Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:00:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames[s]Bob's Game[/s] POKEMAN
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54
Print
Author Topic: [s]Bob's Game[/s] POKEMAN  (Read 173299 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 09:29:38 AM »

You know, I honestly didn't think of that possibility. Shocked

HOw likely do you guys think it is?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Movius
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 09:37:52 AM »

I thought the game looked fairly interesting from the trailer. Nothing looked overly terrible, it showed a decent sense of humour and managed to put a lot of character into what footage there was.

As mentioned earlier, it seemed very reminiscent of Earthbound, which can only be a good thing.

I really enjoy good adventure games, so I'll definitely be awaiting more news on this.
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »

I'm actually sort of surprised it took him 15,000 hours to make this game. I can dig the attitude that you get fed up with big industries going on about how big your team needs to be and what not, but look at some of the teams that used to make the NES and SNES games. You usually had about 5-6 people in a small office cranking out really great titles like Metal Storm and Uniracers.

The biggest challenge I think he's going to face if he wants to make this a "Commercial" game that people actually buy is all of the Nintendo seal of quality crap you have to go through to get your game actually put out. If he truly does not want anyone else to touch his code, he's going to have to inject all this himself without any major set backs. Some examples of this are "when you close the lid, the game MUST go into power save, no matter where in the game it is", "you must give an error screen if the save fails to read", etc. The DS is not as bad as the Wii, but there are still a gang of quality control issues you have to go through.

In terms of the gameplay and the game itself, I give it a thumbs up. I enjoy the Earthbound style of games as Movious mentioned, the dude totally has aspergers as Fish said which means the game is going to feel very complete when he does finally release it. I just hope Nintendo does not block him for using the unofficial devkitarm compiler, they frown slightly on you not purchasing their expensive black boxes Smiley

Seth
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 11:25:26 AM »

Boy that video really does make you want to dismiss his work.

lol at

"the red-headed delivery man who helps neighbors mingle by delivering mail to the wrong house"

I noticed he didn't say "brown-haired" for every brunette character he introduced!

Anyway, this doesn't look like an interesting social game to me because it seems like all the characters are intentionally one-dimensional.

Now I got that out of the way, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what's the game's really like.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 02:40:58 PM »

im pretty sure the guy is autistic or suffers from some serious OCD or asperger's syndrome or something like that.

I could see maybe a touch of OCD.

As for aspergers, no...

be ulillillia.

Argh, just derailed my own thread...

tweet tweet @j_younger
Renton
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 02:43:30 PM »

Argh, just derailed my own thread...
HA HA!
[/nelson]
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 07:31:25 PM »

Personally I don't expect it to go anywhere even if it gets finished. Kinda pessimistic I guess, but if his trailer making skills are any indication... Huh? I mean come on, 1/3 of it is introducing minor characters, and another 1/6 is the maker in his underwear? All to one repetitive song?

Also, I think his attitude is largely harmful Tongue
First he seems obsessed with doing it all himself, when the only benefit I can see to that is that it can evidently be used as a marketing ploy.
And there's no reason to be that afraid of stealing. No game that steals actual content is liable to be big enough to warrant any attention outside of the community it's native to, and the stealing of concepts is natural progress, for better or for worse.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
undertech
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 09:29:56 PM »

I wonder if this will become the next Battlecruiser 3000AD. Derek Smart will live again!
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »

I wonder if this will become the next Battlecruiser 3000AD. Derek Smart will live again!
He still has a loooong way to go to rival the legacy of Derek Smart.

cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »

The guy's pretty cool and maybe a little paranoid. There's a huge thread on selectbutton that he (himself) made http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?t=15393 if any of you care for his perspective.
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 11:09:56 PM »

I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to debate this.
I've played Doukutsu/Cave Story and my game is quite larger.
Not sure about Yume Nikki, I'll check it out.
I know of a few other "singlehanded" titles as well, and I'm pretty sure I've got them beat as well.
Even so, those games are relevant for a reason..
And AFAIK those people were already professional developers. I was not, I taught myself from scratch.

He lost me there.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2008, 11:14:56 PM »

The guy's pretty cool and maybe a little paranoid. There's a huge thread on selectbutton that he (himself) made http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?t=15393 if any of you care for his perspective.

Hehe, another person comparing Bob to ulillillia in that thread:

Quote from: sawtooth
bob — what is the highest point you can reach in the game world: also, what is the highest speed you can attain in the game world?

:D

And yeah, I actually found out about this from an SA thread that a friend of Bob's posted in Games.  Soon after Bob himself joined to contribute to the conversation.  Usually not a good idea, as goons can be rather cruel, but I was surprised to see as many positive responses as there were.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Renton
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2008, 11:32:24 PM »

Having just read the whole Select Button thread; I have to say, I lost whatever little sympathy left I had for the guy. The thread also proves my suspicions right. The guy is a huge egomaniac who obsessed over and pissed away 5 years in the making of his jrpg, and thinks just because he pissed away those 5 long years, it makes the game the 8th wonder of the world.
I mean "I'm the end-game boss"? Seriously? WTF
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:14:20 AM by Renton » Logged
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2008, 01:05:25 AM »

I mean "I'm the end-game boss"? Seriously? WTF

Don't forget his masterpiece of a story. I bet in the end it all makes sense. :D
Renton
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2008, 01:31:04 AM »

And he says he's been sending the video to Ubisoft and other companies. WTF

"Here's a video of me in my underwear, wasting my most precious years in front of a screen, making a game. You don't need to know anything else about the game, because I spent my peak and most productive years on it, instead of actually making something of myself, and that's what makes the game so awesome. Even if it turns out to be the biggest pile of elephant dung, (which it might be, since no one ever tested it, (because I'm too much of a paranoid egomaniac, and I think if anyone saw the game, they would steal it immediately and be the next Will Wright (yes the game is that awesome)), or ever seen a single piece of gameplay) it's okay, because I made it by myself in 5 years! I even made the graphics pixel by pixel, as if other pixel artists have some other magical way of doing pixel art, and I believe my game to be the last of the great arcade era, and it will be the pinnacle of gaming, and yes, just because I made it by myself. I'm great. I'm so great, I even put myself as the end boss. Who better than me, Bob the Magnificent, to push the player to the edge, challenging them both physically and spiritually with my awesomeness?
So won't you pretty please buy my game and make me rich and famous? I even wore my clean undies for the video!"

So, that's my interpretation of the underlying message hidden in his video and posts at Select Button.
Movius
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2008, 02:22:46 AM »

In order to be appreciated by the critic  of discerning taste he must use the word asset more in his publications.
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2008, 02:27:51 AM »

I just think it's funny how he mostly talks about how this game consumed his life instead of talking about the game itself. What is he aiming for, sympathy votes?
I don't know if I'd play the game, because to be honest I have no idea what the game is like, all I know is that is "big", "innovating" and took him 5 years to do it, oh and from what I can see from the trailer there's little people in it, doing... stuff Roll Eyes
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2008, 02:35:35 AM »

I don't get how people are afraid of revealing their awesome ideas. Ideas don't mean jack shit unless you can do something with them. You don't see Will Wright going "Well guys my new game is called Spore and it has aliens in it. But I don't want to say any more or somebody might steal my ideas."

arrogancy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2008, 05:11:55 AM »

Hehe, another person comparing Bob to ulillillia in that thread:

Quote from: sawtooth
bob — what is the highest point you can reach in the game world: also, what is the highest speed you can attain in the game world?

:D

And yeah, I actually found out about this from an SA thread that a friend of Bob's posted in Games.  Soon after Bob himself joined to contribute to the conversation.  Usually not a good idea, as goons can be rather cruel, but I was surprised to see as many positive responses as there were.

I'm on that SA thread under another name and I've talked to him enough about the game. I'll reserve judgment until I see anything besides a guy walking around randomly talking to people, which could just be done in RPGMaker, but I did advise him on his approach in general.

I love his attention to detail, though.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2008, 05:28:23 AM »

This kind of reminds me of Demon rush.

Cave Story
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 54
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic