Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:05:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFancy Skulls - On Steam!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Fancy Skulls - On Steam!  (Read 31468 times)
tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »

- added a new enemy
- fixed some bugs
- improved AI for red enemy (I call him Rudolph)

Now working on weapon models and environment

hopefully will make gameplay video soon, and after that possibly will start making video devlogs and playtesting
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:25:48 PM by tequibo » Logged

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »

- improved AI for red enemy (I call him Rudolph)
Haha.

Anyways the revolver is looking really cool. Same with the rest of the game.

Good luck!

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 05:39:26 PM »

Much appreciated!

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 11:06:16 PM »

I love the character designs - very stylish and quirky. The central premise of a creature escaping from a treasury of which it is a part is really cool too. I imagine it could lead to a really interesting endgame.

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »

Thanks!
Recently I have come up with more story as to who is owner of this threasury/collection and who is the protagonist, and I quite like it. But not going to spoil it. I want to tell story via environment, but not sure how to approach this yet.

Working on a shotgun:

Also I've got a board on Pinterest where I collect some reference and inspiration material, and now it has a lots of cool looking old guns.

In other news there is two activly developing "FPS roguelike" projects that I am aware of - one is right here on TIG Paranautical Activity, and other is Spire by studio that made Dustforce. And while I'm interested and fascinated to see what they will make, at the same time it worries me in a way "what if my game will be terrible in comparison". But, I think that I just should give it my best, and not worry about such nonsense. Worrying is pointless anyway.

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »

All 5 weapons

Now to finish those up, import them, and move on to environment and mechanics.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 04:18:37 PM by tequibo » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 11:42:02 AM »

Revolver is way too black and is that a megaphone?
pxl
Level 0

@pixelforge

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »

The revolver and shotgun look awesome!  Gentleman

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »

The revolver and shotgun look awesome!  Gentleman
Thanks!

It's not final, will work on it some more.
It's a grenade launcher, but it does look like a megaphone, I have noticed this, will think what to do about it.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »

Try to make it like this or this

TF2 items can be great references for weapon models!
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »

I concur with both of these sentiments. The contrast on the revolver, in specific, makes everything but the hilt difficult to discern.

I do like the cannon weapon a lot though.

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 02:22:33 PM »

Try to make it like this or this

TF2 items can be great references for weapon models!

Yeah, I do look at TF2 weapons from time to time:) I want to keep basic simple shape, as I want to make weapons look as different distinguish as possible, but yes, id does require some more work, to make it less megaphony.

I concur with both of these sentiments. The contrast on the revolver, in specific, makes everything but the hilt difficult to discern.

I do like the cannon weapon a lot though.

Actually working with textures and lighting and how it will look in game is just ahead. And it's complicated for me. Yeah, on this picture it does look a bit rubbish.

Thanks for feedback!

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 03:00:01 AM »

Weapons look great, except for the grenade launcher. Would be cool if all the weapons used the same 4-5 colors. How do you get that shading, do you UVmap then just apply different colors to the faces, is lighting baked in?

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »

Weapons look great, except for the grenade launcher. Would be cool if all the weapons used the same 4-5 colors. How do you get that shading, do you UVmap then just apply different colors to the faces, is lighting baked in?

Thanks, man!
Here is a another iteration on grenade launcher:

Still not quite there.

As for textures - models are still in blender, I just assigned different materials there, by selecting faces and pressing assign in material tab - you can assign multiple materials to one mesh.
But unfortunately when model is imported in Unity materials all messed up, assigned to wrong faces, so it's only good for quick preview in blender, it seems. My guess that problem begins where there is adjacent faces have different materials assigned to them.

So, yeah, I am going to make UV unwrap and make a texture. I have already did this with previous versions of weapons, best way is to have texture where 1 color is 1 pixel, and just shrink uv island to that pixel.

But here I will just make normal sized UV map, I may try to add some detail via texture, or, indeed, bake AO? Or even paint texture? Probably not though, will it simple.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:34:48 PM by tequibo » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 09:14:14 PM »

what about making that darker part a hexagon?
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »

another RLFPS is this one on mapcore.

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 03:12:55 PM »

I was thinking about it, but I kind of like it square.

another RLFPS is this one on mapcore.

I think I have seen some time ago, then lost the link. Thanks for sharing!

And re: material assignment in blender - it does seems that if you assign material to vertices  that are split off (select desired faces, hit "y", then assign material, it will import in unity fine. So you will be able to change materials there, select shaders and whatnot. It SEEMS fine, though I did not tested it for long.

EDIT: nevermind about splitting off vertices, actually that seems to have been a problem in a first place - in one mesh I had detached piece, a barrel in a shotgun model, and in was inside other part, so it got a bit messed up. Z-sorting problem. So I cleaned it up, and it's fine now.
Hmmmm...
Ok, I dont know what was the cause. I just remodeled problematic part.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:49:59 PM by tequibo » Logged

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »

What about moving that darker part back, and extend the gray tube through it, so it's like a chamber for the grenades, much like the revolver, or the TF2 grenade launcher?

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 02:52:09 PM »

Today I have spend struggling with super wicked blender/unity quirk - weapon model normals were flipped in unity when there is armature applied to it. No matter if by parenting, or by modifier. No matter, how many bones it have(i have found on google that this happens when there is one bone in armature). So, setting Root Bone to None in skinned mesh rendered solved it. At least for now. Have no idea what caused it, old models worked fine, and when I created test model in a same fashion it worked too.

What about moving that darker part back, and extend the gray tube through it, so it's like a chamber for the grenades, much like the revolver, or the TF2 grenade launcher?

Hmm, will think about it when I get back to modeling grenade launcher. Might try this, or maybe just rotating that part.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:08:26 PM by tequibo » Logged

tequibo
Level 1

smoke and mirrors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »

So, I have made some progress and plan to make and release video due to end of march, and then probably start playtests.
Here is friendly little guy:

I love friendly sentry guns/battle pets in games, so, yeah.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic