Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:46:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMisshoni - Pre-alpha Win / Linux Demo Out
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Misshoni - Pre-alpha Win / Linux Demo Out  (Read 19535 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2012, 12:59:32 PM »

Misshoni will be a short co-op Metroidvania with emphasis on teamwork and getting by with help.

Hey. So, I've paused development on Soldier Of to try to make a game in a month, which is this one, Misshoni. It's kind of a stupid name, but it comes from "Mission", and "Isshoni", which means "together" in Japanese. I started Misshoni a few days ago. It probably won't sell for very much when I'm finished (I'm thinking $2-5). As usual, I'm using the Blender Game Engine for this project.

You will be able to play with a buddy, or go it alone with the CPU controlling P2. While the main gameplay will be the usual combat-oriented Metroidvania, there will be some co-op techniques, like standing on each other to reach higher areas, reviving each other when downed, or pulling each other up ledges. Think something like Cave Story + ICO, but your partner is as capable as you are.

The really tentative plot is that the main characters wake up having been transported to the ruins of a floating city by an unknown force. They have to figure out a way home.

At the end of the month (October), I plan to release it. I might go back to Soldier Of then, unless I'm really close to finishing and monetizing Misshoni. I suppose I'll also be doing this for Ludum Dare's October Challenge, which is to get a game finished and monetized by November 1, or something to that effect - the rules are a bit vague.  I'm starting to doubt that I'll get it 100% finished in a month, but I might be able to get it to a release-able level, anyway.

So anyway, LET'S DO THIS!

-----------HEYHEYHEYWAITWAITWAIT-----------------

The pre-alpha demo for Windows and Linux are available now here.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:14:22 AM by SolarLune » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

Day #4 (Maybe? I'm not sure, but I'm calling it. Day #4)

So yesterday, I coded in where the weapon should sit in the characters' hands, which means that I only have to draw one weapon frame for each weapon (hurrah). Also, working on the background (which is obviously still a WIP), and worked on the tiles since the animated GIF above.

I'm building in support for gamepads from the ground up (as I try to do usually), and I have a gamepad (XInput) similar to a 360 controller now. It's feelin' pretty nice. :D

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

It will be cool to see what you do with more colors, and I like the angle you're taking with co-op.

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »

Looks cool Lune. What source do you plan on using to sell the game?
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »

goooooooood luck!
look forward to playing it.

play hydlide 2
Sam English
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 06:28:02 PM »

Seriously this is looking fantastic. I always like the way you do your character's hair.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:52 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

@Nu-Type - I'm not sure, as I haven't monetized any of my games yet, but I'd guess on my website with a self-pay tool, like BMT Micro or something like that, Desura, and Indievania (if I can).

Better tiles, trees, and weapons implemented.

Also, a song for the game - MisshOn. Get it? Because it's... Mis... Hrm.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »

Shocked Flipping epic.
SolarLune, you're such a baddass person!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

looking good buddy

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »

Thanks, everyone.

@Nu-Type - I'm not sure, as I haven't monetized any of my games yet, but I'd guess on my website with a self-pay tool, like BMT Micro or something like that, Desura, and Indievania (if I can).

Better tiles, trees, and weapons implemented.

Also, a song for the game - MisshOn. Get it? Because it's... Mis... Hrm.

Nice track Lune. Didnt know you could compose your own stuff aswell. Nice skill to have.

By the way, I noticed that the sun's light affects the sprites around it. Are they 3D models or is there some other technical wizardry at work here? I remember hearing from the dudes working on Chroma, they were using hand-drawn normal maps. Are you?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

@Nu-Type - Thanks. Nah, there's no shaders or normal maps or anything. It's just an additive plane with an orange gradient texture over the sun, which is also just a texture on a plane. No 3D objects whatsoever.

- Day 6 -

A few seconds ago I was working on the ruins background. I might try to do something with code next.

EDIT: I'll desaturate it some more when I'm done.

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 05:37:54 AM »

Are you still gonna try to finish this within a month?  Shocked This looks good enough...that I think you need to spend more time on it and expand it. Then sell for >$10.  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right

Can't wait to see the enemies.

Nu-Type
Level 1

Pathfinder

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

@Nu-Type - Thanks. Nah, there's no shaders or normal maps or anything. It's just an additive plane with an orange gradient texture over the sun, which is also just a texture on a plane. No 3D objects whatsoever.

- Day 6 -

A few seconds ago I was working on the ruins background. I might try to do something with code next.

EDIT: I'll desaturate it some more when I'm done.

Oh ok, thats pretty neat!

By the way,I downloaded SunVox and thanks to your tutorials am well on my way on creating my own tracks. And whenever I pick up Blender again, I'll be sure to check out your BGE tutorials aswell.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »

@zede05 - Hah, thanks. I think I would like to spend more time on it, but if I did, then it would just be a large project - I think I just want to try a concentrated burst of a game. As for enemies, I drew this guy a couple of days ago:

And I have a few thoughts for other enemies.

@Nu-Type - Thanks!

The background ruins are still a WIP, but:

Don't fall.

Nimphomaniak
Level 0

:D

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »

SolarLune ,It looks simply amazing! I'll be your slave, just Teach me how you do it. Addicted
Diamonddust
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »

Looking good man, I'm loving all of your projects.

I need to try a sprint game-making session like this, I always bite off more than I can chew... then I get all jazzed about another idea before I finish.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 11:25:52 PM »

Thanks, guys.

Posted this for Screenshot Saturday - the current state of the GUI for Misshoni. I still need to get the HP bar and ammo ticker functional, but I like it compared to the usual style of GUI indicators for 2D games.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 06:04:03 AM »

Well, when I heard that Soldier of development was paused I was like:  Cry
But when I saw Misshoni I was like:
Tears of Joy
And about monetization, I don't care about how much it will cost, just take my  Hand Money Right.

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »

hehe... excellent!  Corny Laugh What about a preview of all planned enemies?

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
Tom Cashman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »

That artwork is awesome! When can you take my money? Tongue

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic