Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1025468 Posts in 41091 Topics- by 32696 Members - Latest Member: AVTeam

July 22, 2014, 07:26:52 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsIsomer [XCOM / dwarf fortress / survival sandbox] Now on Steam!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Isomer [XCOM / dwarf fortress / survival sandbox] Now on Steam!!  (Read 14626 times)
K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 09:31:52 AM »

Looks good, but I would like some more images of the procedural terrain generation.

Once I figure out how to stitch a number of screenshots together properly I'll post something, I just tried using Autostitch but didn't get too far Shocked, the result was amusing though..

The worlds are so big it's quite difficult to really show them off without taking a huge number of screenshots and creating a large image from them. The only other idea I have is to record the game panning through a section of land and upload it to youtube...

I'll see if I can find a better utility, I'd really like to create a couple of zoomed out  map style images - but doing this by hand for (literally) hundreds of screenshots from a single world would be a real pain.

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »

True thing. We're actually thinking of breaking out one aspect of the game and make a smaller separate pet project to have something that's finishable in less time just to get some experience with publishing and getting our name out. We'll see.

Test runs are always good, I guess it would depend on the type of game and platform but it sounds like a good idea.  Smiley

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 05:41:48 AM »

The last couple of days have been quite busy, however as a result early combat mechanics are now in place. Entities can shoot at (with appropriate LOS checks), do damage and kill each other. Lots of polish still required (including calculating alternative laser paths for shots that miss) but I'm pleased with the progress.

Here's a screenshot of one of the shooting galleries I used for testing, poor creatures Cheesy. Oh and ignore the "Missed" text, each entity has the ability to say things and this is going to be used in the final game however for now it's a handy way of debugging their states  Wink

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention I made changes to the way in which the world is rendered in order to hopefully address the prospective issues raised earlier in this thread. Here is a layer by layer chunk of the world from the bottom to a layer above the dropship. I think this is about as clear as I can make it before the lighting code goes in.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:53:46 AM by K1lo » Logged

Chris Polus
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 10:18:37 AM »

Hehe, K1lo, consider to post your failed panorama shot in the "Beautiful Fails" post, hehe.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26727.0

Gentleman

http://about.me/chrispolus - my website, music, sound design, videos and services.

I'm the
- sound designer of Son of Nor (Devlog) at stillalive studios
- sound designer of the Arcan Chronicles
K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »

Hehe, K1lo, consider to post your failed panorama shot in the "Beautiful Fails" post, hehe.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26727.0

Gentleman

Ha! I was looking for that thread - I was sure I'd seen one on this forum but I couldn't remember what it was called  Grin

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »

Somehow another week has gone past! Lots of progress with Isomer including improvements to rendering but the biggest change is combat (things now actually shoot at each other) and entity interactions.

When entities don't have any instructions in their internal command queue, a character type specific idle AI takes over. As part of this, all entities now scan what is in front of them to a range governed by their perception skill. If they detect hostile characters they will target and fire on the closest target they see. It's quite fun to sneak a couple of troops behind a small squad of aliens and open up before being spotted. If a unit comes under fire they will also try to spot where they are being fired at from, if there is a target within their perception range they will return fire. It's slightly hard to work out who is firing when two entities fire simultaneously at each other, but this will be fixed when the beam is matched to a weapon (rather than just originating and terminating in the middle of entities) but this will have to wait until the proper entity sprites are finished.

Actions (i.e. moving, firing, mining, building) also now deplete energy which is replenished according to the stamina skill of the entity. If the energy level of an entity drops below a certain threshold, exhaustion takes hold which effects the speed they carry out orders and their aim.

The world is really starting to come alive with entities reacting to each other  Smiley, I've also worked out exactly how entity upgrades are going to work but I'll save that for a longer post complete with screenshots once I implement it next week

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »

I somehow feel like you should control the aliens landing on planet earth and trying to take over it  Well, hello there!

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 09:44:53 AM »

Wow, it has been a few days since the last proper update! I took half of last week off so that played a part I suppose, but a break every now and then is good Smiley

Despite still being really early in the development process I got a little play-testing done which yielded lots of great suggestions. It was really helpful to sit someone who had never played Isomer down and, without telling them anything, see how they got on. Whenever I had to explain anything I made a note (excluding where functionality was missing or a work in progress). I then went through and redesigned / tweaked some bits to make things more obvious to new players.

Then my dev machine decided to go a bit wobbly, so I lost a day backing everything up and reinstalling the OS and Visual Studio (which seems to take an age!).

In terms of new stuff, I've got a rough design working for the unit upgrade screen. Each unit the player controls can have two bits of equipment (one on each arm) and armour. The player has to decide what to equip each arm of each unit with, i.e. weapon, mining or building attachments and each type of equipment can be further upgraded at a cost to overall weight. Here is a work in progress screenshot of the unit equipment screen (ignore the quick and dirty dev placeholders  Evil )

Dead aliens / units can be harvested for parts now which cleans up the battlefield a little bit. The number of resources recovered depend on exactly what equipment the entity had and a bit of chance.

I also fixed a funny bug which caused friendly unit to panic, turn and fire at their teammates when suddenly coming underfire.  Cheesy

Finally, I also formalised everything I want to do with Isomer into a rather spiffy design document. It felt a little counter to the spirit of indie development to write up a document like this, but it really helped to highlight things that still need thrashing out as well as solidifying the core ideas. Something I need to do is go back to my first post on this thread and update it with extracts from this, hopefully I'll find time this week to do that.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 02:23:56 AM »

May I ask what you are making this with?

Do I need a signature?
K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 02:27:48 AM »

May I ask what you are making this with?

Sure! The game is written in C++ using a game library called Sepia that I originally wrote to wrap up the standard lower level game engine plumbing a couple of prototype projects ago. It uses Allegro 5 for drawing at the backend. Placeholder art assets are made in GIMP although the artist/designer I'm working with uses Photoshop and Illustrator.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 03:14:43 AM »

You said in your first post that the game was "real time strategy", but say that the game's combat system is like XCOM. How does that work?

Do I need a signature?
K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 05:27:25 AM »

You said in your first post that the game was "real time strategy", but say that the game's combat system is like XCOM. How does that work?

XCOM games are both turn based (i.e. UFO: Enemy Unknown/Terror from the deep) and realtime (Apocalypse) strategies. Given the sizes of the worlds (including height and underground depth) I feel turn based would have slowed the action down to the point of frustration. I think it also adds to the action if the hostile units are moving and reacting in realtime as opposed to incrementally in turns. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely love turn based strategy games, I just wasn't convinced it would work with the other elements Isomer has like mining, building and exploration.

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 05:37:57 AM »

I didn't expect it, but I have spent a lot of time (this week and in general) designing and putting together the game HUD. It's something I think is so important to get right but getting something unobtrusive and intuitive is really tricky. The HUD in Isomer is now on the fourth design but I'm now really pleased it with. Some bits are still missing like transport ship countdown and building commands but the rest is there with placeholder icons and buttons.

The buttons at the top cycle through all/idle/attacking friendly units, center on the currently selected unit or dropship, scroll the view up/down (which is also done by the mouse wheel) and pause/unpause the game. At the bottom are the health and energy bars for the selected unit along with their equipment and AI state (i.e. defending, moving, attacking, mining and building). Bottom right are resource stats.

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2012, 02:40:21 AM »

I somehow feel like you should control the aliens landing on planet earth and trying to take over it  Well, hello there!

I really like this idea, it has been rolling and rolling around in my head over the weekend. I'm currently thinking of adding biomass as a resource type which is obtained by harvesting humans and / or animals. Biomass would be used to heal, grow more troops and mutate them into more powerful versions... I like where this is going  Grin

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 09:10:41 AM »

Something I've found really useful when creating dialogs and HUD entries is the guides feature in GIMP. It's a good way of laying things out before you change a single pixel, to create one click on the image canvas borders (they look like rulers around the image) and drag the guide line to where you need it. Hopefully this will help someone  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic