Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1067276 Posts in 43576 Topics- by 35617 Members - Latest Member: xenixl

November 28, 2014, 05:16:54 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsAvant-Garde - Artist RPG in modernist Paris - Alpha released!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Avant-Garde - Artist RPG in modernist Paris - Alpha released!  (Read 12334 times)
AD1337
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »

New image for paintings in Avant-Garde. The back of a canvas is a recurring representation of an unknown painting (see the background!). Also added icons for Salon results (R for refused and medals):

thersus
Level 0

Sometimes I'm grumpy, sometimes I'm not.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »

I liked this so much that I will show it to my History of Art teacher. :D

Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2013, 10:38:59 PM »

I plan to spam my former school facebook when there is more image Well, hello there!

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
AD1337
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2013, 12:48:24 PM »

The first alpha is out!

Play it here: http://playavantgarde.com/

There is way too much stuff to do still, but I thought people might want to play with it. My deadline is today anyway.

thersus
Level 0

Sometimes I'm grumpy, sometimes I'm not.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »

Man, this is great, I'm showing to all my former university colleagues and professors hahaha

VirusN
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

AGDGism sounds like a movement where artists procrastinate a lot and always start meaningless discussions on which type of paint is the best for art.

water based > oil based >>>>>>>> java
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2013, 01:40:43 PM »

Would an aspiring artist not too interested in the game part get enjoyment out of seeing this play out the way it's laid out or is this about hardcore micro management or something? Just curious, doesn't seem like it's a game for me but it could make for a nice gift for a friend.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Ant
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »

I only played for a short while but it seemed pretty much just stat management. It's only the alpha though so hopefully that might change - would be cool if the history of the age was entwined, such as witnessing the birth of famous art pieces.
AD1337
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »

Would an aspiring artist not too interested in the game part get enjoyment out of seeing this play out the way it's laid out or is this about hardcore micro management or something? Just curious, doesn't seem like it's a game for me but it could make for a nice gift for a friend.

Maybe, I don't know. The game is free.

I only played for a short while but it seemed pretty much just stat management. It's only the alpha though so hopefully that might change - would be cool if the history of the age was entwined, such as witnessing the birth of famous art pieces.

You're right. There are a few historical events and they allow you to paint in new styles.

Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »

AGDGism sounds like a movement where artists procrastinate a lot and always start meaningless discussions on which type of paint is the best for art.
I'm afraid the correct name is GIMYMism

Seiseki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2013, 05:14:42 PM »

The game is free? Wow..
Such quality work for free, that's crazy Wink

You should try selling school licenses though!

AD1337
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

The game is free? Wow..
Such quality work for free, that's crazy Wink

You should try selling school licenses though!

The game isn't very good. I don't think anyone should buy it.

But you can still play it here: http://playavantgarde.com/ (reposting the link for the new page)

Seiseki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2013, 05:47:53 PM »

I tried playing it but I suck Sad
Not very good? I thought it was awesome! Despite my failure to become a famous artist :D

Edit:

It does feel a bit random though, because I have a hard time knowing what to do and why..

It should be more clear what you gain from the studies in the academy.

The gui for making paintings should point out more clearly what the stats used for the selected work are and your stats in relation. Right now the text is quite small and it's really hard to compare.

And possibly make it easier to make paintings, making the selection smoother/faster, by adding larger buttons or clickable icons.
Remembering your last choices or having a default choice would speed it up too, if you're only using paper and ink for example, you'd only have to select two other options.

edit2: Wow, when you get a painting accepted into the salon, you get a huge money boost.
Other than the salon though, I think it's quite hard to get publicity.
And those bastards kept refusing my art nouveau self-portrait master pieces, yet when I paint something excellent or superb in realism they're all over it..

Would be nice to have a time line next to the date, so you can see how far away the salon submission is.
I always manage to miss it unless I have a master piece that I've saved..

Really looking forward to new events and such.
Also, is there a point to doing paintings with low demand?

As I said earlier, there should be a more clear causes and effects.
For example, I have no idea what the perks and flaws actually do, nor why some things are high in demand and others aren't.

And I keep clicking different combinations to see which ones are high in demand.
Would be nice if it was easier to see. Something subtle like making the text bold for stuff that is more popular.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:22:20 AM by Seiseki » Logged

Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2013, 07:12:28 AM »

I tried playing it but I suck Sad
Not very good? I thought it was awesome! Despite my failure to become a famous artist :D

Edit:

It does feel a bit random though, because I have a hard time knowing what to do and why..

It should be more clear what you gain from the studies in the academy.

The gui for making paintings should point out more clearly what the stats used for the selected work are and your stats in relation. Right now the text is quite small and it's really hard to compare.

And possibly make it easier to make paintings, making the selection smoother/faster, by adding larger buttons or clickable icons.
Remembering your last choices or having a default choice would speed it up too, if you're only using paper and ink for example, you'd only have to select two other options.

edit2: Wow, when you get a painting accepted into the salon, you get a huge money boost.
Other than the salon though, I think it's quite hard to get publicity.
And those bastards kept refusing my art nouveau self-portrait master pieces, yet when I paint something excellent or superb in realism they're all over it..

Would be nice to have a time line next to the date, so you can see how far away the salon submission is.
I always manage to miss it unless I have a master piece that I've saved..

Really looking forward to new events and such.
Also, is there a point to doing paintings with low demand?

As I said earlier, there should be a more clear causes and effects.
For example, I have no idea what the perks and flaws actually do, nor why some things are high in demand and others aren't.

And I keep clicking different combinations to see which ones are high in demand.
Would be nice if it was easier to see. Something subtle like making the text bold for stuff that is more popular.

Congrats you had perfectly real life art making, this game is a perfect simulation!

AD1337
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2013, 09:10:34 AM »

snip

Thanks for the feedback, those are all relevant points. Thanks for playing!

Seiseki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2013, 02:36:02 PM »

I could totally see this as a board game btw Smiley

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2013, 02:29:45 AM »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/06/can-art-be-games-avant-garde/

dude! gz  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

AD1337
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2013, 09:03:06 AM »

Thanks!

I haven't even read that yet, I can't bring myself to do it, I get nervous.

So what happened was I contacted the guy who does "Live Free, Play Hard" on RPS to suggest the game for that series, and I thought it might be featured with about 5 other games, but I never expected a dedicated blog post.

It's cool but I'm in shock.

Sean Hogan (seagaia)
Level 10

Coupons

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »

Ooh, cool Smiley go into the comments and talk with some of the people there!

Seiseki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »

Nice article! This game could get a lot of publicity due to how niche it is!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic