Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:25:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesXCOM, X-COM and X+COM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: XCOM, X-COM and X+COM  (Read 20537 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »

As an aside, the Sniper and Heavy can both fire more than once in a turn if they have the correct perks, and the Assault can fire as many times as he wants on enemies that come within 4 spaces of him.

Support is pretty much boned on multiple attacks but hey he's there to heal/defend not fuck dudes up.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »

Yeah, that's probably one of the bigger differences between X-COM and XCOM.  In X-COM, you tended to have more choice within individual actions (move less to get extra shots, snap shot vs aimed shot, shooting at walls and obstacles to clear a path, ect..) whereas XCOM is more focused on ability progression and making best use of those abilities in combat.  (Note I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that it's a core difference which comes out of the removal of Time Units and the addition of ability trees)

Dragonmaw
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 06:05:38 PM »

Yeah, there's definitely more codified actions and roles for soldiers. I like some things about it (makes individual soldiers more important) and dislike other things (removes some of the wider tactical opportunities).
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »

I hate that roles are random.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »

I love that they removed TUs. Having to calculate TU usage all the time was a huge turn off. And it makes everything a lot smoother.. you'd expect turns early game to take 45s now.

Would enjoy being able to pick roles or just mix them up, though. The extra grenade thing should be available to Assault. The 4 tile area of control should be available to Support. And so on. Something like being able to tag them roles rather than having preset roles would be awesome.

Just lost my second normal ironman game. I did things right tactically this time, the problem was that I started in the wrong continent and ended up struggling with limited resources till mid game.

Also had too many devastating defeats, where I decided not to retreat even when I had obviously lost (having 3 badly wounded + 3 dead on levels full of chrysalids is kinda suicide).

I think I found an overpowered strategy for lots of money, though. The whole money aspect is about finding which countries to suck up to.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2012, 12:52:01 AM »

i definitely miss becoming an arms dealer when the entire world hates you
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 08:04:39 AM »

I took it more as evaluating shots and time units. 
Less:
"Hey I can kill this Muton with two rifle hits, or a rifle hit and a pistol to save ammo."
More:
"Hey I can take 2 steps and a half turn and fire a snap shot, or I can stand still and do an aimed shot."

Ah, I see - yes, it certainly did that.  Although I would argue that is slightly less immersion-breaking in that time is a real-world resource (however abstracted) and so you're still making the same kind of decisions that a soldier would make (probably a lot faster) in real life, while HP is not.  That said, I can't say I'm particularly sad to see the back of time units in the new one - it certainly helps the game flow a lot better.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 04:01:21 AM »

I hate that roles are random.
I like it.
If you think of it as being a dodgy substitute for random rookie stats then yeah, it's annoying. Once you get the OTS upgrade that autopromotes recruits to squaddies that's a bit better.
But what I like is that since the roles are all effective in different ways, and therefore any combination of classes (as long as you have a bit of a mix) can work well for the first half of the game, it means that your tactics layer gameplay is going to vary a bit every time you start a new file. That's cool because it makes each new team a little different as opposed to retreading the early game each time you fuck up on Ironman.

Still it'd be cool if their actual actions had a bit of an effect. Like blowing up dudes with grenades would make them more likely to go heavy; killing enemies at very close range or surviving a couple of reaction shots would add a modifier to their chance of turning assault, etc. Just like you're really training up your own rookiemon!
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 04:15:16 AM »

i'm pretty much 100% sure it's not completely random, though. it seems like the first 4 you get are always one of each role, and the rest tend to be mostly supports, then assaults tied with snipers, and then heavies. which i guess makes sense, since a group of all heavies would be a bit overpowered, but it's still annoying when you lose your only heavy early on and then get 4 supports and 2 snipers as your next recruits.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »

Man, this game has a lot of battles where I end up feeling fucked over.  Soldiers panic way too easily, especially since the squad sizes are so small, one guy dies, and the next thing you know, your team has killed most of itself off.  Soldiers panicking in the first game was effectively tense because it didn't constantly happen, and when it did, you had large enough squads that it didn't completely cripple you.

Also, on the rescue missions, enemies can just jump in wherever they please.  At one point, two thin men decided to jump into flanking positions around the guy I was trying to rescue.  They then went into overwatch, so that as soon as he tries to escape, he's dead.  Not much I could really do about it.

The game does so many things right, but the things it does wrong can get really troublesome.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »

I actually feel like soldiers panicked a LOT more in UFO Defense, mainly because I feel like sectoids having psychic abilities ramped up the mind shit pretty fast.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2012, 08:56:53 PM »

Started a new game to discover that it gave me an army of identical blond female soldiers with mild pompadours, some of whom have male first names.

EDIT:  When I exited and went back into the game, they were all different.  There goes my plan to give each of them a different color costume and have an army of blond clones.  (I mean, I could still do that, but it wouldn't be the same...)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:20:48 PM by Alec S. » Logged

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2012, 08:00:55 AM »

i'm pretty much 100% sure it's not completely random, though. it seems like the first 4 you get are always one of each role, and the rest tend to be mostly supports, then assaults tied with snipers, and then heavies. which i guess makes sense, since a group of all heavies would be a bit overpowered, but it's still annoying when you lose your only heavy early on and then get 4 supports and 2 snipers as your next recruits.

I always end up with 0-1 assaults and maybe 4 heavies. Heavies aren't really that great, they run out of ammo really quickly and aren't even that accurate. Out of the different types, I like them the least.

I'd say snipers are some of the more powerful at harder levels, because they can instakill some of the tougher units and you can use rookies to fish them to a good spot for the snipers to pick off. Plus the snipers get that critical reaction shot perk, which is really nasty combined with the fact that they already have some awesome perks and weapons.

But you do need heavies for the terror missions, because the chrysalids and other Big Monsters come at you hard and fast. And the heavies actually have the perks to soften them up.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »

well the rng is fucked in this game regardless. ironman is pretty much impossible on classic unless you play perfectly.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2012, 05:17:45 PM »

I think you just gotta know what you're doing on the geoscape part (build satellites erryday) to support inevitable combat fuckups later on. I didn't have too much trouble as far as battlescape on classic ironman, but getting off to a bad start is what really hurt me.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:55 PM »

your dudes need to not be worth so much, or they needed to make the critically wounded thing happen every time they ran out of health instead of never. as it is, it's just not worth the frustration of losing your best dudes to some random 20 damage crit from a thin man while your guy was under full cover and smoke.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »

There's an OTS upgrade that makes the chance of the critical thing happening increase with rank.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2012, 09:56:38 PM »

still stupid

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2012, 11:04:53 PM »

your dudes need to not be worth so much, or they needed to make the critically wounded thing happen every time they ran out of health instead of never. as it is, it's just not worth the frustration of losing your best dudes to some random 20 damage crit from a thin man while your guy was under full cover and smoke.

I didn't know you could get 20 damage crits from thin men.

Lol, I just go in with expectations that I'll lose some guys. My strategy is to bundle my squad into pairs or threes, 1-2 pros and one rookie. I keep the rookie in front for scouting and triggering the alien 'on sight' movement. And for taking the heavy fire.
forwardresent
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »

I'd really like to be able to choose classes.

I rename all my characters the same four names but just give them ascending roman numerals. I'm currently in my 4th generation of squad. I'm pretty much screwed and everyone hates me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic