Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:50:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMetal Mage ~ MegaMan-esque game/engine in development
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Metal Mage ~ MegaMan-esque game/engine in development  (Read 12188 times)
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »

Changes:
* Added multiple tile selection, this makes making levels so much easier! This way you can take large pieces (I haven't set any limit, but ur computer will have to allocate memory and delete memory at this part, so I might limit this later for 0 memory allocations) and place them elsewhere. Good huh? Smiley
* Changed to 1024x768 in resolution rather than 800x600 so there's more space for the object windows etc. Smiley
* Moved "selected tile(s)" to it's own window. Allowing you to build the "tiles" however you like before you actually place them onto the level.
* Tested saving between two revisions of levels.
* Made a Elec Man remix for fun. (you aren't hearing the whole song during this video)

* I started preparing for water tiles and tiles such as conveyor belt and quicksand which moves whatever's in contact with them
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »

Changes:
* Phlubby started on climbing (it needs a bit more work to be just like Mega Man)
* I added velocity to the char-object if it's on a conveyor belt.
* CamPoints are now saved when u edit a level.

Next up:
* E-Tank (collectibles)
* Falling death traps from Metal Man stage.
* The driller enemies
* Jumping circus monster
* Glider monster
* Ability to turn on/off Camera Point locks
* Ability to turn on/off drawing of campoints
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »

Cool. I like the idea of camera vectors - I never would have thought of doing cameras like that. It's much more logical and works well for any kind of level that you want to design. Game's looking like it's shaping up! Nice work!

Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 11:24:06 AM »

The campoints are logical and work pretty good. HOWEVER, as it is right now there's no way to allow both X and Y movement (unless campoints are diagonally from eachother) for corridors via this method. However if I add some max LEFT,TOP,RIGHT,BOTTOM in change then it'd work... But it's not as easy to understand. Maybe I add support for both camera on rails via points and camera areas.

Like in Super Mario World, the camera has some sort of threshold before it starts scrolling upwards and it can scroll only for a bit upwards while most levels go from left to right.
I'd like to implement such a thing into my engine.

Ty for comment SolarLune!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:57:39 PM by Elrinth » Logged
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 04:48:13 PM »

Now I'm both getting somewhere and not getting somewhere. I realize more and more I need to do alot of code restructuring Tongue

* Anyways implemented really sloppy the falling death trap. It updates and plays sounds even tho it's outside of the camera.
* Also added an etank which the player can pick up. Also made sure etank isn't affected by tile velocity changes such as the conveyor belt.
* Fixed so u can turn on / off campoint lock and visiblity of the campoints.
* Made the zoom effect a bit better
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 04:53:30 PM by Elrinth » Logged
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »

A run-thru of what the Metal-Man stage looks like

chlog:
* Mostly bug fixes (regarding level save/load and campoints)
* Built whole Metal Man stage (sadly without it's objects and monster spawns)
* Audio engine fixed so it allows looped songs, and also it's properly done!

known issues:
* objects can cause crash when moved outside sections in world
* collision vs solo gap doesn't make player fall, he simply walks over it (ala super mario)
* collision vs gaps in walls make player lose fall-velocity
* when switching between campoints, there is one frame which it doesn't have a connected campoint therefore it blinks (the borders aren't drawn). Here I should rewrite code so it gets nearest campoint automagically
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »

Just a quick status report.

* Added LUA scripting to the project (not used yet)
* Thrown away alot of old object code

So I've thrown away alot of my previous object code. I'm going to rework it. It was a pure headache to work with, and there was ALOT of new / delete involved, plus I was moving objects between chunks in the world alot and it's probably buggy code cause of this. In this new code, I'll have all objects ALWAYS in memory.

Hopefully I can get the new object code working pretty soon. Tomorrow or sunday. I'll be focusing on getting object scripting working. So one can script how objects should behave.
The behaviour of my objects I've shown so far were all hard coded. I obviously want to be able to let ppl using the game engine to create new kinds of monsters, objects and whatever without having to edit the source code.

Here's the latest build (before I removed objects):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5145312/bin.7z
REQUIRES WIN7!
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 02:12:48 AM »

Cool project, I love how you've handled camera scrolling.

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »

The complimentary color palette was chosen very well. Good eye for identifying that.

I see aesthetic style derivative of Megaman as well, which is not a bad thing.

EDIT: The color palette was giving me vibes of Castelvania, that's what it was. Also I just read the title of the post, so of course there's Megaman elements. Derp.
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 04:30:24 AM »

Haven't worked a shiz on this. I started a few days ago again to take a look at the code. Fixed some stuff on the gui, like hover-logic for scrollbars. Fixed up some cases where buttons would trigger when they shouldn't. Now the buttons are more like they are in your OS.

Still at the part where I try to implement the Scripting language. Having trouble to decide how I wanna do with it Tongue

Also completely unrelated but some of you maybe like Chrono Trigger. Here's a WIP tune I made.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5145312/WIP/weird-o-lympics/skyline%27s%202002%20zeal%20mix_-_2013-04-30_17-58-33.mp3/skyline%27s%202002%20zeal%20mix_-_2013-04-30_14-11-51.mp3[/url]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:03:36 AM by Elrinth » Logged
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 08:30:18 AM »

Changes:

- General
* Optimizations which gives a few more fps (less time between each frame)

- Gameplay
* Collision and physics logic finally perfected

- Editor
* Fixed selection logic, the selection rectangle was disappearing previously if u had something selected before
- UI
* You can now select like in windows inside a textbox and mark text and delete etc. There are still some things here which can be fixed. Like ability to select a text and if cursor is placed above the selected text then moved, it should move the selected text inside the textbox.
- Campoints
* Fixed some bug which made last campoint to forget about it's connected campoints.
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »

Changes:
* Added new monster (DRILLER)
* Fixed conveyor belt logic ONCE again. Noticed the belts went much faster when I played in release mode, haha Smiley Stupid me for simply adding the speed and not having it dependant on time Wink
* Objects placed are now saved in the level-files. Right now it only recognizes player and FallingDeathTrap

Next up is to let user specify an area where the Driller monster shall spawn.
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 02:53:02 AM »

Driller spawner area half working Smiley It should spawn the drills inside the hard blocks and they should be spawned 6 infront of megaman. Now their positions aren't the same as in MM2.
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »

Changes:
* Added additional sounds
* Fixed bullets to work again
* Made death-bullets to not care about the world
* Added immortality to death traps so now they will bounce bullets off them
- bounced bullets from immortal stuff ignore world
* Drillers can take damage, but not deal damage. Will fix this in next release.
* Fixed spawning/current locations over the whole world.. it will work better now! Smiley

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:32:01 PM by Elrinth » Logged
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2013, 03:09:44 AM »

Finally got my game running on a friends computer (he's got windows 8 ).

Here's a video of the latest progress:

Here's a build for anyone to try (if you have windows XP I am really happy if you can reply and say if it works):
http://www.elrinth.se/Boppa.zip

Controls are explained in the readme.txt

But in short if u wanna run and gun a bit. First thing you do, press E. This sets object selection. Then u can mark the character you wanna play with the mouse. Once marked, press C to control the character, press F to have the camera follow the character... Once controlling a character it's standard: Z to jump, X to fire, arrows to move. Oh and hint, you can control many characters at the same time Tongue

Changes:
* Been thru hell to fix it running with toolkit: v110_xp (hopefully it'll run on XP computers now)
* Friend already found bug where if u place a character far away from campoints then it'll crash. I fixed this, but the camera will be locked.

Issues:
* Drillers spawn badly
* Drillers don't deal damage to the player
* Falling into thin pit (1 tile wide) when running over doesn't always work. Sometimes character just bugs over
* E-Tank bug out (animation speeds up and you can't pick them up or shoot them)
* Driller Spawner Area is hard to move, also, there's no indication that you've selected it
* Level still contains some conveyor belts with old values which make the character fly all over the place Smiley
* Is within camera logic needs to be redone to fit the CamPoint rectangles.
Shoots take too long to get deleted, enemies take to long to get deleted, etc etc.

* ... and a boatload of more bugz, issues and stuff Smiley
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:26:01 AM by Elrinth » Logged
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »

Changelog:
* Drillers spawn decent now
* Drillers now deal damage to the player
* E-Tank bug fixed (animation did speed up and you couldn't pick them up or shoot them)
* Driller spawner areas now have indication that you've selected them
* All previous conveyor belt values have been changed to be more accurate to the ones in Mega Man 2. (Might redo how this works, currently it applies the speed from the conveyor belt after it applies character movement)
* Objects don't update outside of the camera rectangle now. For example, FallingDeathTrap(s) regain their initial position the second u move it outside the camera and it stops updating it's logic.
* Cog + Juggler Clown enemy implemented
* Immune-to-damage-Glider enemy which does a spring-ish attack implemented
* Tinman Totem enemy implemented <- this enemy took longest time to implement. Mainly cause I had to do adjustments to the engine to get it working good

Remaining issues:
* Falling into thin pit (1 tile wide) when running over doesn't always work. Sometimes character just bugs over.
* Saving all new things to level files
* Boss door
* Metal Man boss logics
* Spawn graphics for Mega Man
* A short pause before the game starts
* Death -> respawn
* Place checkpoint (store last checkpoint touched value somewhere)
* Enemy explosion (right now enemies are just deleted when they die)

Alot changed engine-wise since last update. I probably can't remember all changes. To name a few none-visual ones: Added Bullet-response-functions for each object. Basically an object tells how the bullet should respond to a collision with it. Right now there are only 3 types of responses: none, destroy and deflect. none simply passes thru object, destroy removes the bullet, and deflect bounces the bullet in the opposite direction it came from. Other changes include a few new bools to the base class like ApplyStopFriction, IsSelectable. I'm using the apply stop friction to make an object slow down once there's no change/increase in velocity. The IsSelectable I'm using on objects which I don't want to be selectable such as the TinmanTotem's parts. I only want the whole body to be selectable but not the seperate pieces.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:21:18 AM by Elrinth » Logged
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »

Awesome work! I think the map/stage editor is the worst part of making a game, and you are developing an excellent and polished one Beer!

I deeply admire your patience!
Conker534
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »

This kinda stuff right here is the reason I wish I could program! Building a engine looks so funnn.

This is really cool, following.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »

this is awesome.
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »

First of all:
Thank you for the kind and encouraging words: karlozalb, Conker and Graham. !

2nd, my changes:
* New feature: Now enemies are properly respawned when their spawn location+current location is outta picture. But they are only respawned when the spawn-point gets into the picture window again. Currently only works well for the Cog Juggler-enemies tho as I've decided to code most of the logic there Tongue (they were best to test with)

* New feature: Created a new class called ObjectList which can create objects of any predefined type. It takes a string-name and can create such object. C++ sadly don't have string to object, so I had to do it this way. I will add all new objects I create into this ObjectList-class.

* New BIG feature: Created Script Area. Wow I never knew I would finally do this. But I decided it was about time. So now you can place script areas, it's very premature right now, but I've already tested it with "Wait(1) PlaySound(\\path\\to\file.wav) SetTileActive(1,0,180,210,0)". This way I can make boss doors appear / disappear when player touch them! :D

* Oh and a bunch of general crash-bug fixes.

3rd, I'm getting closer to my pre-pre-pre-alpha(that's the moment I'll mark this project 10%), here's what's left:
* Ability to place checkpoints (this allows you to respawn at certain points if you die after them)
* Death -> respawn (Comes together with the above feature)
* A short pause before the game starts displaying READY (also comes together with the above feature)
* Spawn graphics for Mega Man (when (re)spawning megaman, simply show the standard Star Trek beam me in gfx)
* Boss door trigger area? (this one is closer to 70% done now that script area is getting there)
* Saving & Loading all new things (I'll need to store Checkpoints and triggerareas, shouldn't be too much of a hazzle)
* Tinman Totem spawn animation (tinman totem glides up the different parts before he starts moving when he comes into screen, the same happens when u hit him once on difficult mode in mm2)
* Death animation for player (simply replace the bullets which are used now with some animating mm2 stuff)
* Spawn an explosion wherever an enemy was defeated by your bullets.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 03:28:52 PM by Elrinth » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic