Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:37:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRemnant
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Remnant  (Read 25399 times)
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2013, 02:40:01 AM »

Beautiful. I just reckon you need to cleanup some of the animations and transitions from one animation to another.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2013, 03:13:25 AM »

It leaves me with a black screen Sad
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2013, 04:20:27 AM »

ok this is just epic! Great quality work. I see this becoming a great game already!!

♒ben
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013, 04:47:51 AM »

Very cool, glad to see this project is still moving forward!

So the main issue I had was not really having a clear or immediate understanding of what plane I was walking on, what things I could jump on etc. I think you should try to separate the other layers a bit more.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2013, 05:57:27 AM »

Ok, got it to work in IE. Here's a bit of feedback:

I think the game suffers from the thing that people almost always run in to when doing platformers, difficulty to separate cosmetic background from collidable terrain. I think the reason why you've run into this problem is that you're coming at it from the wrong angle.

You're an awesome artist, and you know how to make incredible images. So you have something that looks great, and now you want to make it play as good as it looks. That will be very difficult to achieve, as play is not something you add to a game, it's the core of the game.

I think it would serve you better to create something that plays awesome, and then try to make it look as cool as possible. The joy from playing a game is from how things move and interact, the graphics are just seasoning. Now you're making ketchup with french fries, not french fries with ketchup.

If I were you I'd drop the images entirely at this point, or keep them on paper, very far away from my prototyping. Instead I'd make the character move around in a landscape of grey boxes. When you have made jumping on grey boxes fun enough that it's a pastime in itself, then start thinking about how to implement the art. Make a game with graphics, not graphics with a game.

--

Other than this I want to say that I love the world you are building, and the style you're rendering it in.
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2013, 07:29:37 AM »

Beautiful. I just reckon you need to cleanup some of the animations and transitions from one animation to another.

Definitely, we will. Thanks for the feedback!

ok this is just epic! Great quality work. I see this becoming a great game already!!

Thanks!

Very cool, glad to see this project is still moving forward!

So the main issue I had was not really having a clear or immediate understanding of what plane I was walking on, what things I could jump on etc. I think you should try to separate the other layers a bit more.

Yes, that was one of the biggest issues I learned about the demo. Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, got it to work in IE. Here's a bit of feedback:

I think the game suffers from the thing that people almost always run in to when doing platformers, difficulty to separate cosmetic background from collidable terrain. I think the reason why you've run into this problem is that you're coming at it from the wrong angle.

You're an awesome artist, and you know how to make incredible images. So you have something that looks great, and now you want to make it play as good as it looks. That will be very difficult to achieve, as play is not something you add to a game, it's the core of the game.

I think it would serve you better to create something that plays awesome, and then try to make it look as cool as possible. The joy from playing a game is from how things move and interact, the graphics are just seasoning. Now you're making ketchup with french fries, not french fries with ketchup.

If I were you I'd drop the images entirely at this point, or keep them on paper, very far away from my prototyping. Instead I'd make the character move around in a landscape of grey boxes. When you have made jumping on grey boxes fun enough that it's a pastime in itself, then start thinking about how to implement the art. Make a game with graphics, not graphics with a game.

--

Other than this I want to say that I love the world you are building, and the style you're rendering it in.

Yep, I made the mistake of making the level graphics first, and not the level. Unfortunately I did this because I had to have something for my Senior Show thing, but I'm going to be restarting this from the proper angle. I'm glad you and the others brought these points up. thanks for the feedback, glad it worked at least in IE.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »

Tried the demo on a Mac in Chrome. Got to 100% loaded and then nothing. Just a black screen.

siskavard
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2013, 11:41:49 AM »

This looks absolutely stunning. I'm just in awe of your concepts.
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »

This looks absolutely stunning. I'm just in awe of your concepts.

Thanks!

Tried the demo on a Mac in Chrome. Got to 100% loaded and then nothing. Just a black screen.

Yea it happens on my mac too. I'm not sure why.

The thing is, this demo was built for prototype and school purposes (using a drag n drop program), and it won't be done using this engine any more. So this demo is pretty much obsolete. My team and I are starting from scratch again in Unity, since my previous programmer had to leave.

SoulSharer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »

Love the epicness and scale. Looks very beautiful and inspiring. Smiley

Twitter: twitter.com/SoulSharer
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »

My team and I are starting from scratch again in Unity, since my previous programmer had to leave.
Awesome! Looking forward to the Unity version, then.

Demon Lizardman
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2013, 06:37:45 AM »

Hey, you were at the Ringling Senior show right?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:45:21 AM by Demon Lizardman » Logged

SoulSharer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2013, 05:41:00 AM »

Is project still being worked on? It was quite a while since the last update.

Twitter: twitter.com/SoulSharer
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »

Just noticed this project ... it looks so lovely!  Hope you're still moving forward with it Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »

This looks beautiful. :-D Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »

Is project still being worked on? It was quite a while since the last update.

Just noticed this project ... it looks so lovely!  Hope you're still moving forward with it Smiley

This looks beautiful. :-D Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Thanks guys, the project at this moment is on hold. This project is very personal to me, and because there've been issues with the past programmers before, I had to put it on hold. I will resume it for sure, because in my mind, this game HAS to be completed. I will be, however working on concepts from time to time, maybe I'll update those concepts here.

At the moment though I am working on another project called Otherworld: www.playotherworld.com

We've yet to begin marketing or really exposing the game, but I ought to assure you guys that I haven't given up on Remnant. I just need to find the right developers for it, at the right time.

oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2014, 01:58:21 PM »

Really really like the art for your game. which make me rather sorry to see it's development stall. But Otherworld looks incredible as well !  looking forward updates to on either.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:19:49 PM by oleomingus » Logged

bitserum
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »

I hope you get back to Remnant soon, I fell in love with its atmosphere the moment I laid my eyes on it a few months back.
Reaper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »

So actually all of your projects have awesome art in them, how do you do it, tell us Grin

qwertyhim513
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »

I have only 1 VERY BAD thing to say about this game... I can stand the wait!!!!!  Gentleman
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic