Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:52:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSlimeful: Greedy Piggy Chase!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Slimeful: Greedy Piggy Chase!!  (Read 15043 times)
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2012, 04:32:48 PM »

Since this summer, my good friend Pierre-Luc Poirier (Technobeanie on Twitter) and I have been working on a game called Slimeful, which is going to be awesome - but this is not the game I'll be talking about today -  this is a spin-off we'll call Slimeful: Greedy Piggy Chase!

We decided to switch gears for about a month and contribute to the Mount Royal Game Society trimester game jam once again, this time with a simple multiplayer arena game. We're aiming for a fast paced, Pac Man-style party game that's all played on a large fantasy-themed map. Our buddy Ian Girard also joined the project, effectively doubling our programming army! Woot!

Up to 4 players will roll their slime around the map collecting coins. To add these coins to your score, you need to cash them in by catching the flying piggy bank(s) that's just floating about the world.​ Combat will consist of a simple dash move and one or two power-ups. The cool risk and reward mechanic is that getting hit makes you lose all coins you've collected but not put in the bank!​

​At first, the map looked pretty much exactly like a Pac-Man map. It felt wrong and lame, so I started drawing a different map...

The second mock-up is where I started thinking this was a pretty good idea - we could make a world filled with classic RPG zones like a cemetary, a castle, a forest and so on. I played around with the idea of one-way jumps too, but we quickly dismissed those.

I sent that mock-up and the design sketches (first pic) to Pierre-Luc and Ian, and they jumped on board! We were then off to a fantastic game-making adventure.​

We then thought the strict grid-based movement was not necessary, so we opened up the map a little bit to have more freedom of movement. This is the first draft for a more complete map, with slow terrain (purple), dangerous terrain (red), and intermittent dangerous terrain (marked with an A) like a dragon breathing fire or something. I also started placing spawn points for coin clusters and power-ups. We're hoping to force player movement by cycling through spawn points at random during the game and by having the piggy bank fly above collision boxes.

I left for the New York Comic Con for a few days and came back to a good prototype of the game, with many of the main features​ integrated - controller support, 4 character movement, dash move, coins, timer, player selection screen, flying piggy...​ These guys did some great work there! Smiley

We realized the map was a little too dense, so I went and made a new one. I also added a bubble over each slime to show how many coins each slime has collected - that way players can hunt the richest!

And now we're here in the Neverpants studio, jamming our way through this game! I've started doing UI assets, I updated the map with even more breathing space and brought back the alternating damaging areas (orange).​ Ian and P-L have integrated a ton of new features - sword power-up, death and respawn, power-up spawn points, and so on. We got our first 4 player action on in a very early map while having pizza, and it's getting there! Yay!

We'll be posting more about Greedy Piggy Chase really soon as I develop the art for the map and start animating the slimes, coins and flying piggy! We're planning to finish this in about a month or two and release/play it in gaming events!

Gentleman
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:02:15 PM by Dom2D » Logged

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »

Sounds cool! You guys seem to go the right direction. I'm definitely following this Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:23:32 PM »

I can tell you exactly what I'd do if I played this game; sit in front of one of the other player's cash-in spot and never move except to attack them when they get close to it.  Just make that one player's life suck.

Yeah, I'm a prick.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:28:32 PM »

The cash-in spot (the piggy) is the same for every player, and it is always on the move! Plus it flies over obstacles so it's actually a lot of work to follow it all the time!   Smiley

SeventySevian
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:25:13 PM »

We knew camping could potentially be an issue, so we try to force the players to move around the screen by having dynamic interactions with the world :D
JigxorAndy
Level 6

Working on Dungeon Dashers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:55:59 PM »

Sounds like a really cool idea and I'm loving the mockups already! I hope it goes well.

Twitter / Dungeon Dashers: Website / Steam Store
Uykered
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »

This could be awesome, I love multiplayer games. Can't wait to see how it goes.
Ashkin
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »

yesssssss
Also, I'm not sure about this, but what if the person who dashes LAST wins, instead of the person who goes first? Could lead to some interesting standoffs, though depending on speed it might just end up with the guy who initiates it always losing.
Or maybe winner is the guy who has the most coins and is therefore heavier- would add some reward to carrying a bunch of coins around, maybe. Or go for a midground between the two so you don't just have one unbeatable titan lumbering around.

Also goshdarnit dom I love literally everything you do you are pretty much my idol
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:17 PM »

This looks really interesting, and your dev sketches look really cool. I look forward to this Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Ben H
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 12:14:56 AM »

Looks amazing. I love your sketches as always.

But how do the piggies fly? Are they balloons? Do they have wings? Are the coins made of liquid helium that then makes them float? My brain burns with questions.

knightSquared
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 12:22:02 AM »

I'm loving this!  I'm always a big sucker towards these pac-man / bomberman type games.  Any plans for network play?

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 12:31:06 AM »

Sounds cool, yeah. Bomberman / Pac-man gameplay could always be expanded on. I trust the style will end up being great, as well!

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 04:47:10 AM »

This looks hilariously fun. Could be awesome.

Make it awesome. Noir

technobeanie
TIGBaby

Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 06:43:29 AM »

Thanks everybody for all your good comments on our game! You guys are awesome!

I can only say right now that some of your questions will be answered really soon (as some of them are already in the game design).

Yeah! Hand Metal Left

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 11:41:45 AM »

Couple of sketches around this game!

Have a good day gents, ladies and slimes!

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 11:49:25 AM »

Your sketches and design docs looks better than the actual game. *You* are doing it wrong.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »

I hope the in-game graphics look as good as the development drawings!

BTW: Slimes aren't that cute, why not try something more like an animal? Smiley
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 12:14:17 PM »

Your sketches and design docs looks better than the actual game. *You* are doing it wrong.
I hope the in-game graphics look as good as the development drawings!

I hope so too. Stuff shown here is all placeholder.

BTW: Slimes aren't that cute, why not try something more like an animal? Smiley

We're doing slimes because our next game, Slimeful, is all about slimes!

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »

Work in progress for the map art. Still a lot of work to do  Epileptic

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 08:20:30 PM »

Wow, that looks pretty damn good already.

I like the "cave drawing" on the rock, and the flowers around the statue. They're nice little details that are usually absent.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic