Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1026515 Posts in 41148 Topics- by 32750 Members - Latest Member: Nolan C.

July 24, 2014, 09:05:13 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsBroadSide: Simple 2-Player Strategy/Board Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: BroadSide: Simple 2-Player Strategy/Board Game  (Read 1592 times)
W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:40:22 PM »

BROADSIDE

A 2 player strategy game themed as spaceship combat. Specifically 2 larger frigates pelting each other pirate ship style (hence "broadside")

Currently I have a working barebones prototype of the game, and the real version I've been developing for a couple weeks.

* much of the art in these pictures is placeholder

RULES

Each player has 3 main things to worry about:
-1 column of 3 defense tiles (the shields)
-1 column of 3 attack tiles (the turrets)
-and the hull of the ship itself

each defense and attack tile can be upgraded by level, which uses 1 move per level

attack tiles can also obviously be used to attack the opponent, which also uses 1 move per attack (also you can only attack with a tile once per turn)

clicking the ship itself at the beginning of your turn will sacrifice that turn and add one to your total move pool.

when you attack the opponent, if they have the adjacent defense tile activated you do your attacks level in damage to that tile, and all the damage is blocked from the opponents ship.

if you hit their attack tile you do damage to both the opponents attack tile and the ship.

and obviously if they have nothing in the way you just do straight damage to the opponent.

There are other things involved as well, but not in the base prototype which is available to download here -> http://www.mediafire.com/?4xhcbmznxo74h1m

The real version is, while playable, a bit of a mess right now so I wont be making it available yet.

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:06:54 AM »

That looks fun! Can the ships ever rotate to change which shields are facing the opposing ship?

It might be fun if the ships have the option of having fore and aft cannons that can only fire if the ship has rotated 90/270 deg but these areas have weaker shielding (but conversely harder to hit due to presenting a smaller target). Just an idea  Smiley

I love the idea of taking classic sails and cannons style ship duelling and augmenting it with shields and space flight so looking forward to seeng where you go with this  Grin

W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:36 AM »

No rotation or anything. Its kind of set up like a board game, so there isnt any dynamic movement like that. But I am going to add abilities in. Each ship has one passive ability (starts with more moves, or a full row of level 3 shields...etc) and active ablities (things like an EMP that will disable a tile for a couple turns, or a cloak that makes your ship invisible so the opponent cant see what you are doing).

The active abilities will wont be able to be used until you have enough moves. So moves are sort of used like a resource.

W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:45:22 AM »

-worked a bit on the shield effects and how they change as you level them
-added in a transition from the game lobby to the game board
-fixed some sorting issues with the gui elements

next up
- make the tiles show feedback when moused over(right now the clickable areas have become a little obscured because of the new art)

- figure out a way to show the actual numbers for the tiles, now that I have replaced much of the prototype art.

** for comparison, this is what the game looked like when I was working on the core mechanics.
It also shows where the clickable tiles are behind all the art.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:04:33 AM »

Nice idea but will it support playing vs AI or it must be 2 player Smiley

W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:24:24 AM »

Nice idea but will it support playing vs AI or it must be 2 player Smiley

Right now its online 2 player (a working server list and everything). After the game is "finished", I may add in same screen multiplayer and possibly mess around with trying to do AI.

W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 02:40:51 AM »

http://youtu.be/UJCKV7itFlw

"gameplay" video.

My actions are a little akward because I have the other "player" open on my other monitor so I kept getting confused as to whose turn it was. But this was mainly too show off some of the effects and KIND of how the game works.

johnki
Level 9

Invisi-wizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 02:57:21 AM »

This looks pretty cool.

If you end up needing help testing the new version, I'd be up for it. Smiley

CorazonAzul
Level 1

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 05:51:23 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Pretty neat- I'm a sucker for battleships. Hope you decide to create a computer opponent.

Soul Compass - Gameboy style RPG
MASAMI Sushi Ace - NES style Puzzle
www.foxyboxygames.com
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 09:16:58 AM »

http://youtu.be/UJCKV7itFlw

"gameplay" video.

My actions are a little akward because I have the other "player" open on my other monitor so I kept getting confused as to whose turn it was. But this was mainly too show off some of the effects and KIND of how the game works.

That's looks nice just need polishing and particles and will be a nice game Smiley

You should consider if the two ship shoot from same turrnet at same time the bullet should be destroyed unless one of them its fire power is higher Smiley

Waiting for trying the game Smiley

W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »

@ corazon - I would like to ai. Itll just take a lot of work, this is my first online multiplayer attempt and its a little inefficient. So doing any other type of gamemode will require COMPLETLEY rewriting the game for that mode.

@ amidos - The game is turn based, so that actually isnt possible. But its a cool idea. Maybe an ability that somehow works that in.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »

@ amidos - The game is turn based, so that actually isnt possible. But its a cool idea. Maybe an ability that somehow works that in.

Mmmm.. nice Smiley when do you intended to finish it?

W3REWOLF
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 07:38:23 PM »

Mmmm.. nice Smiley when do you intended to finish it?

When it feels done pretty much. I'm going to just take it as far as I can before I lose interest.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 01:22:45 PM »

When it feels done pretty much. I'm going to just take it as far as I can before I lose interest.

Hope you don't lose interest before finishing it Smiley if you want encouraging :D I am HERE encouraging you Smiley

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 02:51:23 AM »

This is pretty neat.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic