Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:35:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAntharion
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Antharion  (Read 8050 times)
ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »

Antharion is an old-school turn-based party-based RPG set in a huge open fantasy world.

Antharion Kickstarter

Features:
  • Create and customize a party of up to 4 characters (race, class, sex and appearance)
  • Huge open world that rewards player exploration
  • Full Day/Night and Weather Cycles including rain, snow, fog, thunder and lighting
  • Smart AI: Monsters and NPCs have their own temperaments and combat strategies
  • Dynamic lighting and shadows takes old-school dungeon crawling into a new era
  • Turn-based tabletop-like game-play with rock solid mechanics
  • 3 Magic schools with 45+ unique spells

Hey guys, I've been working on this project by myself for over a year. Recently I brought on board a pixel artist and a world designer. Since then, this thing has transformed into something way beyond what I ever could have imagined. Antharion is the old-school RPG experience taken to the Nth degree. I tried to remove all extraneous elements in ordero to let the core game-play shine through. The result is a game that feels like no other, past or present. Antharion's world is vast and interesting, its story is infused with its game-play, combat and characters. Game-play feels crisp, responsive and transparent. The world seems boundless, immense and interesting with it's own unique character and charm. We feel like we have something really special on our hands and just hope that gamers take notice.

Platforms: PC, Mac and iPad
Tentative Release Date: June 2013

Upvote us on Steam Greenlight

Official Website

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:38:22 PM by ajrs84 » Logged

Antharion Lead Dev
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:33:38 PM »

Looks pretty neat!

The only thing I feel iffy about is the approach to the graphics (in the pictures you posted). I'm not saying they're bad, they're real nice, but the style looks too similar to the MMORPG game Tibia. The colors and designs of the walls and ground tiles look like a 3D version of Tibia's tiles.

Also, it would be cool if the lighting was slightly colored to boost the atmosphere and mood of the dungeons. The torches that hang on the walls especially feel strange because they're emitting white light and not a yellowish orange light.

ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »

Looks pretty neat!

The only thing I feel iffy about is the approach to the graphics (in the pictures you posted). I'm not saying they're bad, they're real nice, but the style looks too similar to the MMORPG game Tibia. The colors and designs of the walls and ground tiles look like a 3D version of Tibia's tiles.

Also, it would be cool if the lighting was slightly colored to boost the atmosphere and mood of the dungeons. The torches that hang on the walls especially feel strange because they're emitting white light and not a yellowish orange light.

I hadn't heard of Tibia, but looked it up on google images and I can't really see any similarities between the two styles. There is colored lighting (hence the orange hue in the town screenshot), I just didn't have it active in the dungeon screenshot.

Antharion Lead Dev
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:45:23 AM »

Hope you have better luck in this forum Wink

Looks like something I'd be totally into.

Saw the interview on the Codex and mention on RPS Katchup, hope those helped.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:13:13 AM »

I hadn't heard of Tibia, but looked it up on google images and I can't really see any similarities between the two styles. There is colored lighting (hence the orange hue in the town screenshot), I just didn't have it active in the dungeon screenshot.

Yea, you're right, I see little similarities now. Maybe it's just that it reminded me of Tibia, since I used to play when I was younger, and it made me feel they were similar. But no matter, the graphics are cool. Hope to see this go through to the end!

ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:07:26 AM »

Hope you have better luck in this forum Wink

Looks like something I'd be totally into.

Saw the interview on the Codex and mention on RPS Katchup, hope those helped.

Thanks, things have really picked up for us lately and we've accumulated a ton of extremely passionate backers.

Antharion Lead Dev
Manuel777
Level 0

Indie rocks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »

Nice, reminds me a lot to Diablo 2 and other contemporaneous RPG's. And by the description it seems alot like then too! (wich is not a bad thing, its actually pretty cool)

ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »

Nice, reminds me a lot to Diablo 2 and other contemporaneous RPG's. And by the description it seems alot like then too! (wich is not a bad thing, its actually pretty cool)

Thanks, I was inspired by a multitude of different games including Diablo, however, Antharion is actually much closer in spirit to far older games like Ultima, Wizardry and Pool of Radiance.

Antharion Lead Dev
ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 01:51:36 PM »

Here a are a couple of additional screenshots that reflect several recent advances:

We just implemented female avatars and are working hard to adapt versions of each armor for the female body. We're also considering adding an option for smaller heads. It seems that big heads in a western RPG is a very divisive issue.

Antharion Lead Dev
ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »

Thanks guys. Yeah the lighting is very similar do Diablo 2's except with way more dynamic shadows.

Is that the game's music playing in the vid?

No, it's a royalty free piece I purchased off of ShockwaveSound specifically for the video. We're planning on doing a totally original soundtrack and are currently in talks with a few composers.

Antharion Lead Dev
ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 01:41:54 AM »

Today's the last day of Antharion's Kickstarter. To celebrate we added a

showing some more in depth combat and environmental stuff.

Antharion Lead Dev
Uykered
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 01:50:07 AM »

This looks pretty cool. Does it have permadeath?
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 05:21:36 AM »

it's nice, but i have to agree with the big head issue. it doesn't look natural, it looks like someone just wearing a big head mask. but then the problem doesn't really happen with your monster or character with helmet on(like the one character with helmet with horn, or robe with hood), it only happen with the character that didn't wear anything on their head.

maybe you can fix it by resprite the head, or tune down the size of their head? choice is yours.

ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »

Currently we have permadeath as an option, but that may or may not get removed before the final version. We're also considering scaling down head size or at least providing an option for smaller heads.

Antharion Lead Dev
ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 02:01:54 AM »

We just relaunched Antharion's Kickstarter and are doing pretty well, 78% funded in less than 3 days.

New Antharion Kickstarter

In the meantime we've been working really hard to improve the graphical quality. Also, do to popular demand, we shrunk all of the avatar heads in addition to making female avatars for each race and adapting all existing clothing for them.

We also created 3 new videos, all of which are on our Kickstarter page. The 1st is a standard trailer, the 2nd shows an entire battle from start to finish and the 3rd demonstrates character creation.

Antharion on Steam Greenlight
Antharion Facebook

Antharion Twitter
Orphic Software

Antharion Lead Dev
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 05:54:26 AM »

Glad to see this doing so well this time Smiley

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 06:07:59 AM »

Whole problem with heads is that they are realistic compared to whole body. Proportion change works only if you simplify all features, if not, it looks like creepy uncanny valley dwarfs.
ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »

Whole problem with heads is that they are realistic compared to whole body. Proportion change works only if you simplify all features, if not, it looks like creepy uncanny valley dwarfs.

It's only a problem if it doesn't appeal personally to you.

Antharion Lead Dev
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 02:11:15 AM »

the people freak me out

ajrs84
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 04:07:34 AM »

the people freak me out

It's probably just that your eyes need a little time to adjust to the non-monochromatic sprites.

Antharion Lead Dev
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic