Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:29:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlRebooting this Project
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rebooting this Project  (Read 11815 times)
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »

If there's anyone out there still interested in this project, I think we can still get a presentable product out of this and have a plan that we can use to achieve it.

1. Finish the graphics and sound for what is already programmed. The game is fully playable right now and if we can finish the presentation, then we'll have something that we can actually put out. It may not have as much content as we want, but at least it can be considered finished.

2. Avoid adding new ideas for a while. While there are plenty of indie games that deserve representation in this game, I have noticed that this makes the game-making process severely unfocused. We should just try to take chunks of what ideas we already have and work on them one at a time for right now. We can talk about adding new ideas when nearly all of what we already have planned is complete.

I am not trying to lead this project, but just suggest how we can bring it back to life. Being part of it a long time ago and looking back on how good it actually was, I feel a little guilt at seeing it unfinished for so long, that is all. As far as I know, Soulliard is still in charge. Nonetheless, I think this plan could help make things more orderly for now if we adopted it.

Anyway, I suggest we focus on the sprites of the unfinished characters right now. As soon as I find the time, you'll be seeing work done on Turner.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:13:16 AM »

My... I thought no one else was interested on this anymore. Even if i'm not really useful you have my support man. Cheers Gentleman

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Y.u.a.n
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »

I don't know much about how this project is structured, but has it been considered to make it modular?

That way a version with "not that much content" could be released, and then little by little rosters/moves/balancing/etc., could be updated, perhaps even original content be made by the indie developers of each respective game themselves. The style would be less unified than it is right now, but not necessarily a bad thing.

Of course, that could plague the game with hacks and sprite-rips from Street Fighter, KOF, etc., but there could always be "official" releases.

Maybe an easy to edit template could be made, and the Smash Bros. style of gameplay could be simplified to "Attack 1" and "Attack 2", and they could use the same animations with different timings. Then, little by little, they could be changed into different attacks themed by the original game, much the same way KOF or SF characters had a repeated Medium Punch or air attack and future iterations of the game would change it to a new animation.

Just my opinion because I was always excited about this project, and I am sure that if it gets released, the community will have much more motivation to introduce contents. I personally would love to draw some of my characters for the project, and help with ones that are missing in my spare time.
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »

I don't know much about how this project is structured, but has it been considered to make it modular?

That way a version with "not that much content" could be released, and then little by little rosters/moves/balancing/etc., could be updated
This is pretty much what I have in mind. Finish what we have programmed now, release it, then continue adding to it. The problem is that we still need a programmer, but for now I'll be working as hard as I can on the graphics. I've started working on Turner already.
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 05:43:09 AM »

I've actually been thinking about this myself. My brother and I have been playing the game quite a bit the last couple of weeks, and lament over the fact that it is not finished. I've even been fiddling around with the source a bit to see what I can do with it. Unfortunately, I've no experience with Game Maker, and my spriting capabilities are still poor, so I don't think I can be of much use except for bug testing, unfortunately, but I'll gladly help if you can think of a way for me to do so.

If a template character was made, I'd be able to help more. Until then, though, I think I'm pretty limited.
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »

We can use all the help we can get. If you want to learn how to pixel art go here: http://www.derekyu.com/?page_id=218 Its a great tutorial and how I started out.

I've been busy myself and unable to work a ton, but expect spriting progress, even if it is slow.
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:16 AM »

Oh, thanks for the link. Forgot about that one.

Actually, I spent some time looking at Indie Brawls code, and I think I may actually be able to work with it to add characters and sprites. All it would really take is some edits here and there. I think. It would probably be slow going, but I think I can do it. I'm going to try adding the Turner sprite you made when I get home today. Start simple, right?
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »

I would love for this project to be revived, but unfortunately I don't have the time to take on the work myself. However, I will try to make myself as available as possible for anyone who wants to continue working on it and might have questions. I still know the code pretty well, and I've saved every sound and image related to the project up until the last few months. I don't check my PMs as regularly as I used to, but I still respond quickly to emails.

The best into to the source code is here, but at this point I've essentially given up ownership of the code so whoever continues work on it can change whatever they want.

I should note that adding graphics is more complicated than just throwing a sprite into the game. The timing and hitbox all need to be carefully adjusted so the graphics and gameplay match up, and both are fun.

tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:12:15 AM »

*smacks himself in the face* I came here to say that I was having difficulties figuring out how to add a sprite and make it work, when you essentially just posted how to do it. Man, I feel stupid. I will print the intro to the code off and try again when I get home.
thewojnartist
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 11:06:16 PM »

Sorry I have not been able to draw as much as I promised. I'm really busy at the time, but I'm  trying my best to keep this project in mind. Christmas Break is coming up and I should have plenty of time then, but if I find the spare time before then, you will see some Turner attacks done. I'm planning on working on the one where he swings his staff around 360 next.
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »

And I discover that my computer has two Trojans on it. Yipee.
JaydenB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:59:38 AM »

I've been browsing TigSource for a while but only just made an account. If any help if needed on the coding or art side, I would be glad to help. I actually haven't used GameMaker for like 5-7 years so maybe I won't be too good on the coding front.
Nuclearinsanity
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »

Uh, I just found this. This is really cool, but it seems to be in full mayday. It could do with a handful of roster replcements, but this still is pretty neat. Pissed that I didn't think of it first.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »

The roster is a little out of date, since the project started in late 2007.

chaated
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »

So, I'm really new here, but this sounds awesome and I'd love to contribute sprites.  What are the specs?  What do you need?  Seems like there's years worth of stuff, but I'd love a more current request Smiley
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »

I want this game to be done dammit. Tongue

I don't care if you call it "Indie Brawl '07"

Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 03:16:40 AM »

I want this game to be done dammit. Tongue

I don't care if you call it "Indie Brawl '07"

Ditto

Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 02:06:56 PM »

I can offer my services if anyone wants this project to be worked on.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »

Like, many of us want this project to be done and stuff, so if you wanna work on it I think you should just go ahead.

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »

I definitely think you should be working on it if you want to. I would be working on it, but my spriting skills aren't even close to good enough yet.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic