Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 02:11:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTumbledrop - now complete and playable!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Tumbledrop - now complete and playable!  (Read 44900 times)
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2008, 02:10:28 AM »

( EDIT: This is done now! See HERE, or play the game at www.tumbledrop.com )

Here is a very basic beta of Tumbledrop, the browser based game I'm making for the UA2008 competition.

It's just one level, and has some bugs at this stage.  The goal is to get the pink star down on to the island without dropping it in the sea.  I'm working on improving the graphics and fixing the gameplay input... and a load of other things. I hope to release another version in a week or so, but we'll see how things go.

Here is the webplayer:
http://deadpanda.com/lj/tumbledrop/tumbledropbeta.html
(You'll need the Unity browser plugin to play it, Mac + Windows only)

I'm also keeping a development diary of the game:
http://dock.livejournal.com/tag/tumbledrop

Someone put up a youtube video of the game here:

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:54:05 PM by dock » Logged

twitter: @docky
Renton
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 02:22:24 AM »

Adorable game Smiley
Very fun to play as well.
increpare
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:44:19 AM »

Very fun indeed.  Intuitive, and not too frustrating.  A key/button to directly reset the level and avoid some of the more excruciating death sequences might be nice.  Also: more levels please!  The sleeping/not-sleeping mechanism is pretty nice.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:54:28 AM by increpare » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 03:59:33 AM »

You were talking about this in IRC, and I was very intrigued!  The game played out exactly how I thought it would, which is a very good thing.  Top notch work!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 05:32:07 AM »

Right now I'm considering something to highlight the lowest number of moves possible This level can be achieved in 2 moves, for example..

Dragonmaw, yeah this is the game I was mentioning on IRC. ^_^

Increpare.  Thank-you! Enter button resets the level right now, which I'll probably move to GUI at some point.

Renton - glad you find it adorable! I'm working hard on animation/expressions for the shapes.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:51:02 AM »

oooh this is really cool i cant wait until you have more levels... something like this would be perfect for iphone haha.  great idea and graphics!
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:17:54 AM »

oooh this is really cool i cant wait until you have more levels... something like this would be perfect for iphone haha.  great idea and graphics!
Thanks Annabelle!  Yeah, I'll be sure to post up when I have more levels... it should be in a couple of weeks at the latest. ^_^

Would looove to make it into an iphone game, but that's some way off, haha.

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »

this is too adorable and i cant wait to see it finished.
Bod
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »

I love it. The graphics are very cute; I like cute graphics. They hit the spot so to speak. This'll be great to see completed.

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 03:16:11 PM »

I really enjoyed this game.  I was actually a little sad that there was only one level.  I was unsure why I couldn't click on different items until I realized that there was a timer between clicks.

Hope to see more!

I had to use 8 moves.   Embarrassed
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 03:49:10 PM »

Genius idea. Also, I would like to commend you for your work on LostWinds, which I loved.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 11:36:15 PM »

Excruciatingly Cute. I love! Conceptually. Can't wait for the full (or larger) thing!
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 03:47:17 AM »

As with everyone else, I love the aesthetic. The gameplay is simple and intuitive, too! Looking forward to seeing more levels.

I have no idea how to complete this level in just two clicks, though..

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 03:52:24 AM »

Yeah this was pretty cool.

Too bad the Unity plugin crashes in Chrome though :D

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2008, 04:23:26 AM »

Too bad the Unity plugin crashes in Chrome though :D
Oh really? Last time I checked unity in Chrome it worked, but didn't register mouse position.... and was therefore useless for my game, haha! XD  I'm sure they'll sort that out when chrome is out of beta.

Synnah, it's all in the timing of the second click... ^_~

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »

Synnah, it's all in the timing of the second click... ^_~

Ahhh, I've just about got it, but I can't quite get the timing right, and I can only do it in 3 moves! I really like the potential for a 'Challenge' mode, where the object is to complete a level in a limited number of moves. Much in in Portal's challenges!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »

Hey this is grand!  Obviously it is still very early in dev, but some things that I think would help (and which may be planned already):

1 - I am impatient and wanted to be able to click much faster than you let me.  I understand that I shouldn't be able to click everything out of the way, so maybe the pieces can move more quickly?

2 - Would love to see the clouds move, and for the water movement to be less...weird.    Love the chunky water blocks though!!

3 - Lost Winds was awesome but the final boss bugs out to be unbeatable at least 50% of the time Tongue  that is neither here nor there...

4 - It would be really swell on iPhone, I agree.  Let me know if you want to find out more about iPhone dev!  I have the #9 app on the phone right now  Shocked

IN SUMMARY - swell work, wish it was faster and had like 500 levels.   Kiss

EDIT!!

5 - Tumbledrop is a flippin great name.

cup full of magic charisma
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »

Kudos! I'm looking forward to a version with more levels! In a completed game, would this level be found near the beginning, middle, or end? Once I had an idea of what I was doing, it was fairly simple to solve.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 01:38:13 AM »

I am impatient and wanted to be able to click much faster than you let me.  I understand that I shouldn't be able to click everything out of the way, so maybe the pieces can move more quickly?
I've been playing around with speeding up the game a leeetle bit, but not too much to be honest. I'm not sure how I can deal with impatience like that, when the game is so short. ^_~  I do, however, need to improve the countdown timer to be more obvious, and I have some ideas of how to make it allow faster clicks when things don't move much.

As for water and clouds... yep, those are on the cards. Water should loop properly, instead of starting and stopping weirdly, and clouds are coming. ^^

Kudos! I'm looking forward to a version with more levels! In a completed game, would this level be found near the beginning, middle, or end? Once I had an idea of what I was doing, it was fairly simple to solve.
I was thinking of making this level very early, such as level 2 or 3 at the latest. The first level would be super basic, maybe even impossible to fail... a stack of three wide blocks or something like that, to communicate the premise of the game.  I know it's a little patronising, but it doesn't take long to complete. What do you think?

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 02:14:01 AM »

Oh, that's what I was thinking, don't worry. I did think this level was too hard for a first level, but as soon as the player has any idea of what he's doing, he'll be able to handle levels like this. That's my thought, at least. Nobody really minds tutorial levels, although if you really do feel "patronizing", you could allow people to skip the first level.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic