Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:00:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDECAY
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DECAY  (Read 1861 times)
archiboldian
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:39:05 PM »

I've started work on this game in Java. I call it "DECAY".
It's set (to begin with I think) in a badly rendered 3D wolfensteinish world.
The game starts with a text to speech voice saying "Live", you soon learn that this voice is the voice of "Mother" an artificial intelligence that has created you and given you your sentience, you see with a raycaster.

Not really sure where to go from here but I have a few ideas written down, I think it'd be cool for the character to wake up in a 2D world and that being the real one. (obviously inspired by Fez)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I'll keep this thread up to date if I add anything, don't get your hopes up though I tend not to finish projects.   Facepalm

Thanks.
-ac

Crazy
AntiAntagonist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »

Do you have a link to your project?
archiboldian
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »

Do you have a link to your project?

Errr, well. All it is now is a raycaster. It took a while to make that and I'm still trying to figure out a story and work on a level editor with triggers etc...
I put this post up in case some people might be able to help me with ideas or something. I should've said that originally, or maybe I was too hasty to post.
When I get something slightly interesting working I'll put up a link to it.
Also looking at what little I wrote of the story it seems kinda stupid but really what I have written so far is better, I just don't want to give it away.
AntiAntagonist
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »

Well, it looks like you could go in a lot of different directions-
Why were you created?
Is your creator malevolent, benevolent, or uninvested?
Is Mother a virtual being as well, or something else?

Can't wait to see more.
archiboldian
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »

Thanks for the input, it really helps.
I get really stuck without external stimuli.
Right now I'm just working on the level editor and engine, making it as easy to use as possible and flexible so I can use it in future projects... also might release the editor with the game so people can make their own maps.
It's going well, got a Java swing gui with load/new map functions.
Just got the map to draw on the editing panel when it loads a map file!
So when that's done I'll start developing maps with story...
More to come soon...
Here's a screeny (obviously looks nothing like final product):
archiboldian
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »

Okay some updates on the map editor:
The maps use an XML format and I've recently written functionality to load/edit/save within the editor. Soon I'll add some decal layers etc, but at the moment it's just a base layer of tiles using a separate definitions file to determine solidity/transparency etc (these tiles control the game basically, the other decal layers will be for just that - decal).
Basically the editor currently functions as a prototype map editor, making maps that are playable within the main game engine.
Also the editor already allows you to select tiles for either the left click or right click (I like that).
I'm hoping to release the editor with the game itself, so it's important.
Here's a picture of the updated editor:

Sorry for general slowness.
archiboldian
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 09:33:28 AM »

-- some ideas for vendor and weapon designs... sorry if it's quite crass - I draw stupid. (also sorry for the semi-obvious semi-quote from skyrim.)

Waaagh!
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »

No, I draw stupid.

Thy game is quite interesting in it's premise. I wonder if thy game will have any story in it or it will a find-for-thyself kind of adventure.

Will thou incorporate living entities or will there be only static entities and puzzle solving for the adventurers?

Yeah.
archiboldian
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »

Thy person-man like ye olde atmosferique games of yonder, and thus am entit-led to continue in their futsteeps.
Although I am partial to a few living things, and maybe a sprinkle of procedural generation, but you can have too much... I guess it'll go where it'll go but I'm going to try to make it a game that I've always wanted to play.
Which is:
  • Fun
  • Fun
  • A lot of exploration
  • Fun
  • Interesting mechanics
  • Funny (not forced) and characteristic dialogue
  • Fun
archiboldian
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »

Done some extra work and made quite a solid tile-based platformer engine - and some tiles... I think I like them but I don't really like the colour, and I also want to have a more textured feel rather than solid colour. But it's a good start:

-- coming up:
  • Slopes (maybe)
  • Layers
  • Vehicles (oh god yes)
  • Triggers n' Flags n' Shit
  • A scripting language for controlling maps however you want with buttons and triggers and flags and shit..
  • More fun stuff I can think of...

Here's a random drawing for your consideration:

Everyone has them, except for some who don't. That's a fact. Corny Laugh
archiboldian
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »

I wonder if thy game will have any story in it

Uh I missed this, sorry. Yes, there will be story. But I think I want it to unfold in an original way, in a more open non-linear way... Well, hello there!

Evil
Avgudar
Level 0

AVGUDAR

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »

Why are their dicks showing? Huh?

Avgudar avgudar gudar
archiboldian
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:52:59 PM »

Why not?
archiboldian
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 06:09:40 PM »

Just wanted to show off some new tiles I'm proud of:

• Chest
  • Tombstone
  • Orb
  • Flowers
Spummy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 01:06:17 AM »

Hey. Since your idea is still in it's early days I don't have any suggestions about the game itself, but for what it's worth you might want to consider not using the name "DECAY" merely because there's quite a few games and mods that use the name, and it would be hard if people want to find your game specifically.

But otherwise, all I have to say is good luck!
archiboldian
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »

Hey. Since your idea is still in it's early days I don't have any suggestions about the game itself, but for what it's worth you might want to consider not using the name "DECAY" merely because there's quite a few games and mods that use the name, and it would be hard if people want to find your game specifically.

But otherwise, all I have to say is good luck!

Thanks for the good luck and for the tip, it's greatly appreciated. The name is a working title because I usually spend ages on a title before I start work which is bad form and I decided to go against that (although the name tends to be quite good that way).

Also sorry for the dicks, it's my drawing style and I often draw naked characters for some reason (don't judge), also the character in my sketch was only wearing shoulder gaurds to illustrate what he looks like without any gear on... and people have genitals...
archiboldian
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:02 AM »

Haven't slept and now it's 10 am...  Done tons more work but not at a point where I want to show it off.
Going to have Lua as the scripting language, allowing people (including me) to code the game entities outside of the Java source.
Here's a little funny:

archiboldian
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »

Huge movements now!
Here's a list because I'm in a rush to continue working and I can't be bothered:
  • Crouching animation and functionality.
  • Tile layers to allow for visual interest and endless delight!
  • Easily scriptable entities with Lua as a language!(!!!!!)
  • A fuckin' nice intro
  • In game debug console (it comes up if you press tab in-game while debugging is on) that allows you to run lua functions inside the game, control it outside of script and see printed errors and info from your scripts to debug etc...
Here's an image of the console:

And here's an excerpt from my TODO list on the project, for your reading pleasure:
DECAY.edit -- TODO

Allow editing of layers, showing composite views of all or chosen or just the main.
Could have a toggle button to hide all but main layer and hide/show toggle buttons on each layer to hide/show them individually

Need to implement a script editor for entities… maybe even sprite editor (very cool!)
Allow code (with templates) for just that one instance of the entity, using the main.lua in the entities folder like a class file…

Also a cool feature for the entities would be to allow you to just connect them to many others, to allow for easy interaction:
For instance, you create 2 door entities and 1 button.
You want to allow for the button script to be flexible and allow for activating both doors (or more), so on the button script
when you want to activate the doors, you write the code once, like "effect_connected". Without an index this function will run
on every connected entity, with one it'll only effect the entity at that index…
Also a "effect_connected_type" function would take a string as the type of entity and only effect that type, like:

effect_connected_type("door")

and with an extra int after the string it can take an index.

The function takes a string as the name of the function it will run on connected entity's script.
Sorry if you dont understand what I wrote there, I was very tired...

I have to say I've had some thought on the matter and I think I'm set with DECAY ENGINE as the name of the engine and a more original and catchy name will be made for the eventual game itself...

Expect good things. Beer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic