Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998494 Posts in 39161 Topics- by 30572 Members - Latest Member: tapmybuttons

April 19, 2014, 02:05:53 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesXCOM: Enemy Unknown
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown  (Read 6411 times)
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2012, 03:12:10 AM »

Because no one ever gets mad at video games, right? Tell me more, master of cool Noir

I had basically assumed Ironman was like Fire Emblem, where you could repeat a mission if you were routed, but you couldn't save or load during a mission. That's the mode I would LIKE to play on, it made me far more frustrated than I ever got in Dark Souls when my carefully protected team was routed by a swarm of grenade-throwing enemies.

The core gameplay is great, but the cheapness the game throws at you makes Ironman needlessly frustrating. I had soldiers missing on 99% hit chance and enemies shooting snipers from across the map with aimbot-like accuracy. That's not to say anything of the spontaneously combusting automobiles and lack of cover in certain chokepoints.

Dragonmaw
Global Moderator
Level 10

Notorious D.R.G.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2012, 05:33:03 AM »

The game outright tells you what Ironman mode does.

Pay attention?Huh?

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.

-Snoop Dogg
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »

XCOM is fairly unique in modern long-form games in that you shouldn't expect to win your first game.  Most games have a mentality of making the game where you can't lose the game as a whole, just the individual missions.  This is not one of those games.  You're going to lose a few games before you win.  Most of the things that seem like bullshit that comes out of nowhere can actually be planned against with careful tactics which you learn over the course of a few games.

This is the whole point of Ironman mode.  XCOM on Ironman mode is a game that you can lose, and which you can't trial-and-error your way through.  It's like playing Chess and complaining that you can't take back your move after the other player captures your piece.

Because no one ever gets mad at video games, right? Tell me more, master of cool Noir
I had soldiers missing on 99% hit chance and enemies shooting snipers from across the map with aimbot-like accuracy.
A high probability of a hit still means there's a chance of a miss.  If you play recklessly to get a high-percentage hit, there's still a chance you'll miss and pay for, say running out of cover right next to your target

That's not to say anything of the spontaneously combusting automobiles
They aren't.  When a car is hit, it will catch fire.  If your guy is in cover behind it, he'll say something like "this thing is going to blow".  This means the car will explode on the next turn.  You can also use this to your advantage (say two enemies are hiding behind a car, you can throw a grenade to deal 3 damage to each enemy and cause the car to explode the next turn, dealing extra damage and [if they're still alive] destroying their cover)

and lack of cover in certain chokepoints.
Then avoid those chokepoints.  Dash past them or hold back and draw the enemies closer.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2012, 04:46:32 PM »

I started the game again without Ironman, and I'm loving it. Though I wouldn't have gotten through on Ironman, since I got wiped about 3 times... two in UFO missions, and once in the Alien Base before I beat it. I'm not saving during the missions, though, only using the autosaves afterwards.

TBH I only died once from an exploding car, after learning how to play better (e.g. making sure you are within line-of-sight) I had less trouble with cover.

I started in Ironman because I heard everywhere that it was the "real" way to play, but for your first playthrough I don't think it's a good idea.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:52:01 PM by SundownKid » Logged

C.A. Sinner
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »

ironman is still more fun for me because i end up getting reloading ocd when im playing without it. im not disciplined enough to use saves sparingly.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »

Yeah, I would say Ironman is the best way to play the game, but not necessarily the best way to learn the game, unless you're okay with a few long games going very poorly.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

yes, i'm a duck

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »

ironman is still more fun for me because i end up getting reloading ocd when im playing without it. im not disciplined enough to use saves sparingly.

see this is what i thought, but it really doesn't work with how they mixed the perks thing with the rng of the old xcom games.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Noir Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »

Yeah, this for me. I just felt guilty about playing it without reloading. I also like the tension of having some real risk involved. I actually like losing a few ironman games in a row..
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »

I beat the game, and for the most part it was a great experience. I did reload a few other times, but mostly after I was killed by Sectopods and their dual-move gimmicks.

I think the key to playing on Ironman is not to put all your eggs in one basket. Putting all your highly-trained troops on a mission is a ticket to disaster - if the mission wipes, you will have only lost one or two important characters if the rest are back at base. That, and SHIVs come in really handy.

antoniodamala
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2012, 07:43:50 AM »

i've played 5 half campaigns in iron mode before giving up on xcom. It is a great game but sometimes the luck effect is too much important, and that really turns me off. So i decided to stay away from that game for a time.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2012, 02:43:08 PM »

What in normal mode? The computer actually cheats away some of that luck to help you in Normal. (like if you're missing several times in a row, the next roll will have a higher chance of hitting.. or if you've got a guy getting hit a lot, the computer will make the less attack less likely to hit)
antoniodamala
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2012, 06:04:56 AM »

I don't think that would be enough. I've actually played a bit on normal and it felt without challenge, then i went to classic and it felt too randomly brutal. I think the combat would improve much more if it was like Frozen Synapse. I dunno, maybe the problem here is more of personal taste, rather of the actual game.
Catguy
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2013, 06:56:54 AM »

are we excited?

Each soldier will have new upgrade slots, for brain, skin, chest, legs and eyes, with an array of genetic additions to enhance them transhumanist boosts and tweaks, such as health regen and blocks against enemy psi attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCSoqdOZ0-M&feature=youtu.be

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/21/xcom-enemy-within-is-an-expansion-out-15th-november/

-------------------------------
You can hire me!
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

yes, i'm a duck

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:46 AM »

oh, great, now when some alien hiding in the shadows pops out and one shots your full health marine from half way across the map, it'll be that much more frustrating

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Noir Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2013, 07:48:33 AM »

are we excited?

Oh, yes.

Evil

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hostile Takeover (TIGSource DevLog)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic