Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:51:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogueLegends
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: RogueLegends  (Read 13065 times)
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »

Well ive been working on this roguelike for awhile and i feel its time to make it known . This will be the Dev Log and I’ll post as i progress .

This roguelike is Dwarf fortress and nethack  Inspired and very special in the fact that every adventure is completely unique, even the dungeon generator (of which i have 3 so far) is randomly determined  . The plot line and also your objectives and the depth of the dungeon are also randomly determined Though this is all true , the game still has a ton of depth for each plot, the game will be hard to stop playing, trust me..
Another thing that makes this roguelike unique is the fact that there are *side realms* which can be accessed from certain levels, that aren’t always there. And are actually quite common, some are bigger then others and have more levels then others as-well. These are also randomly determined as part of the algorythm and based on the plot of your specific game. Some are rat nests that house a rat king and an enchanted piece of chease, (these are not plot specific) some are haunted realms with a castle with 4 levels of its own (this is plot specific), Some are huge cities made by the different factions (ratmen and Kobolds and Gorgons) and have side quests for you.(these are DEFINETLY plot specific)  

Extra info for you
The game features quick half second generation of most levels, Hidden doors and many other nice features including different material walls and floors randomly determined by my algorithm, dark and light rooms and Ascii tile graphics, the game will be free to download by the way and will have a tile set choosing option later. The levels are all persistent so you can go up and down floors at will without long annoying loading times.

BTW I am not making it Tile based or ASCII because i'm lazy its just that i like that style, i have made several games (which i never released). I have also done 3d,  I do have an idea for a horror 3D roguelike after i finish this though.Which you can expect me to start instantly when this is done.

Things I have already added

Better objective system added
Made the Magical Atomic compass track more then one objective at a time.

Enchanted items added, and bronze armor.

Werewolves added, talking implemented and being tested, and your compass now tracks the nearest enemy as-well as all your other objectives., quests are heavy in development, but not in game yet
realms have been finally added the gold jewel of the game, one special realm implemented (for testing purpaces)
You can now use a Magical Compasss to tell you the direction of your objective (ALL 8 of them)
I Have successfully added armor to the game, and it works Tongue
I have added a menu screen and skills, rogueishness,perception,smoothness

I Have added monster lairs and Named creatures, the game feels more, exploration-oriented now
Zombie versions of enemies - done
Skeleton versions of enemies - done

the possibility to be flying (enemies and you) it adds a dex bonus of +2 if you or an enemy are flying out of your own power.
Overworld added, with town, guards, villagers, and interactions , and signs and objectives
The entrance to the main dungeon is randomly placed in the over world ( will make the environment around the dungeon entrance change) (since it can be completely special and I need a special thing about the entrance for each dungeon type).

The plot generation ha s been overhauled and will happen in the over world as you find out about what you need to do instead of a long annoying text description at the beginning.
more modifiers will be added later, i plan on adding reactions to the environment etc
i also added a command to look at your modifiers

enemies now have proper AI!
Speed added
Procedurally  Generated Dungeons and Basic Plot Generation
Raycasting for sight
Inventory added, its not complete yet and is being worked on
Randomly Determined Dungeon Depth
Directional Commands
Randomly Determined room types (dark, light, material floor and material wall)
Doors/hidden/not hidden
Explore command throw command Kick Command and Look command and Directional Look command and eating and grabbing and looking at inventory and leveling up gui and aimed atatcks and more uses for kicking, I have also added equipping of items for battle (even rat corpses can be used to bludgen your enemies) and of course unequipping.
Revealing of the Dungeon
Stairs, one can go up and down floors with ease and Levels are persistent
Basic Stats, (Strength/Health/Turn/Dungeon level)
Complex D&D stats
Intelligence,Charisma,Wisdom,Constitution,Dexterity
Screen Size Changed for less awkwardness
UI fixed up and Mobs added so far: Giant Beatles (two differnet kinds) and bats (two different kinds), Giant Rats (3 different kinds), Giant centipedes (3 different kinds), Kobolds (4 different kinds)
plan to add more in the future
Combat system is almost fully implemented, blunt force weapon attacks added
Leveling up of attributes and new enemies have also been added
Food and eating system completely added
new combat system fully implemented, im pretty proud of it :D
zombies and skele versions of enemies added, more relaistic then most if i do say so myself
Gore, blood, wounds, injuries, bleeding also added

Basic side realms.

Things I Have Yet to add (short term)

Adding two side realms to the overworld, if I can, goblin fortress, and necromancer tower

identifying of items (being worked on)

Ghost versions of enemies –POSTPONED TILL MAGIC IS ADDED

Dead players' ghosts/skeletons/zombies.
Animal taming
Many bosses
Potions (different each delve)
More possible Basic Plots
More room Types to make delves more interesting (pillar rooms, armories , Treasure room, etc.)
New enemies and  rooms and biomes( for the overworld)
Attack  Immunities
Enemies I will add soon:
Soul Reeper , a tough, evil creature, that is rare, and appears only under  *dramatic pause*  Certain circumstances
More demon-creatures  (demon possessed flying  food and gold  for example) ( I already have some demon creatures in-game  *evil snicker* )
Some more fodder enemies, like deer
Slimes/slicks/oil style creatures that can squeeze through walls (imagine blood on a wall that is moving then can take creature shape whenever it pleases in a corridor or room)
And many more..

Long Term Goals

Situations such as an item being boobie trapped and causing a room to collapse

More Realm styles
Magical attacks
Music?

I have many more ideas that i don't remember but have typed up right now

Note that I Have an arc release that’s all typed up on what I need to work on.

Things to expect soon(within week):
!Ghost postponed until I add magic attacks!
item identification is being worked on

Things to expect sooner or  later:
New enemies and  rooms and biomes( for the overworld)
Attack  Immunities
Enemies I will add soon:
Soul Reeper , a tough, evil creature, that is rare, and appears only under  *dramatic pause*  Certain circumstances
More demon-creatures  (demon possessed flying  food and gold  for example) ( I already have some demon creatures in-game  *evil snicker* )
Some more fodder enemies, like deer
Slimes/slicks/oil style creatures that can squeeze through walls (imagine blood on a wall that is moving then can take creature shape whenever it pleases in a corridor or room)
And many more..

Added in examples of complex conversations, and a very funny in depth conversation you can have with villagers for now. which can end in them being smited by there god for not cooperating in the conversation well..   :D so much fun Tongue

another Fun Death

the dungeon generator, this is a part of the dungeon deeper underground, just thaught i'd show it off  a bit
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:50:17 PM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

You bash the Rat in the stomach with the banana
///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:03:28 AM »

Right now I cannot think of a name,i thaught RogueLegends, but i think its too basic,the problem is since everything is randomly determined each playthrough is completely different so i need a rightfully generic yet awe inspiring name,any ideas? Beg
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:20:44 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Valmond
Level 0

Permadeath or not permadeath...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 11:28:02 AM »

GML, Geography Markup Language? Grin  No really, what is that?

Most Rogue likes are really random so if yours is even more random I'd say don't get the name from there (just my 2 cents though), any other special specificnesses?

www.imbroglio-online.com My online multiplayer Rogue-like-like and my DevBlog!
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:38:51 PM »

Game Maker Language or whatever it's called
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:28:04 PM »

GML, Geography Markup Language? Grin  No really, what is that?

Most Rogue likes are really random so if yours is even more random I'd say don't get the name from there (just my 2 cents though), any other special specificnesses?
It means Game Maker Language

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »

THESE SCREEESNHOTS ARE OF THE OLD GRAPHICS STYLE AND ARE NO LONGER REPRESENTATIVE OF THE GAME
Here are two Screen Shots , they are 2 parts of the same randomly generated plot (scroll bar at the Bottom)

Here a screenshot of part of the first level of this Dungeon

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:15:45 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »

Here are the two parts of a Different randomly Generated plot

and the second part

and the Dungeon, note the completely different style because its a catacombs.

Its not the best example of a catacombs but i think you get the point.
Note the plots style, later on i will add 3 more plot styles that it will generate off of,
I Plan on adding a forest Style dungeon which is like a forest with caves. I also plan on adding the small chance that if the plot is at night you will get stalked by a terribly powerful monster that is introduced in the plot.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:03:58 PM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »

The amount of the dungeon that is visible to the player is extremely low, and the window size is way too big (unnecessarily)
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 04:43:16 AM »

The amount of the dungeon that is visible to the player is extremely low, and the window size is way too big (unnecessarily)
I suppose i could increase the visible area.Thanks for the feedback  Wink. Plus the game is still in pre pre alpha.I want to go for a dwarf fortress style dungeon exploring system.  Smiley Suggested Size?, by the way the dungeon does not start out explored. Ill post a screen shot of that later since you mentioned it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:18:45 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »

I will probbably update the stats tonight and add D&D style stats.

Helpful article
http://dmingwithcharisma.com/2011/10/dd-stats-in-simple-language/

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »

I Have fixed the screen problem, and am in the process of working on stats and enemies.  Grin

Will add new screenshots later.

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
IzzyReggie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 05:53:54 PM »

What exactly does the generated story change? Does it change names, level layouts, items, etc.? Or does it just set the scene and quickly get ignored?
Any chance of you expanding it where a more in-depth story could be generated? (with multiple interlinked quests, possible "cutscenes" within the dungeon?)

Twitter: @fistpuncher (no relation to the game)
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »

THESE SCREEESNHOTS ARE OF THE OLD GRAPHICS STYLE AND ARE NO LONGER REPRESENTATIVE OF THE GAME

New screenshot of the player with the new stats, the stats don't do much right now but they will have huge effects later on. Strength so far dictates whether you can kick down doors of certain materials and hardness's. And constitution is doubled for your health.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:16:11 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »

What exactly does the generated story change? Does it change names, level layouts, items, etc.? Or does it just set the scene and quickly get ignored?
Any chance of you expanding it where a more in-depth story could be generated? (with multiple interlinked quests, possible "cutscenes" within the dungeon?)
The plot so far dictates the level layout, depth, and the objective, and the Special names (like the item you need to retrieve). later on it will effect the monster spawning and the dungeons specific stats, such as , this dungeon has more magic items and undead enemies. Or its a full moon so you are more likely to be attacked by were wolfs. And yes it definetly can be expanded upon i plan on adding things in the plot that will cause you to be stalked by a super powerful monster, which follows you into the dungeon in the plot.I also plan on adding special plot templates (besides this one) that have even greater effects on the dungeon. Thanks for your interest and Feedback  Grin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:12:09 PM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 08:16:38 AM »

Screenshots fixed, adding bats among other enemies tonight if i have time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 08:24:40 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 06:21:51 PM »

Well, i need to implement a sort of small message history since now i rely on Pop-Up information on the well described things, I will keep pop ups when you look around and do specific actions that need a long description and use the message history for small things (such as "The bat Hits for 2 damage" , "You miss"" should be pretty darn easy.it will be at the top left, after this i will start working on the big enemy things. like enemies attacking and path-finding using A*. Grin fun

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »

Messages Implemented

Where do you roguelike lovers think the messages should go ( i have been pop up messages for complex descriptions up till now), the small messages are for reference for players who don't know whats going on.

This is an example of a pop up that i was already using.

FEED BACK would be appreciated guys
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:16:48 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 06:47:27 AM »

You know I was expecting more people to reply.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 06:55:59 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 07:00:43 AM »

The UI design is very bad in my opinion and there's nothing interesting about your roguelike
The Rookie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »

You know I was expecting more people to reply.

You haven't really told us a lot about your game. And the double posts are kind of annoying IMO. And try not to post so many full screenshots in a single post, some people have slow internet and will cause them to be stuck on a page forever. try links instead. Not trying to be a dick, just my thoughts.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic