Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:09:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTemporus, 2D Sci-Fi Platformer / SHMUP
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Temporus, 2D Sci-Fi Platformer / SHMUP  (Read 11599 times)
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »

Hello! I'm the lead developer for Temprous and I wanted to let you know I have a Kickstarter going to help fund the game art and audio! Let me know what you think. If you have any questions for myself and the team, you can comment here, on http://reddit.com/r/temporus or via twitter. Here are some links to more information!

Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/firebelly/temporus

Dev Blog/News: http://www.tempor.us

Firebelly Studios: http://www.firebelly-studios.com

Official Trailer:

Official Press Release: Here

Steam Greenlight: Here

Twitter: @firebellys

Featuring Local Celebs: Scut Fabulous and Pastel

Thanks for checking it out!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:59:36 PM by firebelly » Logged

firebelly - developer
firebelly studios ::: temporus ::: firebelly ::: twitter
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

General Update

Game play is laid out now and I am going to start cleaning the UI, adding HUD and enemies in the platform levels. Lets take a step back and look at how the game will operate and what it is all about.

Story Line Update
Temporus is set in a fictional part of the universe at a key turning point in a long war. Decades prior to this event a leading archaeologist unearthed a series of statues that possessed untold energy. This new found power was turned against the people of Temporus, as the scientist and his new followers used the statue's power to start amassing fleets. After many years of war, the scientist has built an immense fleet and is now descending on Temporus to wipe everyone out and start a new era. You are the captain of a cargo vessel that has be rigged with weapons. Most of the Temporus fleet lay in ruins as the hostile fleet begins the final decent. It will take a lot of cunning and agility to maneuver through the fleet, collect items to fight back and stop the scientist before it is too late. You have to discover a way to empower your fleet and take the power from the enemy. The real story heats up when you realize these statues are not power sources, but parts of a great machine, that has the power to change the course of history.

Technical Update
The game is technically broken up into two and a half parts. One part is piloting a ship while blasting enemies and dodging bullets. This is a progressive level design, where over time the difficulty ratchets up. It is endless. This is where the exploration steps in. Throughout these levels there will be docking points on debris, rocks or other ships. If you land your ship on these spots, you can enter the ship and explore it. These exploration spots are not stable and often have no life support on board or lights. It is your job to explore and collect resources in the hopes of finding the key to stopping the invading fleet. These rooms might also be guarded by robots, lasers or just debris from damage. Gravity is a feature of these ships as well, which can make it harder to get around quickly. The Half part is the fact you can enter your ship, walk around, adjust weapons, make repairs, etc. The ship itself is broken up into a few sections such as Bridge, Cargo, Crew Quarters, Science/Chem Lab, Engineering and Weapons. 

Here is a list of items that are either planned or in the works for the near future.
  • Achievements throughout
  • New HUD, need to ditch the Cave Story rips offs
  • New ship graphics, a couple of the ships are pulled from fair use resources, I'd like to acquire more art for these.
  • Little prizes to display in your crew quarters.
  • Building new obstacles for platform level
Screenshots

firebelly - developer
coupon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »

This looks pretty damn cool.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 08:36:49 PM »

I like this.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:30:47 AM »

Sounds really interesting, for sure. Love the graphics so far.

firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »

I added a new video to the site, it shows how the actual game play will work. There is still a decent amount of placeholder graphics from OpenGameArt though. I'm hoping to remove all that as time goes on. The graphics I do have so far need to be placed better. I just threw them on the screen for now so I can test things. Also there is still no goal or "winning" yet.

The concept is still being honed, but the basis is there.

http://www.tempor.us/post/39025247562/simple-play-through

firebelly - developer
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:26:19 PM »

I've been playing with tile tools to create backgrounds faster and easier. I tested a bunch out and decided on Tiled QT. I tried out Pyxel edit, but found that while the editor is amazing, it lacked a couple things I wanted. One was the way it imports tilesets, or lack of way. Tiled lets you pick a png file, define a size and import a tileset. Tiled has some bugs though, I find there are some strange behavoirs when you mix tile size. Lets say you have a tile that is 8x8 and you also use tiles that are 8x32. When you merge down your layers, you get problems, the 8x32 gets cropped into 8x8 sometimes. Also, transparency is not maintained when you merge down layers. This can be avoided if you plan ahead.

On with the show, these are more internal ship shots that I am tinkering with.

firebelly - developer
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:20:42 PM »

Cool concept. This looks great. I hope that the ship combat is as epic as it looks in that screenshot.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 12:01:55 PM »

Thought I would post some more pictures and give an update. I switched over to a better tiling system, so I can pump out better tiles. I also started working on some traps to make the platformer a little more difficult. The shooter portion of the game is mostly complete. It has three stages right now, open space, inside a station and final boss. The real fun happens when you are docking with debris and other things to go inside and run around. Mind you all the pictures I post here are reallllly early and likely to change. So here are some shots. I am having work done on the next levels tiles so those will be forthcoming in a month or so.

Rail Gun Animation (sorry for strange colors).

Jumping over acid.

Updated Tiles

Updated Tiles

firebelly - developer
ShinnyMetal
Level 0

I can makes musics!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:53 PM »

this looks great <3 fantastic atmosphere, especially the sections I saw that used a flashlight. Have you taken consideration on what kind of music you were looking for in this game quite yet?

firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »

this looks great <3 fantastic atmosphere, especially the sections I saw that used a flashlight. Have you taken consideration on what kind of music you were looking for in this game quite yet?

I'm working on that Smiley Once I get some real playable levels, I will start hunting for the right composer.

firebelly - developer
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »

I wanted to post some new images of the start screen and show give you guys a first glimpse of the "jelly" world. This is a world that is dominated by killer photo-plankton and have turned the planet into a giant catacomb of squishy jelly. I think the style of this level will be very familiar with many. Without further delay...

Start Screen

Jelly Level

firebelly - developer
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 10:30:09 AM »

I've been working on a new bridge and UI system. It's slowly getting there.

firebelly - developer
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »

Updates: v0.1.1007
  • The artists added some more details to the cabin.
  • Created a more proper navigation screen where you can select which missions to go on.
  • Working on some soundtracks to start

Lights still need move around, but this is what it might look like.

Also, the navigation screen is still in iteration 1. I think after a few more edits, it will be little more user friendly. There is some code I need to change to make sure the nav points align better and are leveled with your character.

firebelly - developer
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »

Updates: v0.1.1009
*Added some sound effects here and there.
*Worked on the transition screens and how you move from level to level.

I wanted to put on some animations. They are pretty small and don't show a ton of detail. Sorry Sad There is a lot of work left on the art. There are still a lot of place holders. 

firebelly - developer
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 01:27:07 AM »

Looks pretty sweet already Smiley

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 11:34:18 AM »

Peter did a new escape this week! Loving the design. Also started looking a better lighting system for the platformer.

firebelly - developer
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »

Jan 2010 Update
I've spent the last month mostly helping the composer and the other artists tinker with a video. I'm going to try and drop a trailer soon. Then I will get back to level design, layouts and dev blogs on the you tubes! Lots of cool stuff to show soon!

firebelly - developer
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »

Updated initial post with information on the Kickstarter!

firebelly - developer
firebelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »

So here is the updated image with new lighting.

Not a huge change, plus I'm still hoping to add some bump mapping eventually.

firebelly - developer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic