Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:29:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingText-based multiplayer shooter
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Text-based multiplayer shooter  (Read 6236 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 03:42:06 AM »

Waaagh!

Just kidding. It's awesome. The traffic will eventually even out and normal operations will be resumed. I hope.

Drevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 04:02:49 AM »

Eigen, this game is incredibly funny. Great idea, congratulations!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 06:08:20 AM »

Eigen, this game is incredibly funny. Great idea, congratulations!

Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Also, if there's anyone in here that has an old or whatever server machine with a somewhat decent internet connection they're not really using and wouldn't mind me running my game server on it, I'd love to hear from you Smiley

Okay, I'll try upgrading my web server first. Perhaps that helps, if not, then I'll reconsider my options.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:46:24 AM by Eigen » Logged

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 03:54:58 AM »

You also got on Rock, Paper, Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/06/war-of-the-words-text-based-multiplayer-shooter/

Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 07:29:10 AM »

We cleared this up and he was in fact kidding, referring to some Danish web article, and naming the video so it would be found by more people. Beer!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:53:47 AM by Eigen » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »

This is the first and last time I'll ever do something with multiplayer. Trying to manage the hackers and trolls is just not worth it. They ruin everything. Why are some people such idiots ... are they bored or what? Sad

Single player is so much easier. If those idiots want to ruin the game they'll only ruin their own. And who cares about that.

Avgudar
Level 0

AVGUDAR

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 02:29:36 PM »

Is that why I take 98 damage as soon as I step into a room?

Avgudar avgudar gudar
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 02:31:36 PM »

This is the first and last time I'll ever do something with multiplayer. Trying to manage the hackers and trolls is just not worth it. They ruin everything. Why are some people such idiots ... are they bored or what? Sad
I've always wondered the same thing. But it's just part of working a multiplayer game. It helps to give players the ability to host their own servers and ban people that are hacking and/or trolling. It certainly doesn't end such problems, but it at least gives people a means of protecting their game. Password protection alone runs off a few people because if there's a server that's password protected right next to one that isn't, why should they waste the effort figuring out the password? Even if they're "hacking", who says they have the means to get the password?

Yeah, just some thoughts, but overall, I do understand the damper it puts on developing online multiplayer games.

At the same time, though, online multiplayer games bring unique experiences that single-player games never can. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »

Lol @Eigen, you're crazy man..

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 10:47:12 PM »

Is that why I take 98 damage as soon as I step into a room?

If the room was full then it's not unusual to get hit from several directions at once, even if you just (re)spawned.

johnki, you're right, the experiences are unique but providing an infrastructure that provides fair play to everyone is rather difficult. I mean it wouldn't be if you put all sorts of validation steps on the server side and never trust the player at all, but in my case the server is strained as it is so I'm hesitant to add any more database queries etc. Luckily, most of the time people are playing nice, it's just some punks that come by occasionally that cause trouble. Damn them punks and their hipping and their hopping and their hacking at them electronic computers!

eigenbom, I'm your regular crazy fool!

B.A. does not approve:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:35:44 AM by Eigen » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 04:59:06 AM »

After numerous articles and features (I've lost count), 30,000 users have registred and 90,000 frags have been counted and it's still going strong. A few days ago I added some new features such as inventory and searching bodies for munition and health packages. Don't feel like developing it much further but it's still fun to watch people play. And even join in myself occasionally though I pretty much suck because as Avgudar said:

Too bad I type slower than molasses.

Anyway I'm back on Pioneers for now, yay!

I might write a short summary some time about the whole experience, what went right and what I did wrong and why this was worth the time after all.

If you haven't played it yet, please do. It's a lot of fun, I promise Smiley

Play

dtrexgaming
Level 0

Get ready to Get Erekt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 07:35:46 PM »

Are you working on this any more? Also what engine did you create this in. Finally if you need any help on this or your not working on it I can help develop it
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:10 AM »

Are you working on this any more?

No. At some point I might implement a single-player training camp kind of thing where you can practice against bots but not right now, I just don't have time for that. That would make the game playable even when there aren't other players around.

Also what engine did you create this in. Finally if you need any help on this or your not working on it I can help develop it

There's no engine, it's just some fancy HTML+CSS with an input field and bunch of JavaScript to handle everything. Back-end is similarly simple with a bunch of MySQL queries.

And thanks for the offer but since I'm not working on it anymore there's not much to do. Feel free to remake the game with proper tech on the back-end, that is a litte dedicated server application instead of just webservices. That would allow putting some actual meat in the game with more game-modes, weapons and whatnot.

dtrexgaming
Level 0

Get ready to Get Erekt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 05:53:22 PM »

Would you mind releasing the source code for this so I could add more elements.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic