Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:41:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XIV - Lose Game
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XIV - Lose Game  (Read 5582 times)
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2012, 07:02:30 AM »

Well, the deadline has reached us, and the final judging will be happening. Unfortunately, I can't guarantee the results will be soon; been pretty busy, unfortunately. Tongue

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2012, 07:16:04 AM »

perhaps that means I can slip in an entry in the next few hours???  Embarrassed

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2012, 07:42:53 AM »

I'm really sorry, Callum, but even if I could break the rules, I just finished the judging after all. Sorry. Sad

The results:

rofklaw: You Lose Everything: I like the dissonances very much, as well as the synth pads. The only thing that holds me back from this winning the challenge is that the piano's a little too heavy on lofi effects, which is what makes the very end the most worth listening to.

JudahRoydes: Gameover: The beginning is amazing. While the rest is good as well, I really do feel the main key being in major ruins the mood a bit.

Raywonder: Death of a Hero: Very nice haunting atmosphere. At the same time, however, the only thing holding me back from picking you as the winner is the melody: it almost sounds more like it was meant for a dark in-game cinematic, as opposed to losing a game, because the mood sounds more suspenseful than defeated.

Kilig: To Lose: Very nice music, and is certainly among my top picks in this challenge. Personally, though, I felt a little more silence could accompany the end, instead of ending abruptly with a reversed choir.

Peregrinus: We Fall Together: I like your choice of instruments; it's not overwhelmingly MIDI-esque while not being overwhelmingly-realistic like some AAA game composers, either.

Vinz: Defeat: This is one of my personal favorites of the submissions. I am especially impressed that you chose to make the bagpipes play a melody different than what I expected.

yoshimitsu: Painstaking Progress Undone: Sorry I forgot to comment on this one again. The depressing mood is nice, but the quick release of the strings at some points contrasts with the attack to the point that it takes away from the quality.

pgil: The Sad Ending: You have a nice start via the melody, but, upon, listening to it again, I think what brought you down was the arranging: it sounds too MIDI-esque to me, the exception being the flute.

Xion: Continue? (Y/N): I imagine this would fit well in a science-fiction-tinged horror game, it sounds so dark. Not that that's a problem at all; on the contrary, it's one of my favorites for the purpose of this challenge. Sorry I forgot to comment earlier, btw.  Embarrassed

Turkowski: Regret Your Decisions: I think the noise of what sounds like a distorted square wave is a little too overwhelming. Everything else is definitely good, though.

E-Rock: He's Dead, Jim: Funny that you chose this instrumentation: I recently played Dead Cyborg, which involved similar music. I can easily imagine this for said game.

tipp: Sorry: Sorry (pun intended), but I'd have to agree with Kilig; it sounds a little bit more like generic Brian Eno, especially in the beginning, than sad music reflecting the loss of a game.

All these being judged, it was VERY hard for me to pick which of two submissions were best qualified to win, and the only reason the winner wins is because of my own preferred genre of music. That being said, the winner is:

E-Rock: He's Dead, Jim!

It's a VERY nice build, and the electric guitar only added to how much I enjoyed it. The best part would be the synth pads playing as if they were legato cellos, and the subtle celeste-esque arpeggio is very nice as well! And as I said before, it also fits well for the preexisting game I had played. Congratulations! Toast Right

I'll also throw in an honorable mention, who was the other choice for winner:

Vinz: Defeat

The overall sense of defeat fits very well. Almost sounds like you're playing a war game in some foreign nation, and you lost the war, an idea enhanced by your choice of artwork for the piece. Congratulations to you as well! Wink Toast Right

So, yeah. Thanks everyone for letting me host this challenge, and I look forward to competing in future events. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:50:39 AM by PythonBlue » Logged

Official Website
Bandcamp
medieval
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2012, 08:26:37 AM »

Again you forget me.

Huh?

HOWEVER fuck yeah, E-rock. Your entry kicked ass and deserves the credit. Everyone else great job too, I look forward to the next challenge
trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »

Congrats E-rock!

Kickass stuff everyone, Nearly everyone took a different path, but I think each worked really well for different genres of games.

next competition should be fun!

Sound Design & Music Composition<br />http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »

Again you forget me.

Huh?

HOWEVER fuck yeah, E-rock. Your entry kicked ass and deserves the credit. Everyone else great job too, I look forward to the next challenge

Sorry; the link was subtly placed, so I forgot again. :/ Just edited it.

Official Website
Bandcamp
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2012, 08:54:32 AM »

Contests E-rock! Now hurry up and start the next challenge.

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2012, 08:58:30 AM »

I'm really sorry, Callum, but even if I could break the rules, I just finished the judging after all. Sorry. Sad

it's cool. it was my bad for being lame and lazy.

Cool stuff, E-Rock. Your name sounds like a midi guitar preset. Congratulations. BATTER UP! Give us your best shot! Oh wait, we are all the batters... pitch us your best pitch.

E-Rock
Level 0

A Robott

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »

Shocked
Wow, that's really cool.  I'm really shocked to win, and I'm glad that Python and the rest of you enjoyed my entry!  It's an honor!   Smiley

Again, I also very much enjoyed all the entries in this challenge. It's cool to hear all the different ideas. Every song was great, really. 

I have a general idea for what I want the next challenge to be, but I want to look over previous challenges quickly first.  It's only just past noon for me right now, so I'll be sure to put something up before the end of my day.  I can't wait to hear what you guys come up with for it!  And, honestly, I dread having to judge it. Lol.
 Beer!

Audio Engineer/Songwriter
-Eric
Peregrinus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08:53 AM »

Yeah congratulation E-Rock :D
There was so much great work on this one.

Can't wait to see the next challenge!

There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.

I'm a composer. If you would like to hear my work : http://soundcloud.com/n-galipeau
vinz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »

Hey!

Congrats to E-Rock and each one of you... well done guys Beer!
And thanks for this "special" mention Tears of Joy ...

Next time... I'll do my best the same.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:09:37 AM by vinz » Logged

Let's groove...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic