Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1037841 Posts in 41923 Topics- by 33539 Members - Latest Member: Kalaniseguin

August 31, 2014, 11:32:03 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackPlaytestingDECAY
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: DECAY  (Read 1313 times)
archiboldian
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 09:03:15 AM »

Hey. Since your idea is still in it's early days I don't have any suggestions about the game itself, but for what it's worth you might want to consider not using the name "DECAY" merely because there's quite a few games and mods that use the name, and it would be hard if people want to find your game specifically.

But otherwise, all I have to say is good luck!

Thanks for the good luck and for the tip, it's greatly appreciated. The name is a working title because I usually spend ages on a title before I start work which is bad form and I decided to go against that (although the name tends to be quite good that way).

Why are their dicks showing? Huh?

Also sorry for the dicks, it's my drawing style and I often draw naked characters for some reason (don't judge), also the character in my sketch was only wearing shoulder gaurds to illustrate what he looks like without any gear on... and people have genitals...
archiboldian
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:02 AM »

Haven't slept and now it's 10 am...  Done tons more work but not at a point where I want to show it off.
Going to have Lua as the scripting language, allowing people (including me) to code the game entities outside of the Java source.
Here's a little funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPj-8_wOZcA
archiboldian
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »

Huge movements now!
Here's a list because I'm in a rush to continue working and I can't be bothered:
  • Crouching animation and functionality.
  • Tile layers to allow for visual interest and endless delight!
  • Easily scriptable entities with Lua as a language!(!!!!!)
  • A fuckin' nice intro
  • In game debug console (it comes up if you press tab in-game while debugging is on) that allows you to run lua functions inside the game, control it outside of script and see printed errors and info from your scripts to debug etc...
Here's an image of the console:

And here's an excerpt from my TODO list on the project, for your reading pleasure:
DECAY.edit -- TODO

Allow editing of layers, showing composite views of all or chosen or just the main.
Could have a toggle button to hide all but main layer and hide/show toggle buttons on each layer to hide/show them individually

Need to implement a script editor for entities… maybe even sprite editor (very cool!)
Allow code (with templates) for just that one instance of the entity, using the main.lua in the entities folder like a class file…

Also a cool feature for the entities would be to allow you to just connect them to many others, to allow for easy interaction:
For instance, you create 2 door entities and 1 button.
You want to allow for the button script to be flexible and allow for activating both doors (or more), so on the button script
when you want to activate the doors, you write the code once, like "effect_connected". Without an index this function will run
on every connected entity, with one it'll only effect the entity at that index…
Also a "effect_connected_type" function would take a string as the type of entity and only effect that type, like:

effect_connected_type("door")

and with an extra int after the string it can take an index.

The function takes a string as the name of the function it will run on connected entity's script.
Sorry if you dont understand what I wrote there, I was very tired...

I have to say I've had some thought on the matter and I think I'm set with DECAY ENGINE as the name of the engine and a more original and catchy name will be made for the eventual game itself...

Expect good things. Beer!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic