Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1029005 Posts in 41339 Topics- by 32939 Members - Latest Member: 21pens

August 01, 2014, 08:29:22 PM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsSportsScreaming Snakeball [FINISHED] (now for Linux too)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Screaming Snakeball [FINISHED] (now for Linux too)  (Read 7595 times)
johnki
Level 9

Invisi-wizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 11:26:38 PM »

Downloaded. I'm so trying this out later tonight. Probably the most interesting version of Pong I've seen in a while.

NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 02:46:06 AM »

I'm also having some issues on windows 7 64bit. When I run the game, I'm greeted with some nice colored squares that spiral out. After this there is only ever a grey screen. I can move the mouse around, but the cursor only appears within a rectangle about 1/4 the screen size in the center. I can click around in here a few times, but some locations seem to crash the game. Pressing Enter or Escape also seem to crash the game.
Thanks for the debug text. I think it indicates the game was crashing because it was trying to select the wrong default audio device. I've uploaded a new version that should make a more sensible choice (and also not crash if it does pick the wrong device). Could you tell me if that fixes the problem?

This version also writes more debug info about the audio device setup, which will hopefully help me narrow down the problem if it does persist despite these changes.

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 09:46:51 AM »

I tried the newest version, and it still doesn't work.
The game runs, I got an intro animation (pink squares..) then black screen until I press something, then what seems to be the playfield but no snakes on it. (I tried to do a screenshot, but weirdly, it screenshoot the intro screen instead o_O) I tried shooting, nothing. Il tried playing with the arrow keys and WASD and it "seems" to do something, because sometimes, I hear some whispering sounds and some flickering lights like in your gameplay video, and sometimes, I hear the countdown again (like if the party was won or lost).
I think my computer got some graphic card problem but I never faced this kind of problem before.
To put it in a nutshell : it seems the game works correctly, except that the snakes are invisible.:/

I got no error messahe to report since the game doesn't crash.
I hope it helps.

NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 01:21:13 PM »

To put it in a nutshell : it seems the game works correctly, except that the snakes are invisible.:/

I got no error messahe to report since the game doesn't crash.
I hope it helps.
Huh. That's a new one for me. It suggests your computer is maybe having trouble with some of the opengl extensions the default renderer is using. Did you try passing it -d GLImmediateDrawer on the command line? It would really help if you could post the log file that gets generated with the --debug flag.

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »

I eventually got what you wanted me to do! At last!
So I tried the debug mode but couldn't find any debug log file :/ (maybe I did this wrong)
BUT : with ScreamingSnakeball-sdl2.0.exe -d GLImmediateDrawer, it worked just fine! The game seems really fun! Now I just have to find another player and a supporting crowd! Thank you!

Fromage de Soja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 11:58:01 PM »

Could you tell me if that fixes the problem?

It works! Nice job!
goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 05:00:01 AM »

I've managed to push one player into the goal and he disappeared... Shocked

NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 07:03:06 AM »

I eventually got what you wanted me to do! At last!
So I tried the debug mode but couldn't find any debug log file :/ (maybe I did this wrong)
BUT : with ScreamingSnakeball-sdl2.0.exe -d GLImmediateDrawer, it worked just fine! The game seems really fun! Now I just have to find another player and a supporting crowd! Thank you!
Cool Smiley The log file should have appeared in your home directory (e.g. C:\Users\<user name>), but if not don't worry. Though I am curious about what it was that caused the not-drawing thing Undecided

I've managed to push one player into the goal and he disappeared... Shocked
The front corners of the goals can be a little glitchy at times. I thought I'd fixed that though Angry

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 08:50:42 AM »

I like games with unusual control systems. I wasn't able to test with two microphones but the other modes were certainly fun. It reminded me somewhat of Haxball, which isn't a bad thing. Excellent game and compo entry. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

arcsin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »

whoa! what a surprise! very well done.
I really like the UI and graphics and also the sound effects (the whispers of whispering Snakeball are really cool).
This is one of my favorites, however there are still a lot of games in this compo that I Like (the first version of our game is not among them Smiley).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:55:31 PM by arcsin » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic