Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:08:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Wall Jump
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Super Wall Jump  (Read 3837 times)
Pixelade
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:24:25 AM »

Super Wall Jump
•Category: Arcade
•File Size: 2.33 MB
•Made with: Game Maker 8
•Screen Resolution: 208 x 304 scaled by 2
•Changes Screen Resolution: No
•Download Link: Latest version
•Screenshot:

GAMEPLAY
Super Wall Jump is an arcade game where in you have to use your wall jumping abilities to
move from one wall to another. Collect the heart that appears on random locations on the
screen to score points. The game starts out with few spike blocks to avoid at first. But as you collect more hearts, more and more spike blocks will start appearing. Don't fall off the bottom of the screen or else, you're dead. Set your highscore and beat your personal best!

CONTROLS
X: Wall jump
Z: Wall grab

So the music is being made already. We just have to wait for that.
OK so right now I need some general criticism and some suggestions for the game. I really want this game to improve. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:39:42 AM by Pixelade » Logged
vladimirsan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »

Most of the time I'll stay with 0% yellow bar. I try to raise it but...I can't!. Other than that I like the game.

At first I thought that I was supposed to go up like "climbing" the wall, I was a little disappointed when that didn't happened. But no big deal  Beer!
Pixelade
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »

I put the bar there to discourage the wall grabbing part. Its main purpose is really to just save you whenever you need a precise jump. Glad you liked the game!
vladimirsan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »

I put the bar there to discourage the wall grabbing part. Its main purpose is really to just save you whenever you need a precise jump. Glad you liked the game!

Shocked I'll try playing without relying on that.

Also. A lot of recent arcade games usually have a store to make the gameplay a little bit more lasting. Have you thought about that?
Pixelade
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:45:47 AM »

Actually, no I haven't. :D I'll think about it.
Anyway, more feedback guys!
Pixelade
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 02:34:12 AM »

UPDATE!
Added music by Essencescape Soundworks.

Download the latest version here or from the main post.

Suggestions anyone? Feedback? Criticism? Anything?
vladimirsan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »

Like the music, I don't love it though, maybe you could match the beat of the music to the average "jumping" frequency. This idea comes from the fact that I try to run everyday and I discovered than when I sync my running speed to some song I usually run more :p. Just an Idea.

One last thing, Maybe you could change the heart sprite. The heart somehow gives the idea that you are collecting "health" and when you die on the first hit it's kind of surprising. Maybe coins? or something like that X_X. Again, just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:25:20 PM by vladimirsan » Logged
Pixelade
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 03:04:44 AM »

UPDATES!
1.) Changed the heart-collecting idea to a coin-collecting idea.
2.) Made the title screen and game over screen a lot less cluttered.
3.) Made energy restoring faster.
4.) Title screen music *hopefully* coming up. :D

Download the latest version here or from the main post.
Kapser
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 12:33:42 PM »

The mechanic works well, i like this take on wall jumping game.

For now I'd say the only problem is on the long term. When I reach 55 score, which I was proud of, I felt like I really reach my cap of fun, skills and discovery at this point. It would be fun to see a bit more variety instead of just adding quantity of obstacles.

More interactive stuff that gets your brain/reflex working like bouncing blocks, blocks you can jump through, obstacles that react to when youre jumping or splash glue on walls, etc.. Just examples but you get the point.

Pixelade
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 06:49:42 PM »

Well, on the long run, the only goal left is to survive and see how long you can go. But oh well, time to think of block varieties.

Oh by the way, my highscore is 149.
vladimirsan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »

Hey It's nice to see the improvements on the game. I think you could easily implement those mechanics into a small flash game and publish it  Coffee

On a side note I agree with Kapster  Panda
Pixelade
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »

Well, I really don't know how to publish a game and i'm limited only to .exe files.  Sad

Anyway, i'm out of imagination. I can't think of other block varieties.  Tongue
suggo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »

Really liked this, but like others said it just needs more variety to keep me interested. Different types of blocks and power ups will give it the diversity it needs I think.

What about blocks you could land on or bounce off, like a trampoline effect?

vladimirsan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 11:28:07 PM »

Well, I really don't know how to publish a game and i'm limited only to .exe files.  Sad

Anyway, i'm out of imagination. I can't think of other block varieties.  Tongue

If ideas are what you want. This forum surely can provide some....How about moving the walls so the player has to adjust the jumping accordingly? Or some slow blocks that act like "moving walls". (you can slide on them an jump from them)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:33:27 PM by vladimirsan » Logged
Pixelade
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 02:20:59 AM »

Thanks! Anyway, i've added another object in the game. A flying wall! Once you jump into the wall, you'll automatically bounce from it. But I don't really know what it should look like so right now, it's just a black sprite.

"How about moving the walls so the player has to adjust the jumping accordingly?"
What? I don't get this one.
vladimirsan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 06:44:18 AM »

I think it's easier to grasp if you see the concept in action --> http://www.kongregate.com/games/Contrebasse_/love-new-version-for-eden-contest.

It's a completely different kind of game but the concept is still valid. You move the walls and the player has to consider that when moving the avatar Smiley
Pixelade
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »

Oh! I get the idea now! I'll try to implement this in the game sooner or later. Thanks! If you guys have more ideas, i'd be glad to listen!  Wink
Kolba
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

Hi! Found your game on gamin.ru. The pixel graphics are nice and crisp with nice bright colours and blue skies  Hand Thumbs Up Left Music is also pleasant and can be listened to on repeat.

The gameplay is addictive in the beginning, but I feel my skill hits a false ceiling at about 50. I say false ceiling because I could probably push myself to practice again and again to reach a higher score, but I have no incentive to do so.

I was disapointed that there were only 3 backgrounds that cycle over and over. Don't underestimate the power of new backgrounds and new colours in giving the player incentive you try to push themselves that bit more to get themselves over the edge and reward their eyes with some pretty new colours or something unexpected.

Another incentive is that the player could unlock new power ups each time they reach a new level, or every 2 or 3 levels etc. Have you played Super Crate Box? The way its done in that game is that reaching a new level unlocks new power ups and then those new power ups are available from the start of a new game. Though it takes some work making sure those power ups simply add variation/novelty rather than spoiling the balance of the game, it's a great way of making it fun for the player to start over after they die.

Finally: one thing I'd put in is a visual warning when the freeze power is about to expire, by having the screen or background blink for example.

Finally part 2: as the game plays in a small window and can be played with only 2 buttons it would be an ideal game for mobiles, including html5. You might consider that if you want to maximise your audience.

Cheers for the inspiration.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:33:00 PM by BlueSkies » Logged

nachobeard
Level 0

a beard made of nachos

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 12:14:12 PM »

wonderful game!

some suggestions:

a "warning effect" to let the player know that the freeze powerup is running up would be very useful.

more backgrounds as already suggested, maybe attempt to "tell a story" or develop the theme like in ziggurat (

) this will entice players to see what's happening next in the background (at least for me, beating a score is simply not enough to keep me interested for very long).

at the moment it seems like the game gets progressively harder but the falling spikes and powerups are simply random.  this gets very repetitive and you quickly get to situations where it's impossible to survive.

I would try scripting the falling blocks by hand for 10-second sections, and then have the game string them together in random order (according to difficulty).  super hexagon (

) does something like this (I guess) where the sections are scripted by hand and then assembled in random order so you recognize the current pattern but you don't really know what's coming after that.

this is a great benefit because you can put in the game hand-crafted interesting situations for the player to beat, which is something that never happens with totally random levels.

good luck!
-nachobeard.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:15:35 PM by nachobeard » Logged
Binario
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 09:41:20 AM »

You could add a shop for upgrades (between deaths), its a good way to give replayability, maybe buying some magnet upgrades so the items come to player slowly @ magnet level 1 and faster on level 5. Work on what you already have, grip speed, grip duration, jump speed, and so on.

Neat game, simple and fun, if you are limited by exe's try publishing it on windows phone (i have no idea if they use exes, but beign M$ they sure do)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic