Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998096 Posts in 39134 Topics- by 30545 Members - Latest Member: oxysoft

April 17, 2014, 01:23:31 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsRemnant
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Remnant  (Read 10380 times)
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »

Thanks guys. New sketches. I'll be updating more and more sketches as I go. Actual game updates will be scarce since each member of the team is busy with a lot of school work. At the moment we are getting a lot of the basic blocks of the game to be done, and we are developing a pipeline for how the assets will be implemented in the game engine. I am still hindered by the animation, but once that's done, I'll be working on a couple things for the first level. After that, the first level should be playable...perhaps. When we reach that milestone, the rest will hopefully come easier and we can implement more levels for the alpha demo.

Tinyutopia
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2013, 01:04:24 AM »

I really like how this is coming along. Being a computer animation grad from ringling myself, I understand the challenge trying to compress an understanding of learning new tools with the challenge of building a unique aesthetic. Even more impressive that your an illustration major that doesn't require dabbling in interactive. I've been telling them for years that they should drop udk and start teaching unity instead, maybe projects like yours will convince them.

sonjool
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2013, 02:06:14 AM »

First of all, the art looks fantastic. The black and white compositions, the fauna and flora ideations are wonderful. The style reminds of Eyvind Earle because of the strong graphical shapes of your design coupled with more representational renderings. I really like the rock-crabs and the birds haha. I'm really looking forward to how this turns out.

Also if you don't mind me asking, how are you creating the scene in unity? Are those platforms (rocks and ground) just a texture of a plane and geometry hidden behind it to provide collision? Because on the second shot of the first page, I see the character is in front of one of the rocks.

wethesqueemish
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »

Holy wow!  Well, hello there!

This looks beautiful, can't wait to play it!
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 03:46:25 PM »

The concept art looks very nice! Smiley Well done so far!

seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:22 AM »

I really like how this is coming along. Being a computer animation grad from ringling myself, I understand the challenge trying to compress an understanding of learning new tools with the challenge of building a unique aesthetic. Even more impressive that your an illustration major that doesn't require dabbling in interactive. I've been telling them for years that they should drop udk and start teaching unity instead, maybe projects like yours will convince them.

Sweet, cool to see a fellow Ringling graduate here! Yea, I totally agree, I don't understand why game art and design only teaches UDK; there's a whole broad range of video games that people can go into. In fact, the game art department has gone so far as to restrict students from making games! They can only make "game trailers" and not games.

First of all, the art looks fantastic. The black and white compositions, the fauna and flora ideations are wonderful. The style reminds of Eyvind Earle because of the strong graphical shapes of your design coupled with more representational renderings. I really like the rock-crabs and the birds haha. I'm really looking forward to how this turns out.

Also if you don't mind me asking, how are you creating the scene in unity? Are those platforms (rocks and ground) just a texture of a plane and geometry hidden behind it to provide collision? Because on the second shot of the first page, I see the character is in front of one of the rocks.

Thanks! I've gotten the reminds-me-of-Eyvind-Earle several times haha. I think though the final levels might look a tad different. I did study his work though a while ago, so I'm not surprised his shapes are seeping through. :/

Every parallax is on a separate geometric rectangle that is very thin, and the graphics are superimposed on the geometry. Some assets will be behind the character, and some in front.

Holy wow!  Well, hello there!

This looks beautiful, can't wait to play it!

Thanks, I can't wait to play it myself!

The concept art looks very nice! Smiley Well done so far!

Thank you!

NEWS:

New team member: Elizabeth McMahill, a recent computer animation graduate from Ringling College. She will be working on the animations.

seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2013, 11:20:29 PM »

Hi guys, so I finally have something at least.

It's a lame, very lame playable something/demo. WASD controls. The glowing mushrooms are climbable.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42072694/Remnant%20Demo/index.html

It might appear too dark depending on your monitor calibrations. I apologize for that. Feel free to critique it as hard as you can.

thekill473
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2013, 02:40:01 AM »

Beautiful. I just reckon you need to cleanup some of the animations and transitions from one animation to another.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2013, 03:13:25 AM »

It leaves me with a black screen Sad
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2013, 04:20:27 AM »

ok this is just epic! Great quality work. I see this becoming a great game already!!

fisher
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2013, 04:47:51 AM »

Very cool, glad to see this project is still moving forward!

So the main issue I had was not really having a clear or immediate understanding of what plane I was walking on, what things I could jump on etc. I think you should try to separate the other layers a bit more.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2013, 05:57:27 AM »

Ok, got it to work in IE. Here's a bit of feedback:

I think the game suffers from the thing that people almost always run in to when doing platformers, difficulty to separate cosmetic background from collidable terrain. I think the reason why you've run into this problem is that you're coming at it from the wrong angle.

You're an awesome artist, and you know how to make incredible images. So you have something that looks great, and now you want to make it play as good as it looks. That will be very difficult to achieve, as play is not something you add to a game, it's the core of the game.

I think it would serve you better to create something that plays awesome, and then try to make it look as cool as possible. The joy from playing a game is from how things move and interact, the graphics are just seasoning. Now you're making ketchup with french fries, not french fries with ketchup.

If I were you I'd drop the images entirely at this point, or keep them on paper, very far away from my prototyping. Instead I'd make the character move around in a landscape of grey boxes. When you have made jumping on grey boxes fun enough that it's a pastime in itself, then start thinking about how to implement the art. Make a game with graphics, not graphics with a game.

--

Other than this I want to say that I love the world you are building, and the style you're rendering it in.
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2013, 07:29:37 AM »

Beautiful. I just reckon you need to cleanup some of the animations and transitions from one animation to another.

Definitely, we will. Thanks for the feedback!

ok this is just epic! Great quality work. I see this becoming a great game already!!

Thanks!

Very cool, glad to see this project is still moving forward!

So the main issue I had was not really having a clear or immediate understanding of what plane I was walking on, what things I could jump on etc. I think you should try to separate the other layers a bit more.

Yes, that was one of the biggest issues I learned about the demo. Thanks for the feedback!

Ok, got it to work in IE. Here's a bit of feedback:

I think the game suffers from the thing that people almost always run in to when doing platformers, difficulty to separate cosmetic background from collidable terrain. I think the reason why you've run into this problem is that you're coming at it from the wrong angle.

You're an awesome artist, and you know how to make incredible images. So you have something that looks great, and now you want to make it play as good as it looks. That will be very difficult to achieve, as play is not something you add to a game, it's the core of the game.

I think it would serve you better to create something that plays awesome, and then try to make it look as cool as possible. The joy from playing a game is from how things move and interact, the graphics are just seasoning. Now you're making ketchup with french fries, not french fries with ketchup.

If I were you I'd drop the images entirely at this point, or keep them on paper, very far away from my prototyping. Instead I'd make the character move around in a landscape of grey boxes. When you have made jumping on grey boxes fun enough that it's a pastime in itself, then start thinking about how to implement the art. Make a game with graphics, not graphics with a game.

--

Other than this I want to say that I love the world you are building, and the style you're rendering it in.

Yep, I made the mistake of making the level graphics first, and not the level. Unfortunately I did this because I had to have something for my Senior Show thing, but I'm going to be restarting this from the proper angle. I'm glad you and the others brought these points up. thanks for the feedback, glad it worked at least in IE.

johnki
Level 8

Invisi-wizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2013, 09:37:25 AM »

Tried the demo on a Mac in Chrome. Got to 100% loaded and then nothing. Just a black screen.

siskavard
Level 10

FUTUREBEARD

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2013, 11:41:49 AM »

This looks absolutely stunning. I'm just in awe of your concepts.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic