Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:58:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrimson Vice
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crimson Vice  (Read 4289 times)
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:29:45 AM »

Description:

Crimson Vice is a 2D top-down shooter/adventure game.  You play in an open-world where a militia known as the Crimson Vice rules over everyone and everything.  You'll have a huge variety of weapons and equipment to assist you in your task of bringing freedom back to the world.

Other Info:

The game is in very early stages, but I'll be posting screenshots and other updates for your enjoyment, as well as a sort of "catalog" of my own to look back on whenever I'd like to.

I'll be working on everything myself, from graphics, to music, to programming.

Media:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:37:17 AM by Forstride » Logged

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:57:06 AM »

...Was honestly expecting something about a sci-fi western on a spaceship but oh well.
Sound neat so far.

Velvety
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:15:56 AM »

Definitely looks interesting!  I like the visuals and scenery so far, and the idea of exploring such locations.

The idea of little or no "bad guys" is interesting too.  But I wonder how the environmental puzzles/obstacles will work?  It sounds like that will be the main gameplay mechanic so I'm curious how deep or repetitive it might get?  Is there a main story or goal?  

Look forward to seeing more! Smiley

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:05:50 AM »

...Was honestly expecting something about a sci-fi western on a spaceship but oh well. Sound neat so far.

And I was expecting a puzzle game with abstract art... But I have to agree: sound neat! 

The idea of little or no "bad guys" is interesting too. But I wonder how the environmental puzzles/obstacles will work? It sounds like that will be the main gameplay mechanic so I'm curious how deep or repetitive it might get? Is there a main story or goal?

After he said I started to wonder that too... What kind of obstacles would be? And how you could overcome they?

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:02:52 PM »

Updated the opening post with a new screenshot of the Forest, as well as some more info about the obstacles.

The obstacles will often be puzzle-like, such as jumping puzzles, having to flood a room to a certain height, etc.  Sometimes, however, it'll just be something simple that you have to get past, like a beehive/swarm of bees, or a pit in the ground.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:05:31 PM »

Updated the screenshots of the splash screen and forest area.

Oak trees have random alternate sprites now, making forests look a lot prettier.  I've also added a tall grass that has random alternate sprites, as you can see with it bordering the pond.

I've also added some obstacles, one of which is a turret sentry.  It emits a laser sight, and if you come in contact with it, it'll shoot at you.

EDIT:  Here's a preview of the small test area I've made:

As you can see, I've added the HUD, which displays how much health you have, what weapon you currently have, and how much ammo it has.

I'm using the Voltaic Burst weapon in the screenshot, which is a magical weapon that shoots a small shot of electricity and then creates static outward when it goes a certain distance from the player.  There will be different types of weapons, such as guns, magic, etc.

The pad thing with fire coming out of it is a weapon deposit.  If you walk over it, you get whatever weapon it represents, in this case, the Flame Stream, which shoots a steady stream of fire.

And of course, the turrets can be seen guarding the weapon deposit.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:16:53 AM by Forstride » Logged

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »

Kiss
Keeping my eye on this, so far it looks very promising!
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 09:09:25 PM »

Tweaked the HUD and cursor a bit:

The weapon monitor (The teal-screen thing at the bottom) now looks more like a monitor, and the scanlines move now.  The cursor doesn't have the ring around it anymore, and has a red dot in the center.

I've also added a vignette overlay to make the game look a bit nicer.  Gonna start adding more weapons now, and get the rest of the base engine finished.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:31:40 AM »

Tweaked the HUD and cursor a bit:

The weapon monitor (The teal-screen thing at the bottom) now looks more like a monitor, and the scanlines move now.  The cursor doesn't have the ring around it anymore, and has a red dot in the center.

I've also added a vignette overlay to make the game look a bit nicer.  Gonna start adding more weapons now, and get the rest of the base engine finished.

Very neat improv! I like it!

Hey,just one question: what are you using to make this game?

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 06:00:44 AM »

Hey,just one question: what are you using to make this game?

Game Maker 8.1 Standard.  I'm not really a programmer, but I've been using Game Maker to bring my ideas to life since 2003.  Tongue

It gets the job done though, so I'm not complaining.

Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 07:06:40 AM »

I love the pond and the graphics in general, but I am not real wild about that bird's-eye view of the character.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 10:31:48 PM »

@Forstride - This looks cool. I like the style you've got going and the colors. The particles could be a little more sharply defined (the fire kind of just looks like sparkles), but it's looking pretty good so far.

@Sharkoss - That's the drawback of straight overhead perspective - nearly all cool objects and characters are reduced in shape.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 10:38:45 PM »

...Was honestly expecting something about a sci-fi western on a spaceship but oh well. Sound neat so far.

And I was expecting a puzzle game with abstract art... But I have to agree: sound neat! 

Woooooooooooooooooosh

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 04:53:28 AM »

I love the pond and the graphics in general, but I am not real wild about that bird's-eye view of the character.
The character sprite isn't final for now.  I might separate the legs, body, arms, and head, so they don't rotate all together, to give more of a "real" feel to it.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 04:49:21 AM »

I've changed the name of the game to Crimson Vice.  The Crimson Vice is a militia that pretty much controls the entire world in the game.  They are planning to harvest energy from the sun, which in turn, might have negative effects on the planet the game takes place on.

You play as a former Crimson Vice soldier, who is being held in a Floating Prison, and must escape to stop their plans.

The game will be an action shooter for the most part, but will also have puzzle, stealth, and adventure aspects to it.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 04:31:12 AM »

Got a nice title screen done:

The cut-off tabs in the bottom right are for Twitter and Facebook links.  When you mouse-over them, they pop up, and you can click them to go to my Twitter/Facebook page(s).

Onslaught is a game mode similar to Zombies from Call of Duty, Horde from Gears of War, etc.  You'll fight against waves of Crimson Vice soldiers, and other enemies, while purchasing items with money earned by killing enemies, and racking up a highscore.

I've also added an assault rifle, shotgun, and rocket launcher.  Weapons also have kick and pushback.  When you use the rocket launcher, you get pushed back a bit.  Kick just gives the player a slight offset with aiming.

Other minor changes include the minimap now being "relative" to the player, in that the player is always in the center of the mini map, and objects/creatures of interest are displayed relative to the player's dot in the center of it.

I'm getting close to releasing the first demo, which will probably just be a small test thing where you can interact with the current weapons, enemies, and other objects.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 09:16:00 AM »

New screenshot showing off the WIP Onslaught mode:

The map I'm on is called Jailbreak, and takes place on a "floating prison" (Basically a spaceship that acts as a prison for extremely dangerous criminals).  It's still a WIP level of course, but it's the smallest one in Onslaught.

In Onslaught mode, you earn money by killing enemies, and can then use that money to purchase weapons, unlock doors, buy other items, etc.  It's basically like Zombies from Call of Duty, but without zombies.

You can also earn power ups that drop from enemies, such as Double Cash (Which gives you more money for each kill), Instant Kill (Does what the name suggests), and more.  Power ups last for a limited amount of time, and don't appear that often.

I've also added a pause menu, "fake" loading screen that displays tips for the game (Game Maker doesn't need or really have any loading screens, but I figured I'd create one to make it feel more like an actual game), and added two new weapons:

- Pistol, which you start out with in Onslaught
 - B.A.N.D.I.T, which stands for Bad Ass Nitrogen Dioxide Immobilizing Torpedo.  It launches a torpedo that releases Nitrogen Dioxide, which attracts enemies to the torpedo, and then explodes after a certain amount of time.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »

Hmm, I'm really liking the art in this. It's a little rough around the edges in some areas, but the pixels stand out nicely in others.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »

The GUI is looking pretty cool.
Onslaught mode sounds like a great idead to expand the game's lifetime.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic