Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:40:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeGames you play to inspire you
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Games you play to inspire you  (Read 4515 times)
PogueSquadron
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »

I recently replayed Illusion of Gaia.

When I was a kid, this was the most epic game in the world. The instruction manual basically had a journal/walkthrough to help you on your way, and you traveled across the whole world. It really felt like you had gone a long way in your travels. It was spooky and mysterious, and touched on some pretty heavy subjects like slave labor, death, and starvation.

Flash forward now, and I still kind of get goosebumps at times. What sticks out like a sore thumb is that this game really doesn't make any sense at all. They seemingly make things up as they go along and don't bother explaining the connections from A to B. The writing is very abrupt, likely the problem of poor localization.

Honestly though? I love its little quirks for some reason. Maybe it's nostalgia glasses, but I feel like this game is very dreamlike. People say such weird things, and you zip across the world with very little explanation why. Someone will just say "I hear there are some ruins to the north. We should go check them out," and then the screen fades to black as you go to your next destination.

But yes, I feel like it's kind of dreamlike, because people just don't speak in this game like they do in real life. And you don't really question it. You hear them and move on, and accept your current situation for what it is. It's kind of like in a dream when things don't make sense....but they do because you've already moved on and you're just focusing on the "now."

I also miss action RPGs like this Sad. I wish we had more games like this and Terranigma and Secret of Mana and old 2D Zelda games. For the most part I think the greater emphasis on action and lower emphasis on stats/numbers helps me focus on what's going on in the story, and not get bogged down by all this other crap I don't care about. I want to be fighting monsters, not managing my inventory.
saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »

You bring up Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma and fail to mention Soul Blazer? It's a very simple game but it definitely trancends in a similar way.

PogueSquadron
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »

Yeah I actually haven't played Soul Blazer but I've seen gameplay, and it too seems like the kind of game I wish they still made.

They try to do things like Children of Mana or whatever but random dungeon crawlers aren't really the same to me as those finely crafted experiences with gripping stories.
RalenHlaalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:41 AM »

Morrowind, Boulderdash, and also platformers in general. I'm currently working on a game that will combine elements of all three.

IndieEmma
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:09 AM »

Hotline miami. Gameplay wise, the story was meh.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 09:18:17 AM »

This particular Super Metroid hack is a good example of distinct gameplay-elements in action.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ZeroExEffEff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »

GTA 2. Dreamcast.
theSchap
Level 0

Sleepwalker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »

I have an idea for a 2d survival/horror platformer, so I recently picked up Lone Survivor, and Home on Steam. I haven't touched Home yet, but so far Lone Survivor is fantastic. I also played through Mark of the Ninja as I often find a lot of inspiration in stealth games.
Delko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »

Wing War, Sega arcade game.

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »

Like Paul said, I learn something new from every game. I can't think of any that have been particularly inspirational in recent memory, although I'm sure they exist.

I'm actually more inspired by video games soundtracks, which I listen to frequently. I just recently discovered the YouTube channel VGMusicOfTheDay, whose playlists I leave up in another window while working when there's not a new TGS Podcast vod.
Lavendark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:32 AM »

I love playing Half Life 2 (plus Ep 1 + 2). I think they have such great atmosphere.
I also get a load of free indie games to play through to inspire me. One of my favourites has to be Gravity Bone.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 07:38:06 AM »

Demon's/Dark Souls

And for my current project, Castlevania SOTN and Chronicles.

davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 01:06:17 PM »

I don't actually play it, but I watch tons of multiplayer gameplay of Halo Reach and Halo 4 to inspire me for the current project. Which is not really materializing, but I have head full of ideas and visions.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic