Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:38:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTD game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TD game.  (Read 5106 times)
Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:31 AM »

Game:
TD game with classic style: top view, road, enemies and player, who can place “towers” to defend his base. But game has few features, which will make this game unique.

Enemies can kill your “towers”.
What if enemies can shoot back at you? I know this is done in few TD games, and this opens some new tactics, like smart placement of your towers, or adds to the game new towers like “healers”. Also we can give some abilities to enemies:  stun, poison or thorns (when towers take damage with each hit).

Random enemies.
I played a lot of TD games, and I really rarely check “last wave” info. Some games don’t even have that information at all. I also decided not to make this info, and even more – I made fully random waves. Player needs to react fast, to deal with new random enemy. Also this adds more replayability, because each time you have to deal with new enemies.

More “towers”.
Because enemy has so much abilities now (he can shoot, stun, become invisible, he can be armored or have thorn – in total around 20 abilities), why not to give same abilities to “towers”? Imagine invisible tower, or even tower that can reborn, or become faster (shoot rate) with each hit it gets? And this brings to major feature:

Enemies = your “towers”.
Because enemy and “towers” now have same abilities, why even to have “buy new tower” button? We can just take some enemy, and place him on the map as your own tower! And this is how it works:
At the beginning of the level, you have nothing to buy or place on the map. But when first monsters appears, you can capture strongest one, and place back on the map as your own – now he is your “tower”, that will kill rest monsters on the map. This brings a lot of new action and strategy to the game, because you don’t even know what tower you will get (monsters are random), you don’t know when to capture (capture this one, or wait and get some better monster to capture?), you need to develop new strategies (can you kill this armored monster, or you should capture him instead?) and so on.

Inventory:
You get new random item after each map, and each item has some ability, that can significantly change your gameplay. Player can experiment with each item, and get some fun changes in the gameplay.

Replayability.
Each play through player will get random enemies and therefore random towers to defend himself. So, you need to develop new tactics all the time, to beat same level. Also items will help player to get new experience with each play.

Story.
Story is simple: monsters invade your town, and brave mage with his powerful spell “mind control” capture monsters and force them to kill other monsters. The end)

Screenshot:

To do: Last update: 06.11.2012
  • Balance (30% done)
  • Art (60% done)
  • Sound/Music.
  • Interface (20% done)

Sorry for bad English)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:23:52 PM by Patomkin » Logged

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 06:30:53 AM »

We are working towards demo version, but right now I want to post small update:

How you get "towers" (gif) :

Player can capture any unit, and place it on the field as his own tower.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:36:51 AM by Patomkin » Logged

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 09:30:48 AM »

Seems like an interesting take on the tower defense genre.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:07:09 AM »

Seems like an interesting take on the tower defense genre.
Thanks.
And with combination that your “towers” (captured units) can actually die, you get a lot more action and strategy. At least I am trying to do so)

Update:
• Inventory UI is added to the game.
• Game can now randomly generate new items.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:29:25 AM by Patomkin » Logged

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 07:37:40 AM »

I lost my designer, and now all art I am doing by myself. So, feel free to give me advises) Also you can help me with color for this “info box” on the screenshot) I really don’t know what color it should be…

Update:
• Added a lot more information about the game in the first post. So, check it out)
• All game design is changed, because I can’t really copy art of my old designer. How you like this one?)

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 05:44:42 AM »

I am looking for composer.

Update:
• Added one more unit
• Player is now also presenting on the map
• New UI elements are added

Screenshots:

Inventory UI.

TertiumQuid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 06:29:26 AM »

The capturing idea sounds like a fairly inspired mechanic, and I'm curious to see how you develop it.

Cliffski's blog had a nice pithy post about TD recently that you've probably already seen:

http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2012/10/18/tower-defense-game-design/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cliffski+%28Cliffski%27s+Blog%29

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »

The capturing idea sounds like a fairly inspired mechanic, and I'm curious to see how you develop it.

Cliffski's blog had a nice pithy post about TD recently that you've probably already seen:

Thx!

Never saw this before, but I can tell you that I am totally agree with him. Developer “need to question every aspect of” the game, and this is what I am doing in my game – trying to develop new mechanics as much as I can, so game doesn’t look like a clone)
But yeah, I know, graphical part is making my game exactly like a “clone”))

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 05:34:15 AM »

I don’t even remember all changes I done in the game, but here are some:

Update:
• Game has two modes now: Story mode and Challenge mode.
• Added second map.
• First two maps are playable in Story mode.

And:
• A lot of bugs are fixed.
• Added small changes to UI (tooltip on each button, some animation, and so on)
• Optimized some code.

I added “Story mode” because there is a lot of new mechanics in the game, and player need some time to get used to them, but after he can play as much as he wants in fully randomized “Challenge mode” with a lot of hard stuff and bosses.

Screenshots:
Second map.

First map with some changes.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:37:27 AM by Patomkin » Logged

SpaceFish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 06:15:30 AM »

Hey man im really surprised to see how this game looks now!
It looks really good and I'm sure it's gonna be awesome!
I never thought of doing it like that ^^
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:09:20 AM »

I love what I see so far. Art style is unique. I know you said demo soon, but do you have an approximate date?

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:41:39 AM »

Interesting concept and nice art. Keep it up!

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »

Thank you for comments!
But I am still waiting for music and sounds from composer, so can't give you any dates. But right now I am working on tutorial! This should be good sign that demo is soon, right?)

I never thought of doing it like that ^^
Maybe you have some suggestions how can I improve UI or graphics? Beg

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »

I am still waiting for music, but meanwhile:

Update:
• Two first maps are done! (With tutorials and right balance)
• Added 2 new units.
• Mage can now speak and provide some tips.

Screenshot:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:37:49 AM by Patomkin » Logged

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »

Tomorrow I should start getting some music, but for now:

Update:
• New map and new unit added.
• Third map is playable, but no tutorial for now.
• New icons and some UI changes.

Screenshot:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:38:09 AM by Patomkin » Logged

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 07:21:23 AM »

Oh, last update was 10 days ago? That is bad. But I worked on the game for whole week, so I have a lot of new stuff. I just forgot to update forum Embarrassed

Update:
• I have new composer! Beer!
• Added new map.
• Added new unit.
• Added effects for healing, explosions, freeze effects and so on.
• UI is changed once again.

And few days ago I realized that I have some major problems with game design:
In this game enemy can kill your towers, and this force player to put all of his towers in one spot, so they can kill enemy in 1 shot, and get minimum damage. And this is a problem, what I am trying to fix for last few days. Here are my solutions:
• Reduce units range. Now player can put his towers only next to the road, what means no more towers in 1 spot – towers will be spread along the road. Cons:  Some towers can lose synergy with other towers, for example – freeze tower will freeze unit, but no one can actually reach it for attack.
• Put more objects on the map, so player could not find spot for all his towers. Cons: less choice for player.
• Buff healers, so they can easily heal through any damage, and save your tower. Cons: because enemy will have same healer, it will be hard to kill him. Or, player will still put all units in 1 spot with 1 healer, which will be enough to win.

Maybe someone knows TD games with same game design (player towers can be killed)?

Screenshot:
New map.

Ticebilla
Level 0

Do Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 02:52:11 PM »

I really like the art style! It's great.

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »

Just to keep forum clean - Game is Done. Topic can be moved where it belongs Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic