Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411197 Posts in 69315 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 03:48:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSix Sided Sanctuary Devlog
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Six Sided Sanctuary Devlog  (Read 16944 times)
poe
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »

Figured I should start one of these.

Info from the feedback thread:

Six Sided Sanctuary is a puzzle game where you are a cube, you can attach panels to each of your six sides; each panel has special properties that allow it to preform various tasks such as:

Traverse Water
    Fly
    Climb Walls
    Relocate Minecarts
    Bounce Really High

Of course having panels does not necessarily mean you will solve every puzzle, you will need to organize the panels on yourself in such a way that you are sure you can solve each part of the puzzle. Orientation of the cube and where panels are positioned matters obviously.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/poe__
Moddb: http://www.moddb.com/games/six-sided-sanctuary
Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92924038

Progress for this week: Made two new levels, found a musician, and polished up a bit more to make the game feel more fluid Smiley

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 08:32:19 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 07:42:17 AM »

I saw this on Greenlight and thought it looked really interesting. Curious to see where you take it.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:24:05 AM »

Yeah, it looks cool. It reminds me of the game

, which involved setting colors up on the correct sides of the cube. Will the puzzle be impossible unless you have the sides set up correctly from the beginning, so to speak, or will you be able to roll the cube around to get the correct one you want?

poe
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:09:10 AM »

Yeah, it looks cool. It reminds me of the game

, which involved setting colors up on the correct sides of the cube. Will the puzzle be impossible unless you have the sides set up correctly from the beginning, so to speak, or will you be able to roll the cube around to get the correct one you want?

They will be "impossible" I suppose, but the levels are designed to have that not be much of an issue. In later levels there will be ways to rearrange your panels so that you don't have to restart.

New title screen/music:

Of course I polished more this week, also. The never-ending polish cycle.

Thanks for the replies!
poe
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »

This weekend:

Added two new levels, and two new mechanics:

Panel Rearranger- When you stand on it you can move what side panels are on
Teleporters- Well.. y'know by this point

New sound effects courtesy of https://twitter.com/Trurkowski

Hear here:

poe
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »

New panel, new level, new song. I'm not too sure about the mechanics in this so let me know if you have any feedback Smiley
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:17:45 PM »

Having the movement of the cube be tile-based makes it seem a bit fast and bumpy, but the velcro mechanics seem pretty sound. Nice.

poe
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »

Having the movement of the cube be tile-based makes it seem a bit fast and bumpy, but the velcro mechanics seem pretty sound. Nice.

Thank you, and about the too fastness, do you mean in general or on the wall? I could slow it down but I think that may be bothersome... I guess it's time for another entry in the options screen.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 04:10:54 PM »

I meant in general. Actually, it's only really 'choppy'-looking when you are falling and it falls by grid-sized chunks. Just smoothing that out would help, to me.

poe
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:32:20 PM »

I see what you mean now, it doesn't actually fall based on a grid but I'll try and see why it doesn't look smooth.
poe
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 06:10:50 PM »

Weird to think the last time I posted here was October...

I've been working on the game still. More polish and all that.

Tonight I added in metablock levels where you go inside a block and see how it works. Of course there's puzzles in them Wink
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 08:00:48 PM »

I'm invading all your threads :D

The meta puzzle is a kind of cool idea, hope it doesn't detract from the main puzzle though.  Are the meta puzzles required to be solved?
poe
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 08:10:20 PM »

I'm invading all your threads :D

The meta puzzle is a kind of cool idea, hope it doesn't detract from the main puzzle though.  Are the meta puzzles required to be solved?

Well they're just normal levels, at the moment they can be selected from the level select but I may go with something like Super Meat Boy and make it so you have to find them inside a level.
poe
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 03:04:29 PM »

Never mentioned that Meta-puzzles are optional. In fact the game has a lot of optional levels now that there's an overworld instead of a list of levels!

Overworld:

Blue levels are complete, you can't go past them until you finish them but in some areas there aren't paths blocking you allowing you to roam free. Beating some levels will unlock a panel on the overworld to reach more levels!

Portal to metablock:

Getting to these portals will require critical thinking, and using mechanics of the puzzle around you in weird ways that won't necessarily bring you towards the level goal.

Bonus, here's the screen when selecting a level:

I have 15 levels complete at the moment, each trying to use every mechanic in a new and original way or introducing something new. I'm aiming for 40 - 50 levels so the game is actually on the way of being competed. It's gone through a lot visually, and design wise. I'm excited to see what it's turning into, and I should have a demo for you guys very soon. Smiley
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »

Looks cool, looking forward to the next demo.
poe
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 12:02:52 PM »

http://bundle-in-a-box.com/ if you buy a bundle from here, you can vote for Six Sided Sanctuary to win money. The money will be used to hire someone to make 3D models, and finally give something to my wonderful artist and musician who have worked to this point without getting a cent and never complained.
poe
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »

Water is now semi-transparent. Still tweaking but I think it looks better.

Spilli
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 05:26:10 PM »

I really like the art style. Are you taking a Fez approach where the environment/atmosphere is really rich?
poe
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »

I really like the art style. Are you taking a Fez approach where the environment/atmosphere is really rich?

Thanks, it was done by Forstride. The style will vary world to world, so I suppose the first world is very rich yes, but things will be getting very cynical as time goes on  Cheesy.
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »

I've been working on tons of ambient things for my little side project (Meadow), so I might see if poe wants to incorporate some of those ideas into SSS as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic