Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038151 Posts in 41950 Topics- by 33562 Members - Latest Member: nought

September 01, 2014, 05:49:00 PM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsSportsNew World Songbirds
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New World Songbirds  (Read 1586 times)
Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:28:12 AM »

Hey guys.

This is an idea that I've been thinking about for a long time. I had a lot of different ideas about how to approach it, but when the theme of "sports" was announced for this competition, I decided I would take a crack at it as a simple fighting game based on mixed martial arts. In my opinion, fighting is the purest and oldest of all sports.

I'm planning to use a skeletal animation system which I foresee having certain advantages, but also certain disadvantages (such as making it difficult to animate like spinning around). We'll see how it pans out. I'm really most excited about all the juicy details, like dynamic blood dripping from noses, basic cloth physics, and that kind of thing. I also have some ideas about a dynamic soundtrack that layers on instruments as the intensity of the fight increases. I'm just gonna start very basic, and if it ends up being promising, I would like to expand into a full size project, once I've finished all my current commitments.

The most difficult part will be dealing with grappling and submissions, since that's the area where I have least personal experience. I did Tae Kwon Do for many years so I think crafting the striking part will be pretty easy. It might be useful for me to check out UFC Undisputed or that EA MMA game to see how they handle it. I'am also looking at games like Nidhogg, Hotline Miami, and of course regular 2D fighting games. If you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:35:59 AM by Gabriel Verdon » Logged

AD1337
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:06:57 AM »

Looking great, that art is very nice.

The game name doesn't seem so hot, though.

NightPatrol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »

Wow, this sounds cool! I'm going to follow this one for sure!
Ness Kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »

Sounds pretty ambitious. The artwork looks great!

Ever Toward a Better Yesterday: music; more is on the way, but it must first complete an arduous journey fraught with peril.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
eigenbom
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:23:59 PM »

could be quite cool, good luck! mixing physics and skeletal animation will probably be the trickiest part, depending on how solid you want it to feel.

Ashkin
Level 10

king of kings

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 12:59:35 AM »

EXCITE.
goshki
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 01:21:22 AM »

EXCITE.

Fighting? Physics? Therefore exciTITation, because this video is relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ_27W9oxls

Inanimate
Global Moderator
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »

Verdon, your work consistently amazes. I'm sure this will just be another beauty on top of all your other ones.

Also, in regards to evolving soundtracks: perhaps the music could be "call and response"? That would work well for a fight, since it emphasizes two sides reacting to each other. And then, when you get a good combo going, you basically start up an intense solo for your side.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic