Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:46:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioRebooting my article series on Video Game Music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rebooting my article series on Video Game Music  (Read 1773 times)
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »

Hey people,

After neglecting writing for too long, I've decided to give the article series "Thoughts on Video Game Music" on my website a general overhaul.

And here's where I need your help - I want the articles to be interesting for both composers who'd like to improve their craft as well as for game devs who'd like to get some insight on how we actually work.

Some topics I'd like to cover are:
  • Acquiring freelance jobs/ Promoting yourself / Proper communication / Writing contracts
  • Equipment and Software choices
  • Mixing and Mastering tips (e.g. mastering for mobile devices)
  • How to analyze and tackle different musical styles, with examples
  • Applicable music theory

I'd like these articles to be open for ideas, opinions and experiences.
So what would you like to read about? Or maybe you have an interesting story to share?

I'd love to get some feedback. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 01:39:21 AM »

Awesome idea. I'm already looking forward to your articles. However, I'd prefer if you kept them as close to the video game industry as possible - the internet is already loaded with lots of articles about music in a more general approach. I'd also like it, if you didn't keep it too entry level. Most basic things can be easily figured out by trial and error and reading general advice on music anyway. It'd be awesome to read about mastering tips for mobile devices or acquiring freelance jobs. I guess all of your chosen topics can be tackled in a way that's interesting.
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:16:34 AM »

Duly noted - thank you!

More ideas and feedback, anyone?

JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 04:41:36 AM »

I really liked the previous articles that you wrote. I do think that the subject of mastering for mobile devices is a good idea. I guess that could include mixing for mobile devices also since you really need to make sure you have a strong mono mix which makes it a bit different. It can be very tricky.

Covering different kinds of looping techniques and perhaps some of the audio middleware options like fmod would be cool also. There is really quite a lot that you can write about. Perhaps mixing music to leave room for sound effects and dialogue. ummm... lets see... dealing with audio buffer formats and file types/sizes. That's all I have for the moment. Smiley

trurkowski
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:47:12 AM »

I'd like to second what Lauchsuppe said,

With emphasis on self promotion and acquiring freelance jobs. Communication is also REALLY important.

Synthesizers would be a great topic on its own! (that can fall under hardware and software I guess)

Looking forward to seeing what you have to say!

Sound Design & Music Composition<br />http://soundcloud.com/trurkowski
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 05:12:07 AM »

Cool, many thanks people!

Yes, there's a lot to do... regarding the mobile devices audio, it's not even just mixing - how you choose instruments and do your arrangement also plays a vital part when considering your music will be played back on tiny speakers.
This was one of the topics at an Audio Academy with Chris Huelsbeck and Michael Stoeckemann that I went to earlier this year - I'd be happy to pass some knowledge on.

Synthesizers, hmm... I'm afraid lots of that would be redundant. I can throw in some kind of "Tips & Tricks" feature at some point though, highlighting some of my tried-and-tested instrument choices and effect flick-of-the-wrists.

Self promotion and acquiring freelance (remote) jobs is a topic that keeps coming up though, I'll definitely give this one a whole article.

Cheers,
Moritz

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 07:08:10 AM »

Speaking as a person interested in synthesizers, I really do think you should explore at least popular synths and sample libraries used for potential articles. I myself have been tempted to write a critical analysis of CoLD SToRAGE's sample libraries of choice for the Wipeout 2097 soundtrack.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Music Vortex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 03:13:13 AM »

Hey, cool idea Moritz!

I'm very interested in the topics you're bringing up, talking about mixing for mobile devices sounds like an excellent idea. I would also say that adaptative audio is a cool topic, one that I'm only starting to get into.

Looking forward to be reading your posts Smiley

Great music BTW! Wink

Cheers,

José

Jose Mora-Jimenez - Composer
Website | Soundcloud|
Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic