Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:59:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesXCOM, X-COM and X+COM
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: XCOM, X-COM and X+COM  (Read 20767 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »

Yeah, I would say Ironman is the best way to play the game, but not necessarily the best way to learn the game, unless you're okay with a few long games going very poorly.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »

ironman is still more fun for me because i end up getting reloading ocd when im playing without it. im not disciplined enough to use saves sparingly.

see this is what i thought, but it really doesn't work with how they mixed the perks thing with the rng of the old xcom games.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »

ironman is still more fun for me because i end up getting reloading ocd when im playing without it. im not disciplined enough to use saves sparingly.

Yeah, this for me. I just felt guilty about playing it without reloading. I also like the tension of having some real risk involved. I actually like losing a few ironman games in a row..
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »

I beat the game, and for the most part it was a great experience. I did reload a few other times, but mostly after I was killed by Sectopods and their dual-move gimmicks.

I think the key to playing on Ironman is not to put all your eggs in one basket. Putting all your highly-trained troops on a mission is a ticket to disaster - if the mission wipes, you will have only lost one or two important characters if the rest are back at base. That, and SHIVs come in really handy.

antoniodamala
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2012, 07:43:50 AM »

i've played 5 half campaigns in iron mode before giving up on xcom. It is a great game but sometimes the luck effect is too much important, and that really turns me off. So i decided to stay away from that game for a time.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2012, 02:43:08 PM »

What in normal mode? The computer actually cheats away some of that luck to help you in Normal. (like if you're missing several times in a row, the next roll will have a higher chance of hitting.. or if you've got a guy getting hit a lot, the computer will make the less attack less likely to hit)
antoniodamala
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2012, 06:04:56 AM »

I don't think that would be enough. I've actually played a bit on normal and it felt without challenge, then i went to classic and it felt too randomly brutal. I think the combat would improve much more if it was like Frozen Synapse. I dunno, maybe the problem here is more of personal taste, rather of the actual game.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2013, 06:56:54 AM »

are we excited?

Each soldier will have new upgrade slots, for brain, skin, chest, legs and eyes, with an array of genetic additions to enhance them – transhumanist boosts and tweaks, such as health regen and blocks against enemy psi attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCSoqdOZ0-M&feature=youtu.be

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-is-an-expansion-out-15th-november/

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »

oh, great, now when some alien hiding in the shadows pops out and one shots your full health marine from half way across the map, it'll be that much more frustrating

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2013, 07:48:33 AM »

are we excited?

Oh, yes.

Evil

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:39 AM »

oh, great, now when some alien hiding in the shadows pops out and one shots your full health marine from half way across the map, it'll be that much more frustrating

Is that what being bad at strategy games is like?  Sad

Seriously though did they ever patch the famously broken "spawn every single enemy from the mission on the same square as your soldier" bug?

I got through an ironman game with that shit only happening once (and us somehow surviving -- it was after my troops got leveled, but before the game got hard again) but it scared me away from trying again.

antoniodamala
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »

Is that what being bad at strategy games is like?  Sad

lol strategy
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2013, 08:01:13 AM »

Seriously though did they ever patch the famously broken "spawn every single enemy from the mission on the same square as your soldier" bug?

Nope. And that bug is actually the result of them trying to fix the original teleporting aliens bug.

lol strategy

Huh?

Laserbrain Studios
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »

do you just not level your units because the hardest i've ever been hit was like. half health
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2013, 08:24:15 AM »

also i think the 'lol strategy' comment is just referring to the fact that if you stick with one team long enough you're basically unkillable
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »

and also: every other game with progression.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »

basically, what im saying, is that, this game is bad?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2013, 08:42:24 AM »

No, you see, it's actually really, really good.

That is of course an entirely objective assessment based on an employment of a multitude of methods to measure the de facto goodness of the game.

Laserbrain Studios
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2013, 09:37:38 AM »

us technicians call it The GOodness Factor (g factor for short)
forwardresent
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »

I played so much of this when it came out, but I got tired of it way faster than the originals. This might be enough to bring me back for a little bit or at least tide me over until Xenonauts is complete. I like Xenonauts more, it's more like UFO Defence.

My last ironman run ended with some impossible thin man magic. You learn to always keep a rookie about for scouting ahead/cannon fodder on ironman, but the squad size limitation is bad and the base number limitation is bad. The whole alien free move thing really annoyed me too, it kind of lacked the whole fear of the unknown the originals had.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic