Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:20:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAvant-Garde - Artist RPG in modernist Paris - Alpha released!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Avant-Garde - Artist RPG in modernist Paris - Alpha released!  (Read 20707 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 09:27:45 PM »

I am going to be the thread asshole and wonder what's so exciting for everyone about menu based management over public domain paintings, but good luck anyway

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »

I am going to be the thread asshole and wonder what's so exciting for everyone about menu based management over public domain paintings, but good luck anyway

We all like to play artists.

(though I still have a wish for the painting feature)

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 03:52:17 AM »

What's wrong with menu based management games?
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »

It is true that the game is actually just a bunch of menus. But when you strip most games of the eyecandy and awesomeness, they're all "just clicking" or "just pressing keys". The menu-based nature has bothered me, though, and if you have any suggestions I am open to them.

These "public domain paintings" you cite are artworks of the transition between academism and modernism. Sure pixel art is cool and stuff, but these are the masterpieces of realism, impressionism and other avant-garde movements. These paintings are beautiful and interesting, public domain or not. And most people haven't seen them, I'm sure you'll agree there's at least one painting in this thread that you weren't aware of. If I can bring these paintings to people's attention through this game, that's good enough for me.

If my menus are fun and engaging to play through interesting gameplay, immersion and characters, that would be great. I'm aiming for that.

We all like to play artists.

(though I still have a wish for the painting feature)

Not coming. I rather learn from past mistakes rather than making them again. Jonathan Blow tried it, it wasn't fun. Too much effort and time for the player. This is why creating a painting is as easy as you see in the last gif.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »

now that I think about the game, I'm starting to think it can be interesting, my initial reaction was due to the fact that I always cringe when I see a game that use old famous paintings as background, generally the game itself is totally crappy .
I can start to see the point of your game now, I was just a bit intrigued by the over-the-top enthusiasm displayed by other forum members.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »

now that I think about the game, I'm starting to think it can be interesting, my initial reaction was due to the fact that I always cringe when I see a game that use old famous paintings as background, generally the game itself is totally crappy .
I can start to see the point of your game now, I was just a bit intrigued by the over-the-top enthusiasm displayed by other forum members.

The good reception has always surprised me. I don't know if it's the unique historical setting that excites people so much.

I didn't expect enthusiasm when I started, I was aiming for a niche within a niche. But it seems this game could be widely played. I guess that's true for any game, as long as it's engaging.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »

How is this going?

play hydlide 2
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »

How is this going?

As of today, it's back in development.

It was on hold in November while I made For King, which was a GitHub Game Off runner-up. Then I started a new job in December and then took a 10-day trip. Just got back and now Avant-Garde will be resumed.

My goal is to have at least an alpha version, preferably beta, done by March.

Here's a screenshot without any progress whatsoever:

Screenshots with actual progress will be provided as soon as it is made, which is hopefully soon!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »

How is this going?

As of today, it's back in development.

It was on hold in November while I made For King, which was a GitHub Game Off runner-up. Then I started a new job in December and then took a 10-day trip. Just got back and now Avant-Garde will be resumed.

My goal is to have at least an alpha version, preferably beta, done by March.

Here's a screenshot without any progress whatsoever:

Screenshots with actual progress will be provided as soon as it is made, which is hopefully soon!

I'm an amazing artist!

play hydlide 2
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »

Working on stat increase through studying. Progress bars should fill up, then the number increases and the progress bar resets. I'll work on a gif when I have it done.

Also made the study options reflect the academic training more accurately. First students copy drawings, then sculptures and casts, and finally life drawing from nude models.

Edit: the gif!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:49:01 PM by AD1337 » Logged

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »

Trying to make the stat increases nicer. There is still stuff missing, such as info on what each study is and does.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 03:31:18 AM »

Glad to see this is still going strong!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »

Glad to see this is still going strong!

Well, it is going!

Added leftovers bar after a skill is improved, and red bar when a skill decreases.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 10:04:31 AM »

I like this, not only because of the interesting concept, but because I really like RPGs where you pick flaw(s) in character creation.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »

I like this, not only because of the interesting concept, but because I really like RPGs where you pick flaw(s) in character creation.
Awesome! I'm thinking of redoing character creation to make it more immersive. So instead of picking numbers you'd answer some questions about your past (where you were born, if you are a child of poor farmers or rich aristocrats) and personality. But that's for later!

For now, I'm working on making the 19th century paintings of the backgrounds come to life, so it feels like you're there, in them.

My latest test includes parallax layers and blur focus, try here moving the cursor around the screen and over the couple or over the background:
http://www.fastswf.com/gEIIiV4
I was testing with higher resolution images as well, but then the blur gives poor performance:
http://www.fastswf.com/VBpT4Ew

Malky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »

That's nice!

Maybe try making the blur effect a little faster?  It felt (to me) that it took slightly too long to 'adjust'.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »

That's nice!

Maybe try making the blur effect a little faster?  It felt (to me) that it took slightly too long to 'adjust'.
Thanks for the feedback! I've made it a bit faster: http://www.fastswf.com/MZ1svYQ

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 11:45:38 PM »

What is this wizardy?
I never understood how people could 'cut up' another's art and fill in the empty spots with art that matches the original work

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 05:12:26 AM »

What is this wizardy?
I never understood how people could 'cut up' another's art and fill in the empty spots with art that matches the original work
Photoshop. Well, I did that rather poorly and quickly. In the final one I'd spend more time making it impossible to distinguish between my paintover and the original.

For now, I'm experimenting with the possibility. Here's a version that includes the game's UI:
http://www.fastswf.com/-r97hrs

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 06:12:44 AM »

Awesome idea, love the classy feel to the GUI.
The blur and parallax idea is very nice, but I think it would look better if you decreased or even removed the vertical scrolling. Since people move sideways but it's not often you move up or downwards. (if you want to simulate a person looking/walking across a scene)
Also, I think less is more, you don't want it to pull focus from the GUI and gameplay itself.

And I have to say, this makes me really excited too!
I love historical settings, especially if you get the right feel and atmosphere.
This could be really immersive with some subtle background chatter and laughing in the café, people walking and chatting on the streets, bells, etc.

Will you be featuring events and happenings, through like a news paper or something, that has an overall effect on gameplay? Like allowing you to paint something with a new theme, like a social commentary or criticism on society.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic