Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:28:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJam: What to Bring, What to Expect, and When
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TIGJam: What to Bring, What to Expect, and When  (Read 8371 times)
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:14:37 PM »

Edit: Updated for TIGJam2!

Yes Bring:

- A Laptop Computer.  It's going to be crowded.  A laptop is best.  Please don't bring your three 30" Apple Cinema Displays and expect to have room to set up.

Note:  If you don't have a computer you can bring, please email me immediately (matthew at blurst-dot-com).  We have scant few extra machines lying around, but we can help.  If you show up empty handed without an email you may be relegated to dancing for everyone's amusement.

Another Note:  We'll have a Unity license key available if you'd like to try it out.

- WPA-capable Wireless.  If you're on an old WEP-only laptop, or if you plan to collaborate on a very data-heavy project with someone else, we do have gigabit ethernet available (although not enough for everyone).

- Good Headphones.  Ideally you're going to want sound isolating headphones.  The office can get really distracting with 7 people.  23 people is going to be a buzzing, laughy place, full of jokes and continuous flatulence.  Make sure you can shut it out if you need that to work.  If you don't like listening to music while you work, because you're that kind of guy, you should seriously bring earplugs.  I keep a pair at the office!

- A Working Workflow.  If you're going to be doing iPhone development, make sure you have certs/provisions/voodoo all prepared.  Make sure you can get art into your engine, in case friendly artists want to get on board your project.  Make sure you don't need to download a bunch of crap to get everything work.  Nothing sucks worse than fighting some obscure piece of technical minutia when you should be pumping out sweet games.

- Cool Clothes.  The average temps for October 9th are 91 °F / 32 °C highs, 65 °F  / 18 °C lows.  Last year's high was 98 °F, so it can definitely be warm!  Also:  Swim suit!

- Water Bottle with Lid. We have a water cooler at the office.  Bring a water bottle of some sort (with a lid)!

- Notepad. We have whiteboards on most of our walls, but you'll probably want some way to keep track of all of the awesome ideas bouncing around in your head!

No Bring:

- A Huge Setup.  Our office isn't super small, or anything, but we're going to cramming a ton of people into it.  If you're planning on bringing a music keyboard, or something else big, please email me!

- Bad Vibes.  I think this goes without saying.  In particular, be open to critique/discussion/brainstorms on whatever idea it is you're jamming on.  The whole point is to jam on something in full creative view of other creative people.  Share your opinions with others!

Other Things:

- Food.  There's a good breakfast/lunch place right outside our door, U.S. Egg.  We know a number of nearby restaurants to suit a multitude of fancies, should you fancy something fancier.

- Snacks.  We're going to have a  restrictive food/soda policy going on for sanity's sake (it may limited to the break room, or we may do a water-only thing at desks, not sure yet).  We're a quarter mile from a Whole Foods, though, which offers a plethora of delicious treats.  A nice coffee shop is on the west end of our complex.  It'll be easy to keep your brain fed.

- Office Hours.  The office part of the jam will open at 8:30am, and close up shop at 1am.  The party will continue somewhere, of course, possibly with Mickey's drank to the label and filled back up with orange juice, but we need to clear the office nightly.  We have a security system; your stuff will be fine, if you want to leave it (and if you don't, another good reason to bring a laptop).

- End-of-Jam Dinner.  The official end-of-jam dinner will be held at Delhi Palace, a delicious Indian restaurant, on Sunday at 8pm.  This dinner will be covered by your entry free, so eat and drink up!

- TIGJam T-Shirts.  We'll have t-shirts in the sizes you put into the survey when you arrive.  Shirts are covered by your entry fee.

- WIP Updates.  There will be an internal website for the jam, for people to upload new screenshots/descriptions for their project.  Our scrolling LED Sign (and creepy text-to-speech voice) will announce updates, and the screenshots will be slideshowed on a TV in the middle of the room.  We're going to do our best to circulate all of the cool shit people are working on.

And more as I think of them!  Questions on anything?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 02:26:50 PM by Matthew » Logged

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:05:12 PM »

I'm really looking forward to the continuous flatulence!  WTF

Can we get some of these in offical TIGJam print?
http://www.under-tec.com/gasEaters.php

This will be the bomb though.
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 03:01:39 AM »

thems some crazy organisation skillz Matt, i only wish i could go, even to the UK one Sad

Best of luck for it all though Smiley

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:46:19 AM »

Awesome job Matthew!  Thank you so much for working so hard on this!   Beer!

cup full of magic charisma
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 12:30:52 PM »

Yeah, seriously, thanks, Matthew!  This wouldn't have been possible without your logistical brilliance! Beer!
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 01:12:36 PM »

Is the swim suit for Adam's pre-jam party or will there be inter-drunken-tiggin-swimming? And do you guys have a microwave in case I decide to grab some kind of microwavable lunch or something from Whole Foods?

And I think we need to plan a fantasy grill run with Tommunism as the ring leader, or at least the brave ones. I am allergic to curry which makes Sunday's dinner a little less appetizing, but as long as they have non-curry smothered deliciousness (which they always do) it sounds like its going to be a blast.

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »

We have a microwave and a toaster oven (and a tiny, tiny fridge, which is always full).  Steve's house and Dan's house both have pools, so swim suit is a good pack regardless.

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:11:28 AM »

I'm on board with fantasy grill.  Maybe we can do it the first night the Jam when we're all hyped and excited to be alive, and not yet exhausted.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 01:32:38 AM »

The most important thing to bring is yourself.

You don't want to get all the way to the jam and then realize your forgot yourself at home.  Now that'd just be embarrassing.

(in all seriousness, I really wanted to go to this Sad maybe another time)
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 07:02:58 PM »

Had a question for the Flashbang folks. I heard there is going to be a Wii there, would I be able to snag it & a tv for doing development on? I'm thinking about working on a bloom engine for the Wii using the homebrew compiler. Do you guys have a copy of Zelda there so I can install the homebrew channel and do my dev work, or should I bring my copy?

Also, I'm planning on bringing a backup of Target: Terror so we can rock out and I can show you how to get perfects on every minigame :D The only problem with the current backup system is that it shows up in black & white unless you have a component or vga cable, something to do with the way it patches the iso. For playing purposes, do you guys have a component/vga out on the Wii?

D.Neelf
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 07:43:52 PM »

AWWWWWWWWWW SHIT

Mackfats knows how to get down...

Ill bring my turntables and the fat laces for the adidas, my homie will bring his afrikaa bambataa mennequin, and my homie young mattski fresh will bring the tribal shirts so we can keep it graffitious.
Holler
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 07:58:22 AM »

wait what

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 06:03:28 AM »

A Crunk spambaby! Best pop some caps in it.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Kekskiller
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 07:05:28 AM »

He has a suspicious website name.
Data
Giant Enemy Crab
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 08:19:52 PM »

Also: Bring swim trunks - indie nerd pool party at the data mansion might be in the cards.  Beer!Hand Joystick
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:24:27 PM by Data » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic