Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:20:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Wild West
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: The Wild West  (Read 21867 times)
egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:14:18 AM »

NOTE: 26-01-2013

Yes, we (I and 'The Wild West') are still alive.

* The image is at 1:1 scale, click it to see at x2

UPDATE: 08-12-2012

Hey ya! Hi!
Some (slow, as always) progresses with The Wild West, my main project.
Today, I´m showing you three teaser gifs + some changes I made that it´s problably not show in a right way through images:

• Gamepad support. Now the game is fully playable (menu and game) without the keyboard only using the pad (tested with a Xbox360 like controller). I have some future interesting ideas around this feature.
  • They are not very noticeable in the screens (gif compression), but here are some new ambiente particles and effects.
  • The sun has some technichal change too to make it more "real" or at least, for western effective.

A new enemy/indian type. He shots arrows directly to you (not finished yet):

A pre-alpha ver. of an another enemy type: wolves (I gotta redesign and reanimate them from the ground, I know, but I wanted to make their AI and test them early):

New slomotion mode activated/deactivated in critic moments like just before a boss:

Still lots of things to tweak, create, implement, finish...
Thanks for all your attention, words and support.

PROGRESS

------------------------------------

UPDATE: 24-11-2012

Too much time without any updates or new notices about the game I think, so here are some new screenshoots (or teasers).
These last days/weeks, I´ve also started another parallel game project (that I can´t announce till now) not to get saturated with The Wild West and continue workin´ on it with illusion (and new experiences and knowledge).
Well, let´s go to the interesting part (hope that):

Some (maybe unlockeable???) filters to add variety Smiley:

Scanlines (sh*t, I think they aren´t visible at this sh*tty gif xD, but I promise they are there, jaja):

Black&White:

Old tv (sorry for the weight of this):

Pure wild west (my favourite one, I think):

Two extras:

Let´s take a look at the new pain effect: what do you think? has I improved it from the last ones Smiley?

And a more interesting and longtimed teaser, with some unshown enemies and behaviours:

And that´s all for now guys! Hope you like it.
I will continue updating the topic as I progress. For no, I will work on this all the incoming week, and gotta say we´ve started to design music too (yes, I say we because the music is not goint to be mine).
Thanks for all folks!

PROGRESS
Yes, it´s still at 20%, I´m not too good controlling it xD.

UPDATE: 05-11-2012

Well well well, as today an indie retro game lover magazine has posted a coverage about "The Wild West" (link, link), I think it´s time to show some new screenshots and improvements (and I have more to come, but I prefer to make things with time).
So, here they are:

Started to add an interactive minimal simple menu to the start screen:

The new "reload" hud element (you can compare it with the older one from first post). Much cleaner and intuitive:

Jumping and shooting:

New basic enemy (they are more difficult that they seem at start): scorpions:

New enemy killing dynamic (as you can´t shoot downward):

Pain effect for when you are hitted:

In the last days I´ve been working on:
  • bullet (and bullet hit) improvements
  • Day/night cycle bug fixing
  • New enemy types and designs
  • Hud improvements
  • (unlockeable?¿?¿?) Filters (screenshots to come)
  • Jumping/falling/landing poses
  • Internal optimizations
  • First boss fixes
And that´s all folk for now Smiley.
Thanks for all your motivation and support.

PROGRESS

Hi everybody
As somebody of you know, I started to work on a title called "Dieeeeeeeeee" some time ago, but as you can notice, I decided to pause it´s development and create something more direct, fast and why not say, easier to design. And that´s how I started to work on "The Wild West" about 2 weeks ago (in the few hours I have free after my sport trainings and office works).

Every image I´m posting here is directly taken from it´s gameplay (I´ll publish a pre-alpha demo and gameplay video in the near future).
It´s my first "pixel-art" based project, so don´t be very cruel with me.
Well, the ingame screenshots, hope you like them:

Live title screen

Jump

Shoot

Shoot + Reload message

Reload

Life package

Life package taken

First simple enemies

Buffalo boss 01

Buffalo boss 02

Buffalo boss 03

Dead

(You can open the images in a new tab for viewing them at their´s original x2 size)

The game features day/night cycles (with heat effect), dynamic clouds, life packages, stars, enemy creation points, particles, basic physics for some objects, ...

Future plans:
  • More and more enemy types (of course)
  • More animations (for player and enemies)
  • More bosses
  • Changes/Redesign of messages (reaload, boss, ...)
  • Music + sounds (now it have some testing temporal sounds
  • Some titlescreen options
  • Secret (for now) features Smiley

Everything is made by me: graphics, animations, game developmentm game idea, gameplay system... although I´m going to be helped for the music and sounds.

PROGRESS

And, as always, sorry for my bad english Smiley.
Thanks.
[/SIZE]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:11:40 AM by egoitzOsa » Logged

Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »

I want it ! The graphics are cute and fit very well with the super-large screens !

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:05:45 PM »

This looks right up my alley. I look forward to seeing where you take it

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »

My first thought was "man, I need to learn how to fit that much detail into that small of a space".

In other words, it looks great, and I really want to play it. I don't think I've ever seen a better use of that slim of a screen.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »

*subscribed for updates*

egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:01:39 AM »

I´ve updated the main/first post.

If you think it´s a good idea, I´ll continue updating this topic like this, posting the updates in the main post, and noticing any changes in the responses.

Thank for all your support people Smiley.

ChrisD
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »

Love the graphics, cute.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »

Looks cool, yeah. Nice graphics and style! I think the pain effect might do better with some red - it doesn't look like it lets you know enough that you've been hit.

egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 12:14:50 AM »

Hand Joystick So the resolution of the game is extremely wide and short? My eyes hurt trying to look at everything in such a screen. What's going on there?

Yep! The game resolution is inspired (not direclty proportional) by the oldie cinemascope style (typical from western films with the objetive of showing more landscapes).
It´s true that there are lot of things taking place and the same time in the screen, but it´s really easy to play once you get ot it. The most important things take place near the player, and you only have to look and the other side if you become an expert and want to know what is going to come next.
My idea was to have a lot of detailed things and the same time but let the player concentrate on the important things as him, the player.

Looks cool, yeah. Nice graphics and style! I think the pain effect might do better with some red - it doesn't look like it lets you know enough that you've been hit.

Correct. And, casually, I have some pain effect tests with red screen too, but for now, I´m not totally at ease with that result. I gotta make more test, but that´s the main idea, to combine some red with the shown effect (maybe, I´m using a very abrupt effect and I´ve to make it more continued and soft effects... like a color fade...).

Ashkin
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 12:46:18 AM »

I am watching you.
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »

Woooow that looks amazing when it is expected to be finished Smiley

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 04:26:45 AM »

I like this a lot.

egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:34:14 PM »

Woooow that looks amazing when it is expected to be finished Smiley

Not sure when it's going to be finished. I think I'll remease it when I feel satisfied with it,  that's the most important thing for me.
The development is quite open and since I'm developing it alone at all, the progress is a little bit slow (I have a full day work and practicesome hobbies as sports).
In the other hand,  I hope I'll be able to release a pre-alpha demo before 2013, so soon Smiley.

Thanks for all your interest and critics/opinions.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 12:36:19 PM »

Looks snazzy,h ow do you do the pain effect?

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »

cuteness <3

egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »

Looks snazzy,h ow do you do the pain effect?

It´s not the final effect for now, I´m still making some test with that part, for example, this is the actual footage:

The base of this pain effect is really simple, it´s based in a gaussian blur effect (and now I´m combining with a color layer and some other ingredients Wink).

This is a new test, not the old one (and not published one, but I spoke about) whic was a lot more darker and less soft.

Do you people think it´s better know? I like this last version, because it has an oldie classic style visual effect tinted by red, and it´s more visual for the player too.

Harry Harrison
Level 0

Kinfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 04:41:31 AM »

That heat-haze effect and the idea are awesome. Love it.

aftslash
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 06:41:41 AM »

Looks really good dude.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 07:31:18 AM »

I like the redder effect, yeah. It's a lot more obvious that you got hit, to the point where you don't really need to animate the player.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 08:45:46 AM »

Yup the red color is more noticeable that you are being hit beside it looks more like old games when you being hit and produce a hi chiptune sound with flickering the background color using red color Smiley

Nice effect Smiley Keep it Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic