Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:03:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlug GB- gameboy-themed platformer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flug GB- gameboy-themed platformer!  (Read 5211 times)
MrPaco
Level 0

"What for dinner?"

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »

Greetings all. A friend of mine referred me to this site, and told me to share my latest game, which is nearing completion.
It's called Flug GB and it's a classic platformer that stars the character Flug the Slug, which was created by another friend of mine and used by our whole community, Martin2k as our mascot.
We're a little game design community, making simple games and troubleshooting each other's work.

I've come here to spread the word a bit, and for some more feedback on this game.

It started originally as an entry to a friend's video game demake competition, I found it to be a lot of fun and came up with this:

I loved the idea so much that I eventually went on to create a game based off of the mockup, following a restricted color palette (5 colors), tile based design (14x14 px), authentic 8bit music and sound effects, and a general understanding of gameplay mechanics that were common with gameboy titles. The game follows a part Sonic/ part Mario style of playing. No 360 engines or running fast, but character themes reflect those of Sonic, and the gameplay more like Mario, running and jumping onto robotic enemies and fighting the evil Spudnik, who controls the robotic army and mass produces them at his smog-laden factory.
Spudnik uses a flying machine that is constantly modified to suit the new machine he's built, which isn't unlike a certain villain from Sonic. haha
In the latest versions of the game series, his craft has changed to not look so much like Robotnik's craft.

So far, Flug has been in 6 games, plus a couple more that some of us at Martin2k have been working on for a collaboration project. He's a really popular character. Smiley
Flug GB started out strong back in the day...around 2008, and should've been done within that same year. Although life and things got in the way, and it stretched out to 2010 until I dropped the project until just about 3 months ago. I picked up where I left off, modified the engine and game mechanics with my new knowledge and began making progress for the first time in years. I'm quite glad where the project has gotten to now.

Anyways, for this game, it follows a usual Flug theme: Spudnik appears with a new army and attempts to overrun the world of Bugtonia with brute force and machines.

Flug travels across several different worlds, while beating back the evil Spudnik and his army and collecting gems that will aid him in his quest.
The worlds range from forests to sewers, a large city, Spudnik's flying fortress, a fiery volcano, and even Spudnik's factory headquarters.

There are even bonus stages available, if the player manages to collect all the gems in a world.
You can collect diamonds, destroy enemies, or even play a memory match game to collect more lives.

There's even more bonus content available if you collect all 1000 of the gems.
Do you have what it takes?

Don't fret if you feel like you don't. haha You can always replay the worlds once you complete the game, so you can earn 100% and access the extra game.

The game has been designed to keep the player entertained as well as challenged, with dynamic level designs, and crafty boss matches against Spudnik.
So far, I would imagine if a player were to give the game a shot and explore everything fully and try to get every gem, it would easily allow for over an hour of playtime, which I think really says something for a one-man-team designing a game like this.

Here's some new video footage...
My channel paco19900

...and an older trailer for you guys to check out. (from our Martin2k YouTube channel)

In addition to this game being available for PC, I think I may actually be able to make a Mac version of this game, using the Java exporter in my MMF2 program. I will also be releasing this game on the iPhone/iPod, but I don't think it'll be available on the AppStore. I just don't have the time or money to get licensing for that.
But I believe you can just add the file to your iTunes and sync it with your iDevice, which is what I'm hoping you can do. haha

Anyways, I'm glad to have finally posted this up here on the boards. This looks like a nice place, full of talented people. Smiley
I hope to get to know a lot of you! Beer!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:08:45 AM by MrPaco » Logged

I hail from Martin2K. Check it out!
K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »

Hey MrPaco  Toast Right

I really like the style and the visuals. It's hard not to look back at my gameboy days without nostalgia tinted glasses so its always great to see new 8bit themed games being developed. The game looks fun and I love the idea of bonus levels (the more hidden levels, items and inside jokes the better in a game I always think) when do you think we'll be able to give it a play?

Also I'm not sure if you can circumvent app loading on iOS devices that way. It's true you can perform side loading for personal development and/or some types of limited official distribution (enterprise for example) without the AppStore and the Apple approval process, but I don't know how well that would work for indie distribution. That said I've not done any iOS deployment so take anything I say with a pinch if salt   Wink

MrPaco
Level 0

"What for dinner?"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:52:11 PM »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Despite only some of the historic restrictions being met, it manages to capture a very accurate retro-gameplay feeling.
I've been doing design for over 10 years now, and this was the first 8bit themed game I've tried. Good to know I've done well with the style. Smiley
I've had a quick look at your project, and you certainly know your gameboy themes! You provide an awesome tribute to an age gone by.

I really like the style and the visuals. It's hard not to look back at my gameboy days without nostalgia tinted glasses so its always great to see new 8bit themed games being developed.
I quite loved working with this theme. It's really crucial for a lot of designers out there to show some constraint with their games, and follow some rules that make up the particular genres we know so well.

when do you think we'll be able to give it a play?
At the very latest, it will be available Nov. 30th. But things are moving along so well, I'm sure I'll be done way before that mark.
Also I'm not sure if you can circumvent app loading on iOS devices that way.
I did wonder how I could manage such a thing, but I believe all you have to do is add it to your iTunes library and sync, which is how developers can play test their game on an iDevice before submitting to the appstore. I'm sure if I could do that, anyone else would be able to.
I don't plan on selling this game, so I'm not worried about people passing it around.
I just want my game to be played, and enjoyed by all!

MrPaco
Level 0

"What for dinner?"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »

Some more progress:

This is part of the final level, which is actually an extra stage for collecting all of the gems.
It features toxic water (that can be raised or lowered by toggles found, and affects floating items like those barrels), jumping mechanical fish, garbage cranes that try to toss you into the poisonous water, spike blocks, and a couple other nasty surprises.

It's intended to use mechanics and tricks you encountered all throughout the game, and apply them in a much more difficult environment, all while racing the clock to catch the fleeing Spudnik.

More to come!
Feedback/opinions/ideas are very much welcome!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:05:10 PM »

Any chance of a demo/test version?
K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:49:58 PM »

Any chance of a demo/test version?

Seconded .. if possible  Wink

MrPaco
Level 0

"What for dinner?"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »

I can let you guys try this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1567369/waterways.exe
It's the 2nd stage in the game, where you end up in the waterways underground.
Sorry about the 6mb filesize, but since it's just a slice of the game, all the internal sound effects and such still reside in it, weighing it down a bit.

Now this is also from an older build, and it may have a loose end or two. No bonus levels or anything, but it's still a fully function stage. Give it a shot if you like!
Control with shift and arrow keys.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »

I tried it out, overall it was good, but I had a few issues with it.  Mostly concerning the bombs that drop during the stage.  It seems some of them, it's impossible to avoid taking damage unless you know where they are ahead of time.  Also, their explosion looks just like a regular enemy explosion, but this one damages you.  Suggest adding unique art for their explosion, and don't make it so large.

I also think the amount of oxygen you get while underwater is a little low.

Also, you may have fixed this bug, but every time you go into a new room or restart from a checkpoint, the window size resets.
MrPaco
Level 0

"What for dinner?"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 07:20:04 PM »

Yes, all of those were indeed issues during the build at that time. Things have seemed to be a bit more correct since then.
Although, there may be things on other levels I may have overlooked.
BUT, that's what beta-testers are great for! haha

MrPaco
Level 0

"What for dinner?"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 01:44:28 AM »

Hey all! Updates have been made! Flug GB has reached the completion mark, but I'm still running it through some beta testers to make sure at least most errors have been ironed out.

Although I'd like to leave you with another screenshot, I do not want to give away anything regarding the final boss.
But I have touched up some graphics, and made the main menu a little better, mainly cleaning up the big title font.

I've seen two articles pop up recently that had Flug GB mentioned in them, with one of them providing a bit of a mini description about the game (On Kilted Moose's gameblog. I am so very thankful for that small spot!
I can't wait to release this game and have everyone try it.

Stay tuned!

DMJohn0X
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:03:58 AM »

Played through your stage 2 demo and loved it. This is one of those game I would've spent hours playing as a kid. Absolutely loved the Sonic references like Air-Bubbles and checkpoint. This game is great and has all the charm of old-school gaming without being ridiculously unforgiving. Good job, man. If you make a FB page for this game, I'll like and share it with my friends.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »

Ooh rad! I'll try this out when I have some free time!

play hydlide 2
Avgudar
Level 0

AVGUDAR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 12:41:31 PM »

I'll be sure to review it in a let's play. Panda

Avgudar avgudar gudar
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic