Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 06:30:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsSports Compo - General Discussion
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sports Compo - General Discussion  (Read 35695 times)
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »

I think that this would be a better place for discussion, so that the Rules thread won't get cluttered with rules-unrelated talking.

You can make this sticky.
IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »

Can I start at 12am in sweden?
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 02:52:12 PM »

Yes.

IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:53:42 PM »

Yes.

So I can start in seven minutes?
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:54:23 PM »

Oddball sounds like a great sport

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »

I wouldn't be worried about an hour here or there. The whole idea of the compo is to just go out there and make a game, so I don't think anyone will care.

mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »

I wasn't sure if I should make a separate thread for this or just post here, but here goes.

I have a ton of awesome ideas that I'm never going to have time to make, so if you are uninspired but want to make a game feel free to steal one of these.

Also, I apologize in advance for some of the offensive content, the adult/education has permanently scarred my ability to come up with unoffensive games.  Well, hello there! Hand Shake Right

Ideas:
  • Fake Soccer Injury: The Video Game - The game begins with your player getting checked and going into a ragdoll state. You have to control the ragdoll to make the most painful looking injury possible.
  • Breast Volleyball - A satire of DoA volleyball, or just a perverse game. The arrow keys control the player, AWSD control your giant breasts which rotate and flail wildly. You can only hit the ball with your breasts.
  • Buzkashi: The Video Game - A real variation on Polo played in East-Asia using a headless goat carcass. First you have to kill a goat, then you have to win the match.
  • The Marathon - QWOP meets desert bus. You control your character's right and left legs, you must run consistently for the actual amount of time it would take to complete a marathon.
  • Little League Dads - A fighting game. Build your rage while watching the little league game, once your rage/booze meter is full, pick a fight with another dad. Fight to the death.
  • Cyborg Paralympics - Manage a team of disabled athletes. As they win events, you can buy more and more advanced prosthetics, eventually giving them rocket legs/chairs/arms and other crazy bodymods.
  • Benched - Interactive novel/jrpg formula. You play the worst athlete on the team, you must successfully navigate through conversation trees with the coach to get played. You win when you get off the bench and into the game.
  • Zombie Bobsled - Compete in a bobsled match during the zombie apocalypse. Hitting zombies will slow your momentum, avoid them at all costs.
  • Pregnant Boxing - 'nuff said
  • Racecar Sponsor: The Video Game - get as many ads and endorsement deals on your teams car as possible. It doesn't matter if you win, you just gotta make a lot of money.
  • Zamboni Racer - Race to clean the ice fastest. Score counts both time and accuracy/coverage.
  • Bullfighting/Rodeo Game where you play the bull - I haven't completely though this one through....
  • Chinese Gymnast Olympic Coach: The Video Game - Recruit and train underage athletes. You must balance pressures from the government, the athlete's skill, and their morale. Something terrible happens if you lose.

Again, I encourage stealing any of these ideas. It would be nice if you credit me if/when the game gets done, but I won't be upset if you don't.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »

yay
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 06:28:35 PM »

Would chess count as a sport?
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »

I actually Google'd that for you, and it seems like the answer varies from person to person.

buhbuhcuh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 07:00:19 PM »

It does if you use REAL PEOPLE!

Add: and the players are the supercomputers who rule the pieces's dystopian future.
threesided
Pixelhead
Level 5

derp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »

Well, I'm gonna say it does count! Whatever, it's in the spirit of sport!
Ashkin
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »

I think that counts as a 'mind sport' which is kind of not a sport. Things that involve physical contact (usually) and promote physical fitness over mental fitness are sports. Just have the chess pieces be sweaty men grappling each other and you should be fine.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 02:17:41 AM »

You guys need to stop worrying about the rules and start making games. Remember this is a TIGCompo, and nobody cares about the rules. If Rom Check Fail can win the random name generator compo without actually using the random name generator then I don't think people will care about someone starting seven minutes early, or if chess is a sport or not.

Just make games and be merry.  Beer!

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 03:01:38 AM »

I think that counts as a 'mind sport' which is kind of not a sport. Things that involve physical contact (usually) and promote physical fitness over mental fitness are sports. Just have the chess pieces be sweaty men grappling each other and you should be fine.

That means none of us are actually making sports games!  Shocked
what are we doing with ourselves O GAHD

WHERE'S PAUL ERES WHEN YOU NEED HIM
SURELY HIS SEMANTIC GENIUS CAN DISPEL THIS TERMOIL

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 10:50:57 AM »

There will probably be some quibbling over what actually constitutes a "sport." In my mind, most sports are defined by equally balanced teams. The teams in question can be a team of one. (Tennis) The actual conditions that each team faces usually have to be balanced as well. Success or failure has to be determined by how well each team can react to equal conditions.

In this respect, I would say that Chess probably qualifies. It is certainly a much more cerebral "sport." But it is based on two teams squaring off under equivalent circumstances. The abilities of the players determine the winner.

As long as a game adheres to these guidelines, I would say that everything is fine. If a game doesn't adhere to these guidelines, I think it should be required that it use the trappings of an existing sport. An example of this would be Punch-Out. Punch-Out is not about the sport of boxing, at its core it is a single player rhythm-puzzle game. But it uses the sport of boxing for its graphical trappings and tone.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 11:21:16 AM »

who

cares

HEY YOU CHESS ISNT A SPORT DISQUALIFIED, BANNED FOR LIFE

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »

as long as the govnment doesn't tries to force you to pay taxes for this sport it's okay with me

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 05:10:45 PM »

I AM SO EXCITED FOR COMPETITION

Hand Thumbs Up Left Crazy Hand Thumbs Up Right

hi
Kuppo
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

INSPIRATI0N