Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 09:56:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAlienoid Core
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Alienoid Core  (Read 18365 times)
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »

Alienoid Core is a roguelike and a shooter.  It is inspired by games like Spelunky, Super Crate Box, and lots more classic roguelikes.  It will feature randomly generated dungeons and lots of randomly generated guns to kill everything.  Many items, treasure, and bombs too, to help you on your way!  There also will be lots of secrets. You play as an alien who just ejected from their space craft when it crashed towards earth.  Now you need to follow a cave system underground to try and find the wreckage to call for help, not knowing that you'll have to get past the many deadly creatures that lurk in the caves.

Will you get home?  Will you get eaten by the caves residents?  Will you die from lethal levels of radiation caused by your ship, or will you just not even bother playing the game? Find out when I finish this game in a few months/years/never!

Original Post Below

Right now, there are randomly generated dungeons and you can move around your character, and that is about it, but it will progress.  I'll do bombs and guns next.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 04:43:34 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 07:18:01 AM »

Cool concept - I love games where humans aren't the hero but the problem.
Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »

Update 1
Got guns into the game now!  They have working ammo and reloading, and their stats can be modified with a few simple variables like, fire rate, reload time, ammo in clip, accuracy.  This had gotten me wondering if I should add randomly generated guns into the game, instead of a few pre set ones. That could increase replay ability a lot.  Also if I let the player see the stats of the guns on the ground, then they will be able to see if the gun is garbage or not, so they wont get mad at me for giving then a useless gun(Unless they run out of ammo and have to pick it up). What you think?

There is only one gun sprite at the moment, so I'll have to make more for different types of guns.

Cool concept - I love games where humans aren't the hero but the problem.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:46:21 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

namragog
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »

Aw man, this has all of the same graphical problems as your other one did. Ick.
The Rookie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »

What do you mean?

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:19:10 PM »

What do you mean?
This thread http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=28343.0

I thought it was better, I thought I fixed it, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

The Rookie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »

What do you mean?
This thread http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=28343.0

I thought it was better, I thought I fixed it, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I'd say it looks pretty good to be honest. Not the best, but way better than what you had before in that thread.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »

It's not that the game looks horrible, it's that it could be better.  The thing is, I suck with colours, and need to get better.  The walls are to bright and distracting, and take away focus from the player.  I changed it a bit, and am liking it better, but now that I see the pictures side by side, I realize that it really wasn't a big enough change.  Might edit later with another change.
Edit:Couldn't get the walls darker then the floors without making it look bad, will try again later.

OLD
NEW
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 08:29:56 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

The Rookie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 11:00:59 PM »

It's not that the game looks horrible, it's that it could be better.  The thing is, I suck with colours, and need to get better.  The walls are to bright and distracting, and take away focus from the player.  I changed it a bit, and am liking it better, but now that I see the pictures side by side, I realize that it really wasn't a big enough change.  Might edit later with another change.
Edit:Couldn't get the walls darker then the floors without making it look bad, will try again later.

OLD
NEW

Actually, I liked the old one better..but I guess different strokes for different folks.  Shrug

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »

Update 2
Recently I've been working more on guns, adding more stats that I can modify, like damage, how it bounces off walls, and how many shots are fired at once.  I think I've decided that I will be going with randomly generated guns for sure.  There are some problems with this, like guns that shoot out ten slow bullets that bounce off walls, 30 times a second.  This would both be over powered, and it drops the frame-rate significantly.  To combat this, I will be setting up different types of guns, and modifying the stats from that base example.  For example, the base shotgun fires 7 shots at once, and has low ammo and low fire-rate.  Then it would change that into one that fires off 5 shots, but with more ammo, and the bullets bounce off walls.  This system would give both random guns, and would stop really stupid guns from happening (Though I will add in some really dumb guns, just for fun).

I had a nice screenshot showing off the new gun stuff, but Imgur is down right now.

About all the art stuff, I'm going to forget about it for now.  I really want to get the game playable before I revisit the art.

Edit: Also fixed a nasty bug that stopped you from firing in some places.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:47:05 PM by Pixelulsar » Logged

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 03:25:34 PM »

Update 3
I made bombs work!  Now you can blow your ways through walls.  It took a while because some things that I thought should work didn't, so it was sort of trial and error.  They work great, and you can explode a lot without lowering the frame-rate, which was a nice and unexpected surprise, because I thought dropping tonnes of bombs at once would kill the game.  Also made a range stat for bullets.

In the screenshot, none of the bombs have exploded yet, because I haven't finished the actual explosion animation.  It is way more time consuming to draw then I expected, but will be done soon.  Probably the next update.

Notice the hole in the wall, that was bombs.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 09:39:07 AM »

Update 4
This is just a short lame update.  I just finished the explosion animation. I have a screenshot but I'm not going to post it because it looks really ugly when it is not in motion.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 05:36:26 PM »

Looks neat so far! One thing I'd suggest is that since you've got an alien hero and high-tech gadgets, you should consider making the bombs look more futuristic. Doesn't have to be crazy or anything, but something without a typical fuse would fit more with the rest of the game.  Smiley

Maverick Denizen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 12:28:12 AM »

Looks very interesting, looking forward to see more! Wink

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »

Update 5
Added money and gold to get, so you can now be the richest alien.  However, there are no shops, or other ways to spend your money yet.  Thinking about changing it from money to metal, and you could make it in to weapons and ammo at special stations that are scattered around.  That would make more sense because why would there be shops in a cave?

No screenshots this time too, because it's just an addition to the HUD.  You'll see it next time.

Looks neat so far! One thing I'd suggest is that since you've got an alien hero and high-tech gadgets, you should consider making the bombs look more futuristic. Doesn't have to be crazy or anything, but something without a typical fuse would fit more with the rest of the game.  Smiley
Great idea, I put it down on my to do note.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »

Update 6
I'm still working on random guns, but I added in the pods you get them from(they don't do anything yet).  I was working on the thing that comes up to show you what you would get from the pod, and I was happy with the way that looked, so I decided to make the main HUD look more like that, so I re-did the HUD.  What do you think?

You see everything in this screenshot.  The thing at the bottom is only when you are near the pod.  Will probably have working randomly generated guns soon.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 06:55:22 PM »

The HUD looks pretty nice. The bottom strip's kind of cluttered. Maybe use smaller icons, or automatically scroll through them while displaying less of them?

As for your tile problem, I believe it's because you're displaying the game from a top-down, 45 degree angle view, but the floor looks like a rock wall. Try to adhere to perspective more for the floor tiles, like the tiles of the top of the wall you have now. Also, you've got the light source for the floor tiles being above the floor tiles, like a sun that's above everything. You might not want to highlight areas so much as shade areas.

EDIT: And yeah, this looks better overall than the other thread, to me, so you're improving.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »

What SolarLune said. I didn't actually realize until recently that the player was walking around, it always looked more like the alien critter was floating because of the inconsistencies in perspective.
For the HUD, I agree that the bottom is a bit cluttered looking, but the style more closely suits the graphics of the game. The top bits are too chunky imo.

One suggestion to help emphasize an isometric feel is to give a slightly different hue to the tops vs. sides of walls. You've got the same values, which kind of flattens it rather than defining a form...also, everything is super saturated. I'd suggest toning down the saturation for things that aren't key to the game (player/enemies/items etc). Anyhow, here's a quick example of what I'm trying to explain:

I desaturated most things (even the player a bit, but that was just for curiosity's sake), and adjusted the values for the tops of the walls to make them more obviously the tops. Of course, the palette is up to you, I was just trying to illustrate the point  Smiley

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »

Thanks for the continued art help guys!  I'll try it all out.  

The bottom will be less cluttered, because some of the stats it shows aren't that important, so I'll remove a few of the useless ones, or remove the instructions and just add in a tutorial, because they take up a quarter of the room.

Edit: I realized why I'm not doing art as well as my other games, they were all platformers with the perspective right from the side, and that seems less tricky then a 45 degree angle (at least for me because I have less experience from that perspective).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:41:59 AM by Pixelulsar » Logged

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »

I love the idea of this game. And I've been wanting to play something like it for a while now.
I have some ideas about the game, but feel free to ignore them if you don't see them fit.

I think this game would benefit from a graphic overhaul. In my opinion a low resolution style like "fez","spelunky" or super crate box would really fit the overall game. And it would be much easier and less time consuming to crank out additional sprites and animations.

Here's a little example I did. Feel free to use it in whatever way you see fit.

I also think you should limit the enemies to creatures from earth and their mutated forms. You could always add levels and different areas like in "spelunky" (that would be great actually).

And last but not least I feel that the name "Alienoid Core" isn't that great. I think something along the lines of "alien overload" would do much better.

These are all just suggestions so feel free to ignore them. And keep up the good work.
And if you have any questions or need help feel free to contact me. (pm/mail/other ways?)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:59:15 AM by green » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic