrooper" was the best 2nd option.

Glad you both are fans (of the game at least)! Feel free to spread the link around  Gentleman

They should change the name of their game D: Make them use Telepastronaut or something! Or change their main character to a teleporting space baker, telepastrynaut? Sad Sad XD Oh, but that wouldn't be fair. You know, it doesn't spoil the game at all, I'm mostly just joking around. Insecurities about change! Dang OCD! 8D

But in all seriousness, I will support the Teletrooper name! <3

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 04:14:24 AM »

7 years? That might actually be old enough to run at acceptable speeds in Wine with my hardware Durr...?. Will give it a try!
DoctorKirby
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »

Any chance of it being on Desura?
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »

I pressed my space bar during the training part and the game locked up. I had to force quit it.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 03:19:08 PM »

Any chance of it being on Desura?

Oooh! What does it involve?

I pressed my space bar during the training part and the game locked up.

Dammit! That's an unfixable bug, that I understand is very rare. Sorry about that! Game should work fine without you ever pressing Space. It's just the pause button. (And you can skip the Training, once you've tried it once)

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 03:45:40 PM »

Dammit! That's an unfixable bug, that I understand is very rare. Sorry about that!

Right, unfixable bug.

Uhm, just an other thing I noticed, in one of the between scenes quote things, the player character refers to a Japanese soldier in WW2 as a "Jap soldier". Would he really say "Jap"? It's a racial slur and he's in the future. Did an other war happen with the Japanese to make people racist against them again?

mes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »

i'm really enjoying it so far. i'm playing without autoaim and it's quite tricky but very fun. i love the artwork, especially the map screen. it controls similar to altitude, which i recommend checking out if you don't know of it.
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »

I really liked the first boss. His charge in attack was really neat.

I have to say though, I find the tight clusters of trees that are sometimes on the outskirts of levels to be very annoying. You can get caught up in them and lost under their foliage which results in crashing all over the place with no easy way to get out. The fact that you reverse direction any time you hit anything can exacerbate the problem by making it very confusing to figure out which way you are facing at any given time.

I think that just hard solid clusters of trees with no gaps to fall into between them would be a much less frustrating level design norm.

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 10:46:07 PM »

Been going back & getting all the medals I can, and I just saw an odd bug. The second Greisha worm on Wastes exited the level at the top right (after briefly pinning me there) & never came back.

BTW, what's changed since the last version of Telenaut?

Right, unfixable bug.

You shiggy?

Uhm, just an other thing I noticed, in one of the between scenes quote things, the player character refers to a Japanese soldier in WW2 as a "Jap soldier". Would he really say "Jap"? It's a racial slur and he's in the future. Did an other war happen with the Japanese to make people racist against them again?

It's contemporary belittling slang, along the lines of 'Jerry' or 'Kraut' for Germans, or 'Ami' for Americans. True that anti-Japanese propaganda was racially charged, but why would the player character- a combatant- go out of his way to be politically correct? Besides, 'Jap' isn't the slur against Japanese in usage today, let alone the future.
DoctorKirby
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »

Oooh! What does it involve?

http://www.desura.com/groups/desura/howto
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 02:30:15 AM »

Right, unfixable bug.
Lol, I guess after 7-8 years, some bugs have to be declared "unfixable". It's free remember!

what's changed since the last version of Telenaut?
In all honesty, not loads that you'll notice. Things like Wave Counters in levels, fixing a few (fixabale) bugs. A few levels have had a bit of work done to them that you may notice (TF: Sentinel, EH: Generator, WF: Sentinel, EH: Force Sector). Or may not!

Good luck with the medals - there are rewards! Well, hello there!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 04:42:40 AM »

You could compromise and say "unfixable given the current circumstances" Wink
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »

It's contemporary belittling slang, along the lines of 'Jerry' or 'Kraut' for Germans, or 'Ami' for Americans. True that anti-Japanese propaganda was racially charged, but why would the player character- a combatant- go out of his way to be politically correct? Besides, 'Jap' isn't the slur against Japanese in usage today, let alone the future.

Who calls American's "Ami"? I've never heard of that. I've heard them being called "Yanks" but never "ami". Did you just make that up?

How is Jap not a slur "in usage today"?! Walk up to an old Japanese person and call them a "Jap" and see how that goes. It's a slur, dude, it's racist and has a negative connotation, you're being a little bit ignorant if you don't know that. Most Germans aren't going to complain if you call them a Kraut, but they aren't going to like it either. That's why you tend to only hear it being said in period pieces about WW2 where it was just the reality that people said stuff like Jap and Kraut, or by insensitive people who think it's funny.

Jap is especially insulting because the Japanese were pretty harshly interned in the United States during the war AND they got two atomic bombs dropped on them. So it's pretty uncool to call them "Japs" and make light of the war around them.

I find it odd that a soldier in the far future would know that the Japanese were referred to as Japs by grunts in WW2 and would say it instead of just "Japanese soldier". Do you know what the Romans referred to the Gauls as when they were fighting them and would you use their slur when talking about some historical fact about the Gauls? No, because you are in the far future from that time and have no interest in dehumanizing or insulting someone who isn't your enemy.

We know that Allied soldiers called the Japanese the "Japs" during WW2 because we've all seen movies and TV shows about the war and we might think it's quaint to talk like them when talking about the war to bring about a feeling of the time, maybe even going so far as to put on an American good old boy accent to stress the point. But this doesn't make it acceptable.

We know that American soldiers now refer to islamic people they are fighting against as "Hadjis" but is it a acceptable to call them that because some redneck soldier who has to get shot at them all year decides to vent his frustration in a racist manner?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:00:50 PM by Geothermal » Logged

AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »

@Geothermal
Didn't really want to weigh in on this one - but as the writer of that particular paragraph I think should justify it a bit:

1)Although the game is "sci-fi", I think it's a bit of a leap to assume it's set in some recognisable "future". I really wanted to reference a WW2 sensibility for the whole of the game, particularly in the dialogue. I hoped it would lend it a kind of Catch 22 quality. Sorry if that didn't come across.

2)Jones is a fictional character. Given the situation he's in, I think political correctness is the last thing on his mind. To say that he's racist tho...I think his outlook is more empathetic than that.

3)I think Jones is specifically talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_holdout

4)I'm sorry if I offended or surprised anyone with that bit of dialogue, but it felt right to me in Jones' mouth and I stand by it.

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »

Ever since I got WF Inner Working's medal, I've been sure none are beyond reach, and I've nabbed all in TF, WF, and DC unless there are 'hidden' medals elsewhere besides EH Sprite Chase?

Anyway, I'm pleased with the medals grind. Didn't realize how achievable it was to get medals, Teletrooper's skill ceiling being even higher than I thought. In fact, it's taking as few or fewer attempts to qualify as it did to win the levels in the first place. I also like how many medal qualifications are really lopsided, calling for aggressive Pyrrhic victories or more conservative hit 'n run tactics (etc.).

Is it necessary to complete Shadow Run to get any content? TBH it's tragically unfun for me- Teletrooper is an extremely challenging, high-execution game with short segments, like a masochistic platformer. Unlike such games, this one pulls it off by having considerable tactical depth, variety, and unpredictability (no two attempts play out the same). Unfortunately Shadow Run is so trivial that it degenerates into pointless masochism. OFC it doesn't affect my view of the game, since it's only extra content, just sayin'...

Fresh bug for y'all: on Sprite Chase, you can charge perpendicularly through a teleporter without teleporting. It's only happened on the first (top) combat chamber, but it happened twice in three attempts.

Who calls American's "Ami"? I've never heard of that. I've heard them being called "Yanks" but never "ami". Did you just make that up?

How is Jap not a slur "in usage today"?!

The Germans used 'Ami'. 'Jap' is obviously offensive but a different 3-letter word remains in common usage to slur the Japanese today.

Please take this to PMs.
AdamButcher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »

Didn't realize how achievable it was to get medals, Teletrooper's skill ceiling being even higher than I thought.
is exactly what I've always wanted to hear. Guess it's a game that's hard to learn, and harder to master!

Glad you've unlocked some of the medal rewards. A point about the one you mention: Shadow Run is its own reward - there's nothing given at the end. Personally I find it really fun, like a flying Super Meat Boy, but it's not for everyone. Or even anyone but me.

And a point about how many medals there are: There are 4 hidden medals in total. One in each main world. I'd look in longer/multi-screen levels...

Wow this forum is starting to look like the Stasi have been at it...

ANYONE ELSE STUCK, LOST, GETTING FURTHER?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic