Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411284 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:57:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHumans Must Answer - FINISHED!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Humans Must Answer - FINISHED!  (Read 8071 times)
DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 07:18:58 AM »

Hey PythonBlue!

We do have a composer actually and we're very happy with our music thus far. Thanks for the offer though, maybe we'll keep you in mind for any future projects.

p.s. get some speakers and give it a listen Smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:04:02 AM by DISHTY » Logged

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Give your aesthetics people a round of applause for us. I'm sure they're earning it.

Hand Joystick Will this be a difficult shooter? As you may know, the bar is set pretty high for that community by now.

Will do! Thank you very much for the kind words Beer!

As to the difficulty, we are trying to make it difficult yes. Feedback tells us it is too. However, it may not be difficult as everyone would expect to be. This would be because we issue out some puzzley bits through the levels. It's not always dodge and shoot basically - you'll have to use your brain a little bit too.

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 06:38:48 AM »

The Sheriff is now visually complete! Now to make him a nasty son of a bitch  Well, hello there!

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 06:42:13 PM »

Today (or yesterday rather) I wrote up a lengthy piece on how I've been approaching my role as Game Writer on Humans Must Answer and how these considerations have led to my realisation of the void in discussing game writing.

The full blog post is over here: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ChrisPriestman/20121112/181416/Writing_For_A_Genre_That_Doesnt_Welcome_Words.php

Here's an extract:

"As my role as game writer for Humans Must Answer is to attend to the game's 'narrative logic', I have to figure out how I can inform the player of the fiction I've created. Note that I was a late arrival to the team and the game's basics were already in place and some levels were finished and even polished. I had to inject the narrative into a pre-existing game. The easy way of doing that would simply affirm what most people think a game writer does. That would be having text screens, voiceovers or cutscenes for the player to observe. We didn't want text and don't have the capabilities or budget to produce voiceovers or cutscenes, even if we did want them. The issue that prevails here is that we're trying to work with a time-consuming element - the narrative - and attempting to place it within arcade gameplay that has long been designed as quickfire. Can you imagine having to go through cutscenes or slow-scrolling text every time you inserted the coin into a machine back in the 80s? There was no time to tell a story, or at least one of any decent complexity. That said, how we play games has changed a lot since then. My hope is to create a narrative experience within a shmup that moves beyond the one line set-ups that pit the player against a hostile alien race. The key is in how we communicate this to the player and the restrictions I face have forced creativity upon my role, causing me to seek alternative methods of conveying a narrative."

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »

AT LAST! The Sheriff lives! MUAHAHAHAHA!

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 08:14:17 AM »

snip

Bloom is awesome. Nice particle effects too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:39:22 AM by Code_Assassin » Logged
Ingshtrom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »

I never really looked at this, but now I am kicking myself for that.  I watched the IGF trailer you posted and I think it is beautiful.  Personally, I thought it seemed a bit slow-paced, but the graphics were stunning and the gameplay (minus the speed) looked awesome! Good luck at IGF!

Current DevLog: Finding Home (platformer/shooter)
zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »

This looks like all sorts of fun. Great animations!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »

Mars. The industrial heart of the Solar System. Feeds on the ghosts of its laborers

We've now created Mars and the above is what it looks like :D

Below is a little description of the planet and the kind of culture surrounding it.

----
Ah the Red Planet, Mars.

Humans have always been highly curious of Mars and due to this it was the first planet they successfully colonized. Though mere exploration and scientific achievement was their purpose for expanding to Mars, it wasn't long until the planet became a mass mining facility. The interest to humans was its natural resources embedded in the ice and rich soils. Resource extraction on Mars drew a huge commercial facility and as it was clear this was to be the planet's main use to them, they didn't think twice about blowing large holes out to get at that precious helium and hydrogen.

Carving away towards the planet's center, the humans left a city in their wake for the laborers and their families to reside in. Those who live here are usually born on Mars and die on Mars; barely knowing anything beyond the hard life of a miner. If you ever find yourself flying around Mars you'll see masses of cargo trains carrying highly explosive materials to the terrestrial colonies on Jupiter and the many space stations that humans populate in the nearby zones.
----

As well as finishing the look of Mars off, we also have a new track from the game and combined the two into a video that you can watch

ON TOP OF THAT!

We'd also like to send out the alpha demo and welcome any feedback you may have. Before downloading it though, just know that this was the demo we submitted to the IGF and therefore is quite dated now.

So here's what we'd like to note:

• There's 5 levels altogether including a boss fight at the end which is a little unclear at the moment - kudos if you work it out!
  • To unlock all of the levels you'll have to find enough golden eggs. They're hidden around the levels so look out for them. The levels are from various parts of the game and so it will feel like there is a big jump in difficulty at times.
  • You can use a gamepad or keyboard and there are different set-ups to choose from in the options menu.
  • None of these levels are finished as we have more to add to them, most of it is story related but we're keeping that stuff secret for now Smiley

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycywkcmrnpnypbj/Humans_Must_Answer_Alpha_Demo_1016.rar?m

Mirror:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/u5eu2u

But yeah, generally, just know that this is an old build and most of these levels are missing a lot etc etc

As always, if you'd like to help us get on Steam then please vote for us on Greenlight! Much appreciated Smiley
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:15:17 PM by DISHTY » Logged

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 01:41:32 PM »

This looks a lot like Jets'n'Guns ^^ And the art is amazing!

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 05:58:11 AM »

WELCOME TO NEW URUK!

---

With the danger of living in today's Solar System, all you really want is to be around likeminded people, a comfortable home and the latest technology to make your life as easy as it possibly can be. Right? Located on and around the always sunshine-happy Uruk Sulcus region on Ganymede, New Uruk is a new kind of city for exciting people - one that welcomes you with open arms and guarantees that all of your needs can be catered within a kilometer radius. 

Since its inception, New Uruk has become the commercial and domestic heart of the galaxy. There's no place quite like it! Being situated right next to the huge scientific laboratories around Jupiter means that the very latest innovative breakthroughs are delivered to, sometimes even tested on, the denizens of New Uruk. You can be ahead of all the technological trends to ensure that your apartment is kitted out with the most plush metallic wares. If you are into your science, then you'll be excited to hear that you'll be just minutes away from all of the biggest fairs and expos - tech heads and cyborgs will fit right in here!

New Uruk is also one of the cleanest human cities of today's great age! This is partly due to making use of our huge Solar Sails to bring electricity 24/7 to everyone located in three of the city's four huge quadrants, but also because all other resources are imported from Mars. You'll find no quarries here!

Worried about crime in the big city? Fear not, for New Uruk has the best police force that humankind has ever known. Led by the formidable Sheriff Gilgamesh, our police units use the latest search and tracking technology to chase up any crime they don't deal with on the spot with a 99% chance of justice being served!

We can't wait to hand over your new apartment in our exciting city! We're sure you'll fit right in as all personalities are served, ensuring you can live your life of pleasure with no worries. Sign up today!

And remember, always wear your Sun Screen!

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 02:29:44 AM »

Humans Must Answer Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1166550020/humans-must-answer-an-explosive-2d-shmup

-- INTERCEPTED MESSAGE FROM OUTER SPACE THREATENS ENTIRE HUMAN RACE --

Today, a message was intercepted by satellites based on Jupiter's Advanced Astronomical Science Wing that respected scientists and orbital governments are deeming a "threat to humanity". It read as the following:

"Calling all humans! We have a number of your most important figures held hostage and we will destroy not only their lives, but that of your entire species if our demands are not met. Simply, if £5,000 is not pledged to the Humans Must Answer Kickstarter in the next 30 days then you shall perish under the might of our superior avian force.

We've collected three spokespersons from the hostages we've rounded up thus far, and they have the following to say:

"Yes, it does indeed look like a proper shmup in the most classic of manners and does come complete with some fantastic graphics and lots and lots of explosions." - Gnome, IndieGames.com

"But eggstraterrestrials galaxy-faring coop-flyers are – believe it or not – only part of what makes Humans Must Answer intriguing. The other half of that equation, then, is the oh-so-silly shmup’s pedigree." - Nathan Grayson, Rock Paper Shotgun

"There’s more to Humans Must Answer than simply blasting everything out of the skies, as you must creatively use your weaponry to take down seemingly unreachable enemies and trip switches in order to progress forward through the game." - Alex Coccia, Greenlit Gaming

DO FEEL THREATENED. DO BECOME ALARMED. AND DEFINITELY ACT ON OUR DEMANDS."

The threat is being taken very seriously, especially as radars are picking up an unusual mass of sudden movement at a distant point in the galaxy. It is thought that this could be the source of the message and may indicate a huge armada heading for our Solar System.

Humanity is being instructed by authorities to carry on life as normal but to be aware of and spread the message around in order to raise the funds necessary for our survival. Give what you can; our existence relies upon your compliance.

HUMANS MUST ANSWER!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 02:33:08 AM »

Excellent, charming video!
You really deserve that campaign to meet it's funding goal, so good luck!

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 02:47:47 AM »

Would appreciate any feedback and support we can get so that we can obtain our funding goal on Kickstarter!

If there's anything that you feel we should clarify on the page then please let me know. We'll be adding a FAQ soon so we can put answers in there for people to see.

Oh, and the thing we're working on at the moment is the last levels around Earth. This is what Earth looks like in Humans Must Answer:

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 02:48:38 AM »

Excellent, charming video!
You really deserve that campaign to meet it's funding goal, so good luck!

Thanks! Hopefully we get there :D

DISHTY
Level 0

PUNCH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 04:05:29 AM »

Yay! Public beta demo time and we would really love to get some decent feedback as we're tightening the game up. We've already made changes after receiving feedback on this version, but here it is in raw form so please check it out!

Downloads [WINDOWS ONLY] (Extract .rar first and then double click the .exe):

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/22im8gyalc58meu/HMADEMO.rar

If it does crash on launch, and it's happened for a couple of people, then please consult this post for a solution...hopefully.

Thanks for the support so far!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic