Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:27:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsCorrida with unicorns [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Corrida with unicorns [FINISHED]  (Read 38392 times)
claudiom
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:56:01 AM »

______________________ BRIEF DESCRIPTION ______________________

Unicorrida is a 2D arcade game where you are the "Matador" which has to strike down 6 different type of unicorns! Each unicorn has an unique behaviour which makes the player adapt to its combat style every time!
Fight unicorns with Cape and Banderillas and collect Rainbows they drop to unlock and improve the "Matador" abilities (Speed, Life, Attack).
Try it now
[Flash player required]

______________________ DEVLOG ______________________

As development goes forward we'll post updates here just to have a summary for first time readers and for lazy people who don't want to scroll down  Beer!

5th November - Started the project with brainstorming.

10th November - First art concepts and basic player movements

15th November - Unicorn can hurt player but player can't :D No match logic implemented

19-20th November - Added first sort of tutorial level and second level. Implemented player attack with banderillas and cape. Added a lot of animations.

20th November - Changed tutorial to make it more useful, Changed key mapping, Removed bonus multiplier string which is now represented as unicorn sweat.

25th November - Level selection and player progress persistance, Character Skill Upgrade system.

29th November - Finished all unicorn behaviours. Polished menu and title screen.

30th November - First stable deployable build with no sound.

30th November (Late Night) - Added in game sounds (btw still to polish). Polished cape and banderilla icons. Small bugfixes.
Try it now [Flash player required]

______________________ ORIGINAL POST ______________________

Me and my brother had an idea about bullfighting with unicorns and we're looking for an artist (and also a unicorn for reference  Big Laff ).

The game will be mainly arcade set into a magical arena where one or two players act as a matador and have to dodge the unicorn and make him cry rainbow tears.

This is our basic idea, for sure we will add power ups, should we have enough time we will also add a "story" mode in which the player progresses until becoming the king of unicorns.

We'll start prototyping the game as soon as we can, in the meanwhile let us know what you think about our idea and tell us if you're interested in helping with graphics.

P.S. The game will be developed in Flash
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:01:55 PM by claudiom » Logged

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 06:40:15 AM »

I'm picturing a heavenly matador (torero?) battling a celestial unicorn. Each banderilla planted makes the unicorn leak more rainbows until, eventually, the unicorn explodes in a flurry of glitter and candy raining down into the upturned mouths of fat little children.

Sanojian
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 10:52:47 PM »

That image could use more pink.  His hat is like not pink at all.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:43:56 AM »

Unicorrida would make a nice title. Or maybe... Unicorrnida?

claudiom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 08:59:09 AM »

Unicorrida would make a nice title. Or maybe... Unicorrnida?

Thanks for the idea, we also think that Unicorrida it's an awesome name and we'll probably use it.

I'm picturing a heavenly matador (torero?) battling a celestial unicorn. Each banderilla planted makes the unicorn leak more rainbows until, eventually, the unicorn explodes in a flurry of glitter and candy raining down into the upturned mouths of fat little children.

Yeah, you're in the right mood, we were thinking on something very close to your description! Are you by change interested on helping us to bring life to this idea?

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »

It's official, I've teamed up with Alcapa Games to do the art for the game. I'm pretty pumped to be working with these guys. I'm still trying to find an art style, but here is a little something that I cooked up working on concepts:

BULL UNICORN ATTACK!

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »

aw yeah!
claudiom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »

Just a little update on what's going on here.
You can try our first very embrional build of the game here (Flash Game, no install required)

Obviously the art is work in progress and at the moment you can only escape from the unicorn avoiding to be hit. The unicorn AI is very simple, during the development process we will add different behaviour that will be distributed during the various levels.

Even if it is a very basic version of the game, feedbacks and suggestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:25:45 AM by claudiom » Logged

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:30:46 AM »

Here is what the current version looks like. I still have quite a bit of art to do...

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »

The character / background are cool, the title and text are terrible.
Just saying, I know it's a work in progress.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 05:32:24 PM »

cirocontinisio takes his unicorns very seriously.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

I've been hard at work on breathing life into this little guy. Comments/crits welcome.  Smiley

As pointed out, still more art to do...

Mallus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 05:20:40 AM »

Very nice animations. Curious about the gameplay now.
claudiom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »

Ok guys. We've worked hard this weekend and finally a decent but not yet finished version is available. Click on the screenshot to play and (I hope) enjoy it  Smiley

CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 03:02:52 AM »

My feedback [WARNING - SPOILERS]:

- It's not clear that you must defeat the first Unicorn without using the banderillas. I tried to stab him several times, and it didn't work.
- I won only by using the cape like 11 times, which is a lot for the first stage. I'd lower it to something like 5 in a row, it's tedious to do it again if you're good and you lost with a later Unicorn. You know the classic... if the player is good, he should be able to go fast in the first levels.
- I don't like the rainbow icons: they are too iconic compared with the rest of the graphics.
- Love the matador.

claudiom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 10:25:28 AM »

After feedbacks collected I made some changes on the game.

Here you can try the new version which includes:

- Changed tutorial to make it more useful
- Changed key mapping
- Removed bonus multiplier string which is now represented as unicorn sweat.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:26:23 AM by claudiom » Logged

Mallus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 05:15:25 AM »

I took me down a couple of those evil angry unicorns. And it was good. Just needs more angry angry unicorns, that maybe jump, and dodge, etc.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 12:59:14 AM »

Working on new arena art. I'm happy. Time to sleep.  Tired

claudiom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 07:15:49 AM »

Okay guys, development is going at full speed and we expect to finish the game on time, but I just realized that our game is w/o sound  Concerned

Is anyone willing to help us with sound? I think we just need a background loop and some fx like player being hit, unicorn being hit with one of the two different weapons and some winner/lose sound effect..

If someone is interested please reply to this post or contact me with a PM. Thank you Wink

claudiom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 03:32:05 PM »

Implemented level selection menu with skill upgade. Yeah folks, in this game you'll have to collect unicorn's rainbow-shaped blood to upgrade your character skills. As you can see in the following screenshot there are 3 skills (Attack, Speed, Life) with 3 level for every skill.

Only "few" things left:
  - New unicorns (4 left, the yellow one is not yet implemented)
  - Find a proper name for the game
  - Refine weapon spawn logic

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic